Unlimited access >

Dlete

I would add that there are 2 important skills we develop as we become more effective at using forums and more mature as well.

1. Posting succinct coherent accounts of the problem with details of the care of tgye horse. Like: I dewormed with Quest Plus 4 months ago in April. She gets 20 lbs of 2ns cut Timothy a day and a ration balancer. She is worked w t c 5 times a week with 2 foot 6 jumps 2 days a week. Pregnancy is impossible given her timeline over the past year. Etc.

2. You need to weed out the replies that donā€™t apply, and not feel you need to argue or defend yourself from the best guesses of a group of skilled adults acting in good faith. Concentrate on the answers that seem useful to you.

3. Accept that while you started the thread you have no control where it goes or in what direction.

27 Likes

why are u so invested in this thread omg. just leave it alone. I got my answer from a different website. just stop responding to my messages I donā€™t care anymore

thank you for your input but the ā€œHaving to quote you, EADoug, because original post was deletedā€ was unnecessary. there was a reason the original post was deleted and it was because I already found my answer. I deleted it for a reason. you didnā€™t have to quote anyone

Hereā€™s the thing, OP, itā€™s the nature of a forum, and believe it or not, other people may be interested in your question or the answers, or the chat may go on to discuss something different. It may start as your thread, but the discussion could continue long past your final postā€¦ No need to get salty about it.

Also, lots of people read the forums just to absorb knowledge. Maybe your question is one someone else had but never thought to ask.

32 Likes

I honestly donā€™t know why you are taking this thread so personally. I mentioned to EADoug that I quoted them because EADoug will get a notification of me responding to their post even though my comments were directed towards you. It was to provide simple explanation.

Also, this thread is not solely intended for you, despite you being the original author. A lot of people read these threads and will in the future come back to them looking for information. The thread can benefit other people if they are researching information with a similar topic. Just because you refuse to accept advice even though you ironically started the thread to get said advice, doesnā€™t mean other people wonā€™t find the post valuable and take others answerā€™s into consideration.

23 Likes

In a different tangent this post got me thinking about how we look at our horses. Sometimes we see problems that arenā€™t there and sometimes we miss blatant problems. People with obese horses donā€™t realize it until they founder and people will horses losing weight can say the horse looks OK when itā€™s sliding towards a Henneke Three NSC.

Being barn blind is an old expression, but I was also thinking of horsey dysmorphia where we seize on one little flaw and worry over it.

16 Likes

I would love to know what ā€œbetter adviceā€ OP got on another website given that they provided very little information here. Agree in order to give proper advice much more detail is needed, and that OP got thoughtful answers based on very limited info.

And hoo boyā€¦ OP found this thread upsetting? Was something significant deleted?

12 Likes

This is a very good question.

@kirium, please teach us something, what was the answer here.

4 Likes

I think the OP bailed after I said there was no issue with the horse and we need to guard agsinst fixating on details and look at the whole body. This was the second post on the same topic by the OP.

Of course the OP didnā€™t get ā€œbetter adviceā€ on a different forum. Thatā€™s just a young teen trying to save face by lobbing a mild insult at us.

23 Likes

You must be new here. It doesnā€™t work this way :slightly_smiling_face:

19 Likes

This is horses, there are no simple answers.

What does your trainer say? We can give you exercises but we canā€™t be sure you do them the way they need to be doneā€¦ thatā€™s what all riders need eyes on the ground for, to check their work.
Since you donā€™t know what exercises to do, that further suggests you need a trainer and more experience before you diy.

You work her five days a week, but doing what?
You got her in March (??), thatā€™s only a few months.
And she was thin. Sheā€™s probably been dedicating calories to filling out. She may need more calories, or better calories to build the muscle she needs.

Real fitness takes time, and dedicated work
Dressage is an excellent place to start for a young horse being retrained after the track.

9 Likes

I know you have left the building ( so to speak) but your mare doesnā€™t have a big belly. Just lacking a bit of top line muscling. I hope you didnā€™t heed any advice on working her harder and feeding her less because her weight looks good.

The picture angle and her having her head down isnā€™t showing us how she really looks.

Racehorses look like they do for a reason but our riding and competition horses should not look like that if we can help it.

4 Likes

I was just talking to my daughter about how some people cannot look at an animal and see it is either over or under conditioned. They also canā€™t see the horse losing or gaining weight. Some donā€™t even see when the horse isnā€™t feeling well.

We raised nursery piglets on a large scale for 25 years and it was a matter of life and death to the piglet and you had to be able to look at and assess them on a daily basis. I donā€™t know if it is a learned thing or just something people have within?

4 Likes

A gal at a barn bought a horse that really needed to gain weight - at least 75 - 100 lbs. Big, young TB, he was about a 3 on the scale. I asked her if he was on a good, weight gaining program and she said she was working on building muscle and not weight :thinking: Meanwhile, the horse continued to drop pounds. Iā€™m no expert but seems to me that putting weight on should be priority one, muscle building can wait.

2 Likes

Of course people often cannot look at themselves or their children either and see if they are too thin or too fat. Or if they have worrying health issues brewing.

3 Likes

Plus, if the horse doesnā€™t have enough calories coming in to convert nutrients into muscle, theyā€™re not going to build any muscle as every nutrient will be going to support baseline physiological needs.

7 Likes

Itā€™s been a while but I read an abstract of a study showing that the more weight issues a person had with themselves, the less able they were to judge healthy weight in their children and pets (and other people and animals in general)

Itā€™s also related to where you live, meaning, there are definitively areas of the country where a higher, or lower % of the population is more or less obese than the average of the country, and the more overweight your area is, the less likely you are to be able to see that at overweight.

So yes, itā€™s something someone has to first understand, and then consciously evaluate, until you get into the unconscious competence area.

Yes, you canā€™t put on muscle (well) if the overall body condition is too thin. You canā€™t build muscle if youā€™re not feeding it.

5 Likes

This is also mind boggling. I know we can try and ignore the obvious but when your clothes no longer fit how can you ignore it?

Health issues we ignore and I think that is pretty common. We know we are having a problem we just hope it goes away-- until it does or cannot be ignored any longer.

2 Likes

Yep. Putting on some weight is conducive to building muscle. Body builders do it all the time. Difficult to do when the body doesnā€™t have anything to convert to muscle and is using all of its fat storage for energy. Iā€™d much rather start working with a horse that is a 5.5/6 out of 10 versus a 4/10.

4 Likes

I think the OP is 14. My guess.

6 Likes