Unlimited access >

Difficult Maiden Mare/Pasture breeding

:eek: :eek:

Fingers crossed for a VERY uneventful foaling!

1 Like

It’s good to know that pasture breeding is not as rare as I thought then, I stand corrected. :yes:

Live cover is more common, in my area I think, than pasture breeding. Plus, you have the TBs that require it…

Here’s jingling to an uncomplicated and uneventful foaling!!

Then in that case, I stand corrected. :yes: Of course, live cover is very popular with the TBs, or so I’m told (tongue-in-cheek)…

Good luck and jingling for an uneventful foaling!

1 Like

Beowulf, I think AI is very popular with the warmbloods. Obviously not the Jockey Club. My experience with Fjords is that live cover, particularly pasture breeding is most popular. I have bred my stallion on twice AI in the last 13 years. Most Fjord breeders have the same experience.

My silly mare seems to want to hang onto the foal for an inordinantly long time. The stress for me is that I am going far, faraway for vacation on Monday (IF Jr can’t believe we are doing something that does not involve horses) and I will have to leave any decisions about a foal to my trainer and tenant. It’s not clear how well cell phones or the internet will work, which is a really good thing in my opinion.

But back to the OP, I think trying pasture breeding would be worth trying and she should find a stallion owner willing to do it.

Difficult mares if bred at the right time with good semen really have some issue that is keeping them from getting pregnant. That may be the “repro” vet, as even highly thought of ones are just not Kathy and Jos. :wink: I did live cover my boys, and my difficult mare had to be bred AI as she needed a caslicks. Like you, I tried for 3 years, several repro vets, etc. Nothing. I decided to try the caslicks. Bingo. I put it in each year 2 days after foaling (not down tight), and had her inseminated. Opened her up about 2 weeks before her due date. She took easily each year, first cycle, one insemination - 10 babies, including a frozen breeding - thanks to Boleem!