DIY boot zipper repair?

Sigh. I just redid the heels on my tall boots -TS Donatello’s(?)- from 2018ish and the first ride afterwards, one of the zippers split apart from the very bottom. I got it to reunify with beeswax and lots of work and rode again yesterday, but it split again as I took the tack cart back to the tack room. I have to fix my car’s AC and redo the house electrical panel, so new boots aren’t in the cards right now.

The source of the problem seems to be at the very base of the zipper. Has anyone had any luck in getting a zipper reunified and then sewing/ glueing it to just above the defect so the zip doesn’t go down to that part? I think I’ll still be able to get my foot in and out if I do that….

Yes, I have done that --not with a boot, however, with a jacket. Instead of glue, suggest you take a needle and thread it with dental floss. make a few passes through the zipper to stop the slide from going lower into the split.

2 Likes

I repaired a half-chap with a cheap zipper repair kit. Basically it was re-aligning a few teeth, attaching a new pull, and pulling it closed with a special set of pliers.

1 Like

Thanks to both of you. Where did you get the repair kit?

JoAnn’s Fabrics. I’m sure there are plenty on-line.

I did this. I’ve ridden in them once since and so far, so good!

1 Like

Yeah! FYI I did fix a zipper with the “clamp” one can buy on line to stop the tab from going past. It didn’t stay on or work as well as dental floss

I actually have a leather repair kit with an awl and heavy waxed thread. My embroidery needle broke quickly but the awl needle (detached from the handle) could make it thru the zipper fabric. So I used that needle and thread. I could get the new stop tied much tighter that way.