Unlimited access >

Did I need a fourth cat? 7/28/23 Update: Kittens are grown up!

That’s a good sized baby for such a little mama! Hopefully she will stop there. Hopefully.

But a group of little kittens…omg. so much fun!

And I guess this answers my question. LOL

3 Likes

Awww!!! Babies!

4 Likes

Wow, he’s a whopper of a newborn!

So glad she asked you to let her in your life, and just in time!

5 Likes

These babies are big for such a small momma! So far there are four. Two tabbies, one solid black, and one black tuxedo. Momma got transported to the big dog kennel (it’s so big I can sit in it comfortably.) Made a kitten crib and put a little Wi-Fi cam up to leave momma alone. During the move to the big kennel SO snapped a photo of this one.

30 Likes

So cute!!!

How is the Momma doing? I’m sure she’s exhausted. Sounds like she had the babies before you could make any other plans. It was meant to be. :smile:

6 Likes

What a good momma. I hope four is all she has, they’re big for such a little thing!

7 Likes

Squeeee! I told you she’d take care of things! :slight_smile:

The only thingI might worry about is leaving them in the crate like that - it looks like they could get stuck between the wires if they started crawling around. If they can be in a box in the crate, that will be safer for them, and warmer, too.

8 Likes

Maybe cut up some cardboard boxes and use the pieces to line the inside of the crate. May not need to be too high, just enough so the kittens can’t get through or stuck while they’re tiny. You could poke holes in the pieces of cardboard and use zip ties to hold them to the crate.

4 Likes

She’s being such a good mommy. Start feeding her kitten food so she can keep up her weight and keep those big sluggers nourished, too.

8 Likes

This thread reminds me of why I love being part of this community. Kinder people would be difficult to find.

@beowulf - Congratulations on the babies and thank you so much for your kindness in looking after momma and little ones. You’re the best! :kissing_heart:

12 Likes

@Alex_and_Bodie_s_Mom & @RHdobes563 Yes!! SO noticed that this morning and spent some time before work lining the perimeter in cardboard. He also set up a kitten cam so you know I will be getting ZERO work done today!

Momma was affectionate to ME this morning while I was swapping bedding. That is a first!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I’ll take kitten food suggestions, she’s almost out of the bag of Purina kitten food I used to trap her. I think she’s eligible for an upgrade to something better. :laughing:

A quick video from this AM before cardboard and bedding change: Tonight I’ll be buying a food scale to weigh the kitties daily and will snap individual photos then.

28 Likes

Squeee! What a good mom! I loved watching her make air biscuits as the kittens nursed.

6 Likes

Cutest kittens ever!

Purina Kitten Chow (or whatever it’s called now) is like kitty crack. It may not be the absolute healthiest option, but I’ve never met a cat of any age that will turn it down, and it’s nutritionally balanced. If they still make the version that’s coated with evaporated milk, cats like that even better! Keeping the mama on kitten food (whatever brand you choose) until the babies are weaned is important, too, since she’ll be burning so many calories.

8 Likes

Squeal!!! She and the babies are precious!!! I’d definitely buy more of the kitten food you know she likes and maybe a small bag of another kind.

If you have a few brands you like, see if they make a kitten food. Sorry, that’s really no help at all, but sometimes its like an old horse, what they eat is the best. Lol

Loved that video!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

OMG, KITTENS!!! I love how protective she is of them - stretching that leg across like “Back off, chump, these are MINE. Look, but don’t touch!” What a good mama!

I agree that if she’s eating Purina Kitten Chow, there’s no problem with keeping her on that. Mine did well on Royal Canin as well, but it’s pretty expensive, and RC is hard to get right now. Tried them on Blue, but they didn’t really eat it. RC and Blue both make a canned kitten food, though.

4 Likes

They are BIG. It has been years since I had newborn kittens, but they were not much bigger than my thumb. These are MUCH bigger.

3 Likes

The kittens are precious and mama is beautiful. Big eyes and pretty face and coat. Thank you for trapping her and taking her in. Mama and the babies will have better lives because of you. :heart:

Of course, we want to see many pictures and videos!!!

Do your other cats know what’s going on?

7 Likes

They are really big! That photo of the kitten up close in a hand is my SO’s hand, and he is over 6ft tall - that kitten was the first born and is big!! Momma is also small which I think makes them look bigger. I don’t have any idea how she fit all four of them in her like that.

@ravenclaw the house-cats are totally aware there is some :sparkles: tomfoolery :sparkles: happening on the other side of the mudroom door, but I have not let them in that room since the little mama cat got trapped. She has not been tested for FIV/FeLV yet so I’m not taking any chances. My old lady cat is very concerned about all the squeaking and has been putting her whole arm under the door :laughing:

15 Likes

Be really careful with their access—we had an excellent mother cat who broke the necks of another stray cat’s outdoor litter of kittens :frowning: Never a problem with her own.

1 Like

OMG! Those kittens are huge!
Can’t wait until their eyes open and they start crawling.

3 Likes