Unlimited access >

Do you mix hay types in haynets or slow feeders?

If you feed bermudagrass basically free choice, + smaller amounts of e.g. 1 flake ea (weighed) alfalfa and timothy per day, can you just almost fill a slow feeder (accessible only at the top, like a PortaGrazer) with the daily ration of bermudagrass, then put the other hay flakes on top? The more palatable hay would be eaten first so presumably no frustration for the horse?

Thanks

Yep, I put grass hay & alfalfa hay in the same net with no problems.

Yes. I personally like to put 2/3 flakes of Bermuda than a flake of alfalfa or peanut hay and then another flake of Bermuda on top of that in my horse’s PortaGrazer. I like that he doesn’t finish his special hay first.

I am lazy and so often just dump the Bermuda hay in and top with the goodie flake cause it’s quicker.

When I’m extra lazy I stuff the PortaGrazer full of Bermuda hay so that it lasts two days and then daily toss his flake of special hay on top of the lid.

Horse is happy as long as there is some hay somewhere :woman_shrugging:t2:

Aha! Good to know you can make a hay lasagna. I was concerned that pandemonium might ensue if they can’t get to the primo hay first, but you make it work.

I’ve not had any tantrums over it. He just settles in and focuses on chewing lol.

My horse is relatively adept eating from the PortaGrazer. If I use the lasagna method without anchoring the PortaGrazer he might roll the PortaGrazer around a bit more. He likes doing that regardless though. I’ve had mine anchored recently.

I also use the lasagna method - my guy gets 2-3 flakes of alfalfa and the rest is grass hay. I usually put one flake of alfalfa at the very top and the other two toward the middle of his PortaGrazer. He usually only eats through about half of a full Corner feeder, so I want to make sure he gets all of his daily alfalfa.

I worried this was going to be a pain for the BM to do, but when I explained that she could just put 2 flakes of alfalfa on top of whatever he had leftover, a few flakes of grass hay, and the last flake of alfalfa on top, it was simple enough.

Yes and I never worry about what I put in first or last. They will eat it.