Unlimited access >

Do you think insurance would pay for?

Last year in June I learned that my horse has an old bone chip in his hind sesamoid. At the time there was other issues going on including switching farriers.

When one of my vets was out this week to give an osphose shot, we flex his ankle and he came up sore. We went ahead and injected his joint. Now I am wondering if the bone chip could be bothering him. I renewed my insurance last sept and of course listed the findings and now that leg is excluded. Would there be any possibility they would cover since it has been less than a year since finding out about the injury and other courses of action don’t seem to be help?

If they would not cover it, about how much does this surgery run?

There is more to the story but do not want to go fully into it.

I don’t think it matters if it’s been less than a year since the discovery of the chip if you are in a new policy year now and have an exclusion on this year’s policy.

[QUOTE=IPEsq;8637426]
I don’t think it matters if it’s been less than a year since the discovery of the chip if you are in a new policy year now and have an exclusion on this year’s policy.[/QUOTE]

I didn’t think they would but thought I would ask if anyone else had experienced the same issue. Kind of sucks when you try nonsurgical or less aggressive things and then after the policy year ends, you start thinking about the surgery.

Anyone have any idea how much this surgery runs?

[QUOTE=jay0087;8637462]
I didn’t think they would but thought I would ask if anyone else had experienced the same issue. Kind of sucks when you try nonsurgical or less aggressive things and then after the policy year ends, you start thinking about the surgery.

Anyone have any idea how much this surgery runs?[/QUOTE]

I have NO idea how much the surgery would run, but I totally agree with the 1st part of your post. The insurance companies really put the vet and the owner in an impossible situation a lot of the time.

[QUOTE=Dune;8637754]
I have NO idea how much the surgery would run, but I totally agree with the 1st part of your post. The insurance companies really put the vet and the owner in an impossible situation a lot of the time.[/QUOTE]

one of the reasons I use the insurer I do is because they offer 120 days past the policy year to continue working on an issue if it was being worked on during the policy year - and they offer a 1 year guaranteed renewal that means they won’t exclude the affected limb for the following year, either.

I pay a lot of $$ for this policy, but it’s worked out very favorably for me so far.

[QUOTE=soloudinhere;8637775]
one of the reasons I use the insurer I do is because they offer 120 days past the policy year to continue working on an issue if it was being worked on during the policy year - and they offer a 1 year guaranteed renewal that means they won’t exclude the affected limb for the following year, either.

I pay a lot of $$ for this policy, but it’s worked out very favorably for me so far.[/QUOTE]

What insurance is this?