Unlimited access >

DIY Blanket Re-Waterproofing

I did do a search for this, but all the threads all seem to be nearly a decade old. So let’s see what everyone is using now. My dude lives out 24/7 (with a lovely comfy run in stall that he refuses to enter during wet weather) so it’s important that his blankets are very waterproof. I do wash my blankets with a mild detergent, but I’m looking for the latest, greatest re-waterproofing spray.

What do you use that works the best?

2 Likes

Orange cap spray from walmart - it’s in the camping section!

3 Likes

I also use the orange-cap spray from Walmart. I have 4 horses, so I buy it in bulk on Amazon.

1 Like

I actually clean blankets as a side gig :slight_smile:

You can get the wash in waterproofer but I actually think it sucks. It can make the other parts of the blanket that you don’t want waterproofed all gross. Not a huge fan, but I use it if requested by my customers.

The orange cap tent waterproof spray is by far the best. You need about 70% of a can to do one blanket. It smells horrid, do it with a mask on. Hang it to dry for 24 hours before you store it. The smell dissipates and once again it will smell like the detergent you used.

2 Likes

I’m not familiar with the orange cap stuff from Walmart so I don’t know if this will be more or less expensive. Its good stuff though! 303 Fabric Guard for Outdoor Fabrics

$6.48 per can at Walmart. 303 Fabric Guard in pump container $17.59 for 16oz on Amazon.

1 Like

OK, the COTH hive mind has spoken! I purchased 3 cans and will give it a shot. Thank you all!

2 Likes

i didn’t have much luck, but I’m also a terrible do-it-yourselfer

I used to use that stuff, and I still do in a pinch if something is getting a bit dicey in the middle of winter (GA, all rain, all the time), but I have about 6-8 rugs and that’s a lot of spraying and I found it really only lasts one season if you have horses out in all sorts of weather (and mud).

I used to use regular Star Brite (Amazon) which lasts a few seasons per application, but I just switched to the water based Star Brite based on the recommendation of a person who has a blanket business. And since it’s water based I feel a lot better about using my tank sprayer that is battery operated (easy to clean water based stuff from sprayer heads).

I use Camp Dry for my waterproofing. It runs $7-8 for a good size can and i get a whole blanket done. I have used both the green and blue capped cans. Application seems to last all season, no wet horse underneath. I also leave them hang at least 24 hours before userving or packingj away…

I use a liquid soap found in camping supplies, Dunham sporting goods stores, in an orange plastic bottle. Use a capful per load, cleans nicely for me, but horses are not pigs in mud either. I chose this detergent because it said “safe for Gortex and synthetic fabrics” used in hunting gear.

This sure beats the “olden days” of canvas blankets that got treated yearly with Thompsons Water Seal! Hang to dry for a few days.

StarBrite marine waterproofing for sure.

1 Like

I don’t shop at Walmart so never heard of this stuff. . . I wonder if Scheel’s has anything similar. I’ve
always used Schneider’s Nikwax and it’s always worked fine for me.

I remember trying to seal a canvas blanket with Thompson’s water seal in my small 1 bedroom apartment. The place stunk for a week! So glad those days are over!!

I like Nikwax as well.

I use Rustoleum Never Wet waterproofing spray. It’s about $15 for 11 oz and comes in a non-aerosol spray bottle, Home Depot, I think. It works well and is another option.

1 Like

Not to derail at all but how do you go about washing blankets? If you don’t spilling a bit of a business secret.

I really do try to get my blankets in for professional washing, a couple at a time throughout the summer. Well, I failed this year. And I’m now washing them myself because with 15 or so blankets needing washing and repair, the cost needs to be spread out over time. And I am out of time as we are now in the time of year where it may be 70 today, but may be a blizzard tomorrow. So I need my blankets at home, not at the cleaners.

And it has been miserable. I’ve been hanging them on a fence, we them down, and scrub with dawn dish soap and a brush. The outsides are pretty clean, the insides still look like there’s a layer of gunk/grease from having been worn for months at a time. I have a couple that apparently took in water from the inside seams and took FOREVER for the water to drain out. I’ll take them in next year for professional cleaning, so I swear I’m not going to try to take business from anyone as this is not a fun project. But surely there’s a way to do it where a ) I don’t end up more soaked than the blanket, and b ) they actually look and smell clean…

I have no problems spilling the secrets haha. Blanket cleaning is expensive!
So the #1 most important thing is the washer. You must have a front load extra large drum with no middle agitator. Sometimes you can get used ones from hotels or commercial ones, but truthfully the large load ones now on the residential market are more than adequate for even the biggest blankets. Essentially, you want one that’s advertised as being able to handle comforters.

My first wash on the blanket I add the soap of choice to the load. Use less soap than you might imagine you need. If you don’t your washer will over bubble. I then set it to pre-soak, bulky load, High dirty level, second rinse, all on cold.

Once that goes through I take it out and flip it so it’s either inside out or outside in, depending on how I loaded it the first time. Then, I run another cycle. Depending on the client preference this is when you add either your waterproofing or fabric softener (despite what some blanket cleaners say, I actually do think fabric softener can be used on blankets. But I only do so if the client wants it. It just makes the blankets smell way, way nicer). I set this cycle to be bulky load, normal dirt level, second rinse, cold water.

The second cycle is extremely important. Blankets don’t release soap from them like our clothes do. They will hold onto that soap and it can cause irritation to the horse if it’s not all washed out properly.

After that cycle, it comes out and goes downstairs in my basement where it dries for anywhere from overnight (summertime, everything dries quick) to a week.

I then either bag them up, or if the client has requested spray waterproofing I spray it and let it sit another 24 hours to let the smell dissipate before bagging them.

I find spray waterproofing actually works better than wash in, and you don’t ever want to use wash in waterproofing if your blanket has any fleece on the collar or anything like that.

2 Likes

Be careful using Dawn. Any detergent will strip the DWR (durable water repellant) coating, which is what causes the water to bead up and run off. You’re better off using a non-detergent/pure soap cleaner if you don’t use the more expensive sports or technical wash products like Nikwax.

1 Like

Blah. This crossed my mind after I was a couple blankets in. My theory on dish soap is always “they use it on baby ducks, should be gentle enough”. But that probably doesn’t apply to waterproofing :weary:

Thank you so much! I always wondered just how industrial of a machine it would take. Doesn’t sound like it requires anything crazy. Think I’m going to go hit up market place now for a front load…