Unlimited access >

DIY saddle cover

So I was thinking that making my own saddle cover seemed pretty straight forward. But I know that the CWD covers have a spot where you can pull your stirrups through so that you can ride in it! I would really like this feature for when it’s sprinkling or snowing and I can still ride outside but I’m afraid to because I don’t want to spot up my leather. I have found one on the market but… it’s kind of ugly and it would be around $30 to my door. Does anyone have any ideas for how to make one with pull-throughs that could still be used as a regular cover that helps keep dust and dirt and cat hair at bay? I think CWD has velcro flaps or something… And what should I make it out of? The outside of course needs to be water proof and I’d like it if the inside would resist scratching my saddle. Help me brain storm! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=haybaby15;8337669]
So I was thinking that making my own saddle cover seemed pretty straight forward. But I know that the CWD covers have a spot where you can pull your stirrups through so that you can ride in it! I would really like this feature for when it’s sprinkling or snowing and I can still ride outside but I’m afraid to because I don’t want to spot up my leather. I have found one on the market but… it’s kind of ugly and it would be around $30 to my door. Does anyone have any ideas for how to make one with pull-throughs that could still be used as a regular cover that helps keep dust and dirt and cat hair at bay? I think CWD has velcro flaps or something… And what should I make it out of? The outside of course needs to be water proof and I’d like it if the inside would resist scratching my saddle. Help me brain storm! :)[/QUOTE]

I have made polar fleece saddle covers without slits. I traced around a thin saddle cover to make my pattern.

It would be easy enough to add in the slits with a flap overhanging so when you just store the saddle those slits would be covered.

You would need some elastic to go around the front and back of the saddle and the fabric and sewing time. Once you have it fitted, then measure where you want the slits to be. then you could make a cover like a ‘pocket’ and sew it over the top of the slit.

problem is lining the saddle cover could make the whole thing slippery to ride in. I would suggest either polar fleece or flannel and both would provide a slip and shine!

Saddle covers are not hard. I made a newspaper pattern from the saddle, way to big so I had room for error, and just sewed a pocket for elastic.

If you want something waterproof, flannel back oilcloth - vinyl table cloth material - would work.

If you want an opening for stirrup leathers, make it out of the same stuff. I would reinforce the edges, top & bottom, with bias tape. You could put Velcro to close it, or just make the top piece about 1-2" oversize so it just overlaps when not in use.

This is one of those things that you really don’t need to overthink. So says the engineer/seamstress who could make this thing bullet proof.:lol: