Unlimited access >

Dimensions of a spares kit

I am bored.

I am also fairly handy with a sewing machine and I have a plethora of fabric of various types left over from other projects. Including some vinyl, and leather strapping.

I was looking into making my own spares roll. Then filling it myself. It looks like the only thing I really need to special order would be the trace and rein splice, and Chimacum has those inexpensively enough, especially when I apply the credits from my other purchases. The rest of the stuff we really already have laying around. Assuming my husband doesn’t mind me raiding his tool box.

What are the dimensions of the spares rolls you use? I have managed to find a list of the commonly found items, so I should be able to put one together easy enough. (I suppose I could just get all the tools and lay it out and make a template that way, but I don’t want to wait for everything to get here, see above about being bored.)

How do you attach the roll to the cart? “D” rings and zip ties? The straps that hold the whole thing closed?

Is there anything “extra” that isn’t on the normal list that you like to throw in there?

Did you use the Spares list from the ADS Pleasure Driving Rules? Those are required for showing in approved shows, if you plan to do that. I find the items there pretty handy for any driving you do away from the barn. And of course you can add things you find handy, because of something you experienced. You might want to consider carrying a box or basket, which can hold the roll of things, plus a halter and lead, bottle of water, bug spray and sun screen. Usually such boxes or baskets have a couple straps run all the way around them and a couple floorboards to hold them in place on the vehicle. We added 4 footman loops under the slat floorboards of cart to run straps thru, around the spares box, to keep straps in place. Footman loops are available from Witmers Coach Shop in Pennsylvania. Same item you run your breeching straps thru under the shafts.

On the roll construction, your width is determined by the longest tool. In most cases that is the leather punch, hammer or carriage wrench. Then you fit the smaller items in between them. No template because we may buy different brand, which measure differently. I would plan to fit MY SPARES in the roll, to keep them permanently in place. No borrowing from husbands tools. We have been amazed at the many times we needed those tools for something, glad the were ALWAYS there to save us or someone else!

Not sure how you plan to hold items in place, within the roll. I have seen buckle straps, velcro straps, string/cord sewed down to tie around each tool. They all work. Stuff just needs to stay in place when the roll is opened for inspection or to get a tool out. Many have flaps on the sides to fold over tools. Can be leather or fabric. Flaps prevent tool loss should the strap holding tool in place break or comes loose. I like our outer straps going aroind the outside that hold everything closed up.

For fabric, something tough, subdued color, to not show grease or most dirt easily. Canvas duck fabric, in cotton, is what the winter bibs are made of, pretty tough and available in many colors. I would wash and dry it first, get any shrinking done before putting work into it. It is also slightly bendable then!! Ha ha I buy it from Fields Fabrics, you can find them online if there is no outlet near you. But it can probably be found other places too.

A suggestion if you have synthetic harness, is carrying a spare rein and spare trace. It is truly difficult, up to impossible, to punch holes in most of the synthetics with a hand punch out “on the trail”.