Unlimited access >

Do half pads change your seat

I recently started lessons again after a few months off and my new barn uses a thick half pad under their dressage saddle. I felt unable to sit deep and my spine felt as if it was falling in. I’ve been riding for 6 years and never felt this much soreness in my back or legs after a ride though I am assuming that it’s partially because I took some time off. Just wanted some feedback if anyone else feels as if half pads have ever changed their riding or comfort.

I totally think they do. I used to have a shimmiable pad from Total Saddle Fit that made my ride feel stiff and disconnected. Once I got a saddle that really fit my horse, I purchased a thin gel pad and I have so much more contact and connection now in the saddle. I think thick half pads block a lot of feel.

1 Like

I think they can but I think it depends on the saddle and pad. I actually just had my saddle fitted with a mattes pad yesterday. But the saddle fitter told me I will just have to ride in it and see if I like it. My saddle fits without one just fine but does have room for my pad which is not very thick. She said sometimes horses and riders prefer it but sometimes it’s the opposite.

I’ve ridden in other people’s saddles with half pads and never felt strongly one way or another. Now I have had opinions on certain saddles!

I expect the real problem is that the saddle does not fit you, and obviously does not really fit the horse.

I have a dressage saddle that fits me well. Depending on what my horse’s top line is doing, I use either an Ogilvie cloth baby pad, or the pad plus a Mattes sheepskin half pad. I recently switched out of the sheepskin. The difference is subtle. I have a touch more feel without it, a touch less jar at the sitting trot with it. But very subtle.

However a saddle that’s a very bad fit especially if the seat is too small can really mess up your ride.

5 Likes

Yes, a half pad can change the balance of the saddle which makes it not fit as well. However, it sounds like the saddle doesn’t fit you at all putting you in a uncomfortable position.

7 Likes

^ resident saddle fit expert here, so just echoing the wiser words than I have.

I am a hard fit, and all the things you mention are saddle fit issues for me.

I used to ride in a 18in but always thought that was too big but this saddle is 17in so maybe 18 was the best fit

It’s amazing how much an inch matters in seat size. I ride in an 18 inch Passier. When I was riding my coaches horse a few years ago the mare came with a 17 inch Passier saddle very similar to mine and it torqued my back trying to canter. Found a 17.5 Passier and it was ok.

Moving between brands also changes stirrup bar placement, depth of seat and center of balance for better or worse.

3 Likes

Not for me, but it was a necessary addition for my WB.
He, of Mt. Withers needed the lift in front when I used my Old Dependable Stubben.
Saddle was then 25yo, had fit a number of schoolies, shareboards & my horses up until this guy.
I ended up getting a semi-custom Maestoso that fit us both.
At saddlefitter’s advice, I rode without any pad for the first 2 months.

1 Like

Seat size is only one variable. The depth of the seat, the position of the stirrup bars and how well the saddle fits the horse you’re riding are all going to impact you. If the saddle is too narrow for the horse, it will put you behind the motion. If it’s too wide, it will tip you forward.

If this is not your saddle (it doesn’t sound like it is), I suggest seeing if you can ride in a different one. FWIW, I have saddles that range in size from 17-18" that all fit me but they are all built differently.

2 Likes

i was using a half pad until i found these, they fit really well, and i use them on five different horses and three different saddles.
https://www.lemieuxproducts.com/us/horse-saddle-pads/dressage-pads/ultra-mesh-dressage-square-grey#selection.color=6647&selection.size=6707

OH! just say a new one while looking for the link to put up here…so i have a new one on the way~! It’s ‘the right color of gray’ for my mare :slight_smile:
https://www.lemieuxproducts.com/us/new-in/anti-slip-cooling-dressage-pad-grey-one-size#selection.size=6703&selection.color=6647

I have a trashed SI, so I have my saddle fitted with a thin line pad under it. This makes a difference to my comfort, so I ride better which is better for my horses.

5 Likes

Same. Trashed SI and all.

2 Likes

I have a trashed SI. I don’t have a thin line pad. One can be changed …

It really does help some. Not a miracle cure, unfortunately, but there we are!

1 Like

Any particular model you’d recommend trying? As it happens I have a brand new saddle that’s a touch wide, I had it originally fitted for order with a sheepskin lined mattes pad. So likely can adjust flocking to accommodate one of the thin lines.

Mine is a Trifecta, I think. No sheepskin underneath, just lightly quilted cotton, but rolls front and back. Pockets for shims (I dont use them on this horse.)

1 Like

I also use a thinline half pad without shims. It makes my boy happy