Unlimited access >

DNA testing/profiling site

I found what seems to be a newish service called DNAmyhorse that offers not only a breakdown on a horse’s ancestory/breed (?!) but also the possibility of matching with parentage.

Curious to know if anyone here has used it and really wondering the likelihood of a parentage match (when names of potential sires/dams are listed). I would like to know if they have access to DNA profiles from all IASG labs, or just their own? They claim to have linked horses to registration, curious to know how it is done (and the odds of a successful match - no point if it will be limited to a very small pool of DNA profiles only in some parts of the world).

Have a mare that was not breed registered but was quite a successful competition horse and has sire/dam information on her FEI paperwork. Verification of her sire would open up options of sporthorse registration for her future progeny.

Never mind….looked at their social media and saw a whole heap of bogus followers with odd names.

Would seem it’s a scam site. Bummer. Will go through proper labs to get DNA profiling done,

1 Like

Likely a good choice. Finding out breed through DNA testing results from a lab in the US come out pretty off according to the results I’ve seen on horses that were confirmed breeds.

If you know the possible sire and dam of your horse and the registry has their DNA on file, it’s best to test that way to prove parentage, or at least confirm the sire.

1 Like

If you are interested in registering your mare, we can probably help you out at the NAS. I don’t know how broadly we can search but we have been able to verify DNA for several adult horses that were unregistered for various reasons by checking against DNA samples with other studbooks. I’d be happy to ask our technical director to see if we can help if you want me to. Feel free to PM me or send me an email through the NAS website.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I’m in Australia, so not sure if you would have access to those studbooks? Having said that, with several imported stallions and the huge number of IFS foals here, I am guessing that we should be reaching a point where being able to search/match DNA profiles globally is a thing.

I think we might be able to help still as long as they are WBFSH members, but I’m not exactly sure. I’m still new in my role at the NAS but our Tech Dir would have the answers and I’m happy to ask her for if you would like me to.

you can’t determine breed/lineage with DNA testing, not like you can with dogs. You CAN determine parentage if you have a known database to work with. If you have FEI paperwork listing dam and sire, what has you wanting to do any testing - make sure it’s all valid? If so, go to the registry of each parent and ask for DNA testing against that particular horse to find out if it matches. If one or both don’t, then ask if they do a “group search” and search for a match in their own database.

I’m wanting to breed from her, I bought her as a broodmare (she is retired from eventing and has already had foals) and would like to be able to register her progeny. Although she wouldn’t be eligible for entering the actual studbooks, most of the registering bodies have a section for an identification level of registration for horses with 25% Warmblood breeding. She’s out of an advanced eventing mare (unreg) but by a trak stallion who was a very successful showjumper.

There’s a real issue here with people breeding sporthorses and not registering them, which causes headaches down the track for people like me- I don’t want to be part of that problem!