Do your herniated discs areas make crackling noises?

Do your herniated discs areas make crackling noises?

I’m about 5 months out from my injury. That area makes a good amount of crackling/crunching/popping noises now, especially when I first get up or turn over in bed in the morning. (I move carefully all the time, btw.) It doesn’t really hurt when it does that. It usually makes it feel looser. It’s a bit unnerving/creepy, though.

Anyone know what causes those noises? Do they go away over time?

Thank so much !

(Please no one start with the “Why are you asking here? Ask your Doctor” thing. Of course, I’ll do that but you all often have great input & I want to hear what you dealt with. Thanks again.)

I had a fall off a horse back in 1994, and I had bad whiplash. My neck still crunches and pops, and it sounds and feels like sand or gravel in my neck sometimes. Much less now, but it is still there, and it never hurts. Creepy.

yep, same here; twonged my neck (horse-related, of course) and now my neck crunches. squeaks occasionally, too. no pain. (i rode three horses on sunday; my right hip squeaked for about 36 hours. :eek:)

i think it may also be called “getting old.” :lol:

let us know what your doc says; i’ve never heard an actual medical explanation for all our various pops and squeaks and cracks.

I think it’s healing, nut really don’t know.

I have a "slipped disc that sound like that…BTW it wasn’t diagnosed with the MRI. It was seen when my new doctor sent me for xrays bending forward and backward.

i think it may also be called “getting old.”

Thanks all. I see the point in the above, however my lumbar never crackled/crunched till I ruined them a few months ago.

I do. My neck. everytime I turn it – probably the result of a triple level fusion I had when I broke my neck riding.

But I would not have put this on this Forum. I do not consider this a disability, but rather an annoyance.

If you have ridden for many years, shit happens. Most people ignore things and forge ahead.

I just had MRI’s of my back (middle and lower) and the Doctor found many bulging disks and arthritic facets. I have ridden for 60 years and the news did not surprise me.

I don’t think it is the herniated disc per se, rather the displacement/irritation/changes brought about by the disc issue. I crunch and crackle, but according to my orthopedic docs (yes, I have 3…knee, shoulder, lumbar spine!:eek:), that noise is actually tendons popping across microscopic lumps or bumps. Air in bursa can do this too (think knuckle cracking). If your vertebra were actually crunching into each other back there, you’d know it!!

Thanks Calvin !