Dirty Pony

In the summer I bathed this girl, then the next day she got a little muddy but not much:(

3 Likes

Absolutely NOT an Appaloosa. Dirt on grey pony bum.

8 Likes

@Phaedra1 I bow to the expertise your pony has shown in selectively breading herself in mud :open_mouth:

@cattywampus Minimalism :ok_hand:
Yet, effective App camoflage👍

1 Like

“I love grey horses. I have three of them myself, but cleanliness is a whole different subject. One of them does not like taking baths and he even unties himself if you’re not looking. His record of baths in one day is four, just to take him to a small show the next day.”

4 Likes

I have dirt-colored horses. Not because the dirt doesn’t show, it does, but it doesn’t hurt as much as a grey :laughing:

I grew up doing 4H and PC with a grey.

4 Likes

This horse was grey… but he never wanted to be so did his best to change it:

Even better, he would find manure piles before the weekly clean up and decorate himself with those so he offended the nose as well as the eyes!

8 Likes

Mud is like a free spa treatment

4 Likes

I was the groom for 8 Coaching Andulusians. I feel your pain.

They were dirt color most of the year except for coaching season when I would stay on top if it. I used TUBS of Orvus Shampoo and gallons of purple/blueing shampoo.

4 Likes

Ya, my best friend is Tide and Vetrolin White N Brite, though not the best for the wallet:)

6 Likes

:scream:
I cannot even imagine the Herculean Labor that must have taken!

My biggest trial was DH’s strawberry roan sabino TWH.
Keeping him clean to show was challenge enough! :flushed:

3 Likes

I had a Paint mare who was made out of Teflon (all that white stayed clean), a very light gray that was a pinto wanna be, and a Hackney pony on whom the mud didn’t show as much because he was bay. The gray’s favorite place was sleeping on the manure pile in the sun. So not only did he get mud colored, he also got some shades of green from the manure. He and the Hackney only got a cursory cleaning before being driven.

Rebecca

2 Likes

This is why I have a field full of bays…

I feel for you guys. I had a grey once…and only once :smile:

3 Likes

My Hackney is Master of Deception :roll_eyes:
I’ll approach the pasture, see him standing, apparently pristine…
Then he turns to show the other side *TA DA!*:persevere:

4 Likes

Bwahahahaha. My pink horse El Rosado (Rosy) looks like that at the moment; maybe a bit more of a greenish tinge. More snow in the forecast for later this week; some chance he will roll some of it off, and a better chance that he will improve his impromptu tinting when the snow turns to mud.
“Why I Like Bays.” The dirt doesn’t show.
Rosy getting rid of the stink from a bath-with-shampoo last summer:

6 Likes

Funny, my Hackney would do that too! I would go get him to go out for a drive and think grooming wouldn’t take long, then I would see the caked mud on his other side.

I still don’t know how my Paint mare stayed so clean. She had four white stockings and lots of white all over, and she’d be perfect. It was probably because I didn’t usually take her out, so she didn’t get as much grooming. No way to drive me nuts like the other two. I rode her a few times, but she wasn’t trained to drive as far as I knew.

Rebecca

4 Likes

I did not want a grey. Ever. If I’d known this guy was grey, I wouldn’t have said I’d take him (he was given to me from a friend of a friend that needed to rehome him, long story). I didn’t even know what he looked like when I agreed to take him, I make really good decisions like that. And he LOVES mud. Joy.

7 Likes

Well, I was going to tack the pony, he must have read my mind 🤦

6 Likes

He just wants to make sure you warm up your body properly by having to groom him a LONG time!

3 Likes

In my experience, being bay doesn’t necessarily help. :rofl:

2020-1-27-a

9 Likes