Diagnosing causes for stopping at jumps

Wow that’s a great idea!

Are there any unrecognized shows with levels lower than Starter he can try? I think I would want to find out, first, where he is comfortable and happy. If he can do a 2" or 18" course and feel confident, or if even that is too much. I’d start at the absolute lowest level I could find, and make it as low-key, low pressure as possible. If that’s too much for him, then it’d be either starting over and going up slowly as/if his confidence builds, or finding him a new job.

I would maybe also try counter conditioning with sonething really reinforcing, like his favorite treats. Food can be really powerful. Have a bunch in your pocket, and give him one after each jump. Make it as fun and rewarding for him as you possibly can. If there are negative feelings towards jumping now, then just “going to work” might not be enough to change those feelings. Basically, regardless of what method you take, you are looking to replace anxiety or uncertainty with good feelings and clarity, which leads to confidence and enjoying the work.

2 Likes

I read some where (sorry, no reference) where they “seduced” the horse into jumping by rewarding each successful jump with a piece of carrot. After months(?) of rewarding the horse this way for EVERY jump came the next step. Since the horse stopped to reach around and get his carrot piece they could not show.

So gradually, as the horse’s faith in the rewards grew, they gradually coaxed the horse into multiple jumps before stopping for his reward. They gave a piece of carrot for each successful jump.

Then came doing this for a course of jumps, like a show class. The horse’s faith in his coming rewards remained constant, but they found out that the horse could COUNT, that he knew how many jumps he had jumped and he expected his carrot piece for each jump fed to him after finishing the course.

4 Likes