Unlimited access >

DHH for Eventing/training advice

Hello there! Going to start off with; I would appreciate no bashing or rude commentsšŸ˜Š
I recently purchased this coming 4 y/o DHH (he was said to be DHH/Freisian) I am currently awaiting DNA results, just because Iā€™m curious!
Regardless, I liked him and my trainer signed off on him.

A little about him!
His name is Ty, heā€™s coming 4 per the vet (we donā€™t know much about him other than he came from the Amish and a friend bought him from someone who got horses from the Amish to break and resell)
Heā€™s currently 15.2 1/2, vet said due to some not so great nutrition he might be slow growing otherwise healthy and perfect! Heā€™s a little uncertain about things Iā€™m assuming from not being overly handled as I usually do with my young ones so we are taking it slow.

I am not familiar with DHH but I know a decent amount have made good jumping horses, dressage horses and Iā€™ve seen that some have made it to prelim.
I would love any critiques on conformation, exercises that I can be doing with him (on the ground as he is not backed yet) anyone that has dealt with DHH; it would be greatly appreciated!

15 Likes

I am not one to usually like the body type of DHH. Itā€™s always the croup angle that turns me off. Your boy however is lovely!! Back is not overly long like many of them and a nicely rounded bottom. :rofl: DNA results will be interesting.

4 Likes

Thank you!! Yeah some of them look funny and some of them look really nice! Iā€™m excited to see my guy muscled up!

Heā€™s cute!! Iā€™m curious to see the DNA results too. Sometimes you can DNA them through ADHHA/KWPN-NA as well and find their sire.

I have a rising 7 DHH/Morgan gelding that I just love to bits. Theyā€™re generally curious, hardworking characters with a drive to try. The biggest thing with him was using his huge gaits to his own benefit to get him through & over the back. Generally, when I can lower his poll, he will work genuinely over the back and that helps keep their hind legs from flinging around behind them. Mine is generally pretty easy to put together. But I also have the very good fortune of working with a trainer who has had a lot of experience with the breed/type!

ETA: for on the ground work, I did/do lots and lots of pole work. If youā€™re in an area with hills, hand walking and long lining on those is great too! If heā€™s learned any aspects of driving before you bought him, that should come pretty easy!

2 Likes

I donā€™ have any conformation comments, training tips etcā€¦ I just want to say your new boy is gorgeous!! Good luck with him!

2 Likes

Omgsh he is way too cute!!! I need to find ways to encourage stretching down on the ground since Iā€™m not riding him yet. Heā€™s good in Vienna side reins at the walk but then he trots and puts his head upā€‹:joy::joy:

1 Like

Aww thank you!!

Hahaha I know that move quite well! It will come with time, promise!

1 Like

Super cute! Have fun with him!

1 Like

Wow, he is stunning!!! I havenā€™t had much experience with DHH (I have a P/T student with one who she basically ā€œrescuedā€ and he has had a LOT of issues with the canter - but he is a lot bigger and so hard to put together - and also had a bad start where there was ā€œno cantering allowedā€), but your guy is so nicely put together that I canā€™t imagine any issues - especially since he is so young!

Best of luck with him (I am a sucker for a beautiful black horse; the chrome is a bonus :heart:)

2 Likes

Your boy looks lovely. I have a 2016 KWPN-NA harness bred. He is 17.1 currently, and hopefully foreverā€¦.with a very long back and neck. Less than zero jumping ability, but that is possibly exacerbated by a dodgy hock.

Yours does have a shorter back than I might expect in a DHH. But they are all individuals.

Has yours free jumped? I would suggest you go by that more than any other theories/stories about the breed. For an event prospect, it might be better news for you to learn he is a cross, rather than pure DHH.

Temperament wise, the DHH are often very people oriented. Mine is somewhat like a 17.1hh chihuahuaā€¦. So yes, ā€˜people oriented,ā€™ but in a very particular way. Lol :laughing:. More like single person oriented. And mine has been extremely slow to mature physically. But that is likely due more to him being oversized than to his breeding.

1 Like

Aww poor guy!!
Mine seems to canter easily in the field, he is a little weak on one side but all horses have their good and bad sides.
Thank you so much!:heart:

I havenā€™t free jumped him yet! I gotta find a place to haul him out for that since our barn doesnā€™t allow it :frowning:
Yes Iā€™ll be interested to see if he is crossed! The DHH seem to be very similar yet be individual on how they look and what size they mature to. Thatā€™s why the vet says he could still grow quite a bit, at the same time I have seen DHH be 15.2 range and stay there.
Iā€™m okay if he stayed that size but ideally would like in the 16 hand range lol

Ty hasnā€™t been handled a whole heck of a lot so right now he is definitely in a phase of, people=doing things and I donā€™t feel like that since I havenā€™t had to do much in my few years of life
But once heā€™s out and about heā€™s happy and curious. So Iā€™m sure onceā€™s heā€™s more bonded and used to being handled daily and working he will become more people oriented.

Any idea how heā€™s bred on the Dutch side? Or at least generally where he came from? They can be tough. If heā€™s US breeding, they tend to be easier. The first ones, around 20-25 years ago, were TOUGH. My mother and a friend of hers were breaking them early on. They got a lot who had already been to a trainer or 2 ā€¦or 4.

Generally, they are easier if they are started early, i.e. as yearlings.

1 Like

I know nothing of his breeding unfortunately, I think the lady would get them from New Jersey?
Hopefully his DNA results will give some insight.

Yes, I feel like most youngsters are easier if handled at a young age and start tinkering with them. But heā€™s not bad at all for his age and not seeming to have done much. Heā€™s not fond of bridling but heā€™s not a complete nightmare, heā€™s taken to lunging and voice commands quickly. His biggest things right now is not super great at picking up his hind feet/ little kicky and he does not care for things above him I.e saddling or me standing on a mounting block. But Iā€™ve only had him a couple weeks and I think he will come along just fine. Needs time and bonding

Heā€™s very cute!

I donā€™t think equine dna testing will tell you much. Youā€™ll likely get a crazy wad of data back that doesnā€™t add up.

2 Likes

For anyone looking/curious on updates with my guy. He is now named Murphy!
And he has come such a long way in a short amount of time especially because heā€™s not ridden super consistently. Iā€™ve never owned a horse that tries their heart out as much as he does.
He turned into a true buckskin over the summer (heā€™s out 24/7 and refuses to stand in any shade)
He went to his first XC and was amazing
First show and was amazing, brought home a 1st and 3rd !
And then we went to our first big environment show and he was great. No ribbons but thatā€™s my bad on my riding that day lol

23 Likes

Heā€™s lovely!!!

2 Likes