Unlimited access >

dislocated hip, help!

My wife got a phone call yesterday, there was a 2 1/2 yr old chesnut stud standing in a ditch, it had been standing there for almost a week, the guy who found him had beem bringing him water and feed during that time. He said the horse had fallen out of someone trailer while they were going down the road. Anyway he.called the sherriffs dept. And they contacted my wife who is a wildlife rehabilitator for the state of oklahoma. We get there and come to find he has a dislocated hip. He is the sweetest horse, we loaded him up and brought him home. We gave him some ace to help with the pain, and doctored an infected cut on his ankle and gave him some penicillin. And gave him some bute for the swelling. What.i want to know is there anyway to relocated the hip? I cant shoot this horse. He is too young and well mannered to see get put down.

Hopefully this is a BS post but if not, call the vet. Ace does nothing for pain, and horses are not wildlife. How on earth did you determine him to be 2 1/2 years old

1 Like

Take the horse to a vet hospital or have a vet put him down. I hope to God that you’re a troll and not a real person.

1 Like

If you are not a vet, how do you know he has a dislocated hip, are you sure that is what it is, not his stifle is hung?
There is a way to turn a stifle loose, but you need to first know that is what you have there and nothing else.

You really need a vet on that one, because depending on what it is, you can make it worse if you do the wrong thing.

Yes i know it is a screwed up mess. And my wife should not have been dragged into this. We are just doing what the vet told us to do since they pushed this horse onto us and we dont have the money to take him to the vet. But no it is not his stifle it is actually his hip is disclocated out of the socket from what everyone has told us who are “horse experts” . But who knows. I have never had tp.deal with any major injuries on a horse. Just trying to figure what needs to be done, if he can be saved, or if i need to get the poor guy put down.

People around here assume since my wife takes care or orphaned and injured wild animals that she is some kind of general animal doctor. And she is not. She knows her stuff on wild animals. But horse injuries are something to leave to a vet who went to school and knows horses.

Either get the horse to a vet or find someone to shoot him for you. Not fair leaving the poor animal to suffer.

If you phone around vets, you might find someone who is willing to help you out.

Where are you located?

2 Likes

shoot the horse or take it to a vet hospital (no portable machines are going to be able xray a hip).

Sorry but those are your ONLY options. Letting the horse suffer in pain is not an option.

In 25 years of horses I have never heard of a dislocated hip. Cracked, broken, yes, dislocated no. You need an equine vet to evaluate.

2 Likes

Well i was just talking to my wife and she had got a vet to come look at the.horse while i was gone to work. He said it looks like a really bad hip dislocation or breakage of the hip joint. So i guess we will have to shoot him.

Why didn’t you just have the vet euth when he was there? What the hell are you doing posting on a freaking forum when a horse is suffering? Do it now!

2 Likes

[QUOTE=xxMountainRiderxx;7056936]
Well i was just talking to my wife and she had got a vet to come look at the.horse while i was gone to work. He said it looks like a really bad hip dislocation or breakage of the hip joint. So i guess we will have to shoot him.[/QUOTE]

Here is a picture of the anatomy of a horse.
As you can see, it is very hard in all those very strong, thick muscles for a horse to dislocate a hip, more apt to break than dislocate, I think.

I don’t know how painful your horse is, but I too wonder why the vet didn’t euthanize him right then?
Did he said to give the horse some time, see if it heals?
If it is bad, you do need to go put him down sooner rather than later:

horse skeleton.jpg

I looked up this topic because I have a welsh with a dislocated hip. To be honest, I was horrified at how nasty peoples responses were. We are not sure how it happened, possibly jumping (she thinks she’s a deer.) I have had 4 vets here in the past week. She is on Tylenol, Bute, and ulcer prevention. She is a large welsh and they do not believe they can get the hip back in and moreover, believe it will just keep popping out. She is a pet. She can open every door i have. She waltzes right in and puts her head over my shoulder while im making dinner. She was abandoned here before we bought our home. She spent about a week in serious pain while vets came and went with xray machines, ultra sounds, iv’s, pain meds. She is now walking again, with a limp and with pain meds. they tell me that many small horses can live a long and healthy life with a dislocation. My vet showed me a video of a welsh with a limp who has been dislocated for 8 years and said the pony is happy and has a good life. I am still on the fence. She seems okay, but I don’t want her to suffer. She no longer seems like she is in pain. They tell me her body will adjust to the new hip placement and I just can’t wrap my brain around it. She gives kisses and leans into me when i’m cleaning her stall. She opened her gate just to show me she could so she is still up to her same tricks and was standing at the front door when i woke up this morning. Which is her normal. She breaks out and waits at the door for me to wake up. Her right rear leg is definitely lame and they say it always will be. I am suspicious and am afraid of what is to come. Her other three legs will get tired. She never laid down much, but sure loved rolling in the dirt in the summer. I don’t think she will be able to lie down anymore. Thinking of her suffering is torture. Has anyone ever heard of this? A pony living with a dislocation? I have respect for the vets that are treating her. They have never steered me wrong. This original post was from many years ago and I know things change. Thoughts? If your going to be an A-hole. don’t answer. I am living through a nightmare. I don’t need to be beat up.

You may be better to make a post in horse care form topic. This post in is Riders with Health Issues, and many don’t look at this. This topic from the outside looks like a topic about a rider with a dislocated hip, not a horse/pony with dislocated hip.

3 Likes

This was about a horse with a dislocated hip not a rider but since it was shot ten years ago it’s probably not real relevant. Agree to start a thread in horse care.

Animals have the great ability to mask their pain much more than we can.

Would you want to be forced to continue on with a dislocated hip? I imagine she is in pain and it sounds like you love her dearly and she is special but I personally wouldn’t put her through all this.

JMHO.