Unlimited access >

Did I need a fourth cat? 7/28/23 Update: Kittens are grown up!

Yeah, 7 in the house, which equals total chaos!

4 Likes

You must have, because she found you. That’s how it works.

She is a tabby and she is looking at you as though you should consider your choices carefully, so perhaps her name is Minerva. She could be “Mini” to her friends, or, if she proves to be wild, you could then say “MINI you are on my NERVES.”

9 Likes

You are under-catted.

Fortunately, a solution to your problem has been presented.

16 Likes

I like how this question was posed in the past tense, indicating you’ve already accepted that you HAVE a fourth cat.

The very definition of a rhetorical question.

11 Likes

Poor little thing - she looks scared to death. Sweet, but scared. I love her big ol’ eyes.
Thank you for catching her and caring for her.

4 Likes

LOL! I didn’t need #6 & 7 either, but they showed up behind the shop at work one day. I believe they were dumped, as they were about 4 months old and friendly, and my work is less than a mile from the local humane society where they require a donation when dropping off animals. Someone’s “trash” is definitely my treasure. Things like this happen for a reason, and I also believe cats have a way of choosing us.

12 Likes

“Happy”
“Peace”
“Annie” (as in Little Orphan Annie) if she’s a girl

3 Likes

Awww, glad you decided to keep her! I like Rackonteur’s suggestion of Annie :smiley:

4 Likes

A little update for our small kitty:

She is still very timid, but can be coaxed into sitting into my lap. She won’t sit for long before she wants to go back in the cage.

I noticed the first week we had her that she seemed a bit round, and her nipples were dark and big. . I was hoping it was just worms but after watching her waddle – not walk – back into her cage last night, I think our little kitty is pregnant. Her belly is much bigger than it was last week. :open_mouth:

The 23rd cannot come quickly enough!!

19 Likes

I had a stray barn kitty be very full of kittens when I took her in to get spayed! We dodged a bullet on that one. I hope she holds them in until her spay date? Maybe they can get her in sooner??

She’s so pretty and has such a sweet little face. I hope kittens hold off making an appearance before the 23rd. Poor thing looks young to be having babies but I know it happens and quite frequently at that.

Have you decided on a name for her yet?

I think we are going to call her Bug. :bug: :heart:

I had to cancel the appointment, or really, the vet suggested a reschedule unless I wanted to bring her in for an x-ray to see the kittens. The vets can’t administer any shots or spay with her being pregnant. I trapped her on the 1st, they said normal gestation is 58-67 days and to bring her (and kittens) back in 3-4 weeks after they are born.

I’m waffling on whether I want to do this in house or send her to someone; the ACO gave me some contacts for people who short-term take in cats and raise the kittens. I may go that route as I really don’t have any experience with newborn kittens.

5 Likes

I believe it goes without saying that we will need many, many kitten photos.

11 Likes

You probably won’t need any previous experience with kittens because mom will take care of everything. Years ago a pregnant cat showed up at our place and had a litter of kittens within a week. She bathed them, fed them, washed their behinds, taught them how to deal with dogs, taught them how to use the litter box–in short, everything a cat needs to know. All we had to do was sit back and watch. When they were 8 weeks old we took mom and kittens to the vet. Mom was spayed and lived her life with us; vet found new homes for all the kittens. It was a magical experience.

16 Likes

You probably won’t need any. My foster mom’s did everything for their kittens, I just provided plenty of food for her and got to love on the kittens. :grin:

Regardless, love Ms. Bug!

6 Likes

Unless something happens to make her abandon them, she will be just fine raising the kittens. Just provide her with a secure area where she feels safe, a nesting box (a cardboard box she can get into with towels or a blanket you can change out every day or so will be fine) and then let her be. One their eyes start to open, you can start socializing them. Of course, you will be handling them and providing photos to us WAY before that! :wink:

If she does abandon them, or isn’t caring for them properly, then you can worry. But really, you’ll need KMR, a bottle with a tiny nipple, the patience of Job, and tiny little cotton pads to wash them every two hours when you feed them.

7 Likes

You should try keeping her and let her do her “Mum thing”, you most likely won’t have to do anything other than provide food and water when they start to eat and a low sided litter box when they start going potty themselves. I would call the contacts you have and ask them if they will take the kittens if the mum abandons them, otherwise let mum do her thing and sit back to watch and enjoy. It really is a great experience and I think you’d make a great grandma beowulf to kittens.

7 Likes

The only thing I would add is to get a foil baking pan for the kittens as they are low enough for their little legs and some of that S’Wheat step litter. That won’t hurt them if they decide to sample it (as babies do).
A used laundry basket or box and voila! birthing parlor.

How far along do they think she is?

2 Likes

Two kittens so far!!! She was letting me pet her and was purring when I came home. Did her litter box, showered, and checked on her on my way out the door and there are two little kittens! I unfortunately had to leave to meet someone at 8 who is dropping off a transported car — SO is on standby and will be changing the towels as soon as we’re positive all have been cleaned and are nursing.

I knew she was pregnant but no idea she was this far along. I’m so glad we trapped her.

19 Likes

You may need to change the cat number in your thread title! So good of you to take them in. Congratulations!

4 Likes