Unlimited access >

DIY antifungal, refresher, leave-on coat spray?

Does anyone here make their own sprays for use on girth/saddle areas? If I do a light workout on hot days my horse doesn’t need a full shower - she’s really only sweaty where the saddle was. I’ll curry her, but sometimes it’s so humid that her coat doesn’t dry quickly. She is prone to armpit scurf, so before it gets worse in the height of summer, would like something that might prevent fungus or crud in the damp coat. Maybe a simple water-based recipe with alcohol, vinegar, witch hazel or…? I’ve Googled and found recipes for leave-in coat conditioners, but I want something that will help with evaporation and antibacterial vs a moisturizer. Thanks in advance!

I’d just put a glug of your favorite “cleaner” in a bucket of water and sponge it all. I’d want the sweat out of the coat. Plain isopropyl alcohol would do what you want - speeds evaporation and may provide some antibacterial properties if you let it sit there for a bit. No need to scrape unless you just want to.

I 50-50 alcohol and witch hazel. It’s not hydrating, but it gets crud out of the coat after exercise and it fits the bill for “refreshing” since it evaporates quickly.

3 Likes

Thanks guys!!

A few glugs of either vinegar or vetrolin in a bucket of water has always been my go-to for this purpose.

2 Likes

Powder with zinc oxide. I use this one

It’s great in the winter.

1 Like