Unlimited access >

Does anyone have a 'No Breed Contract' they could share?

Thank you for your understanding and support. I love this horse and I will be happy to have her registered, not worrying about breeding her… I just need to figure out a contract and her breeder agreed he would sign with a notarized one. I don’t know what else would enable me to have her registered?

I haven’t tried to send in the registration without the signatures but when I’ve asked about it prior, I was told it wasn’t an option…

I’m a very large fan of sabinos and love that they’re becoming more popular in the show ring, I just wish my mares breeder would recognize it. They keep claiming to want to prevent these terrible ‘faults’ from being spread even though it’s through genetics and every horse they produce likely has genetics that can throw such an offspring.

OP, I am an equine lawyer. I suggest keeping it very simple.

Just type out something titled “No Breeding Agreement” Then state very simply, “In exchange for the breeder assisting in the registration of the mare, ________, sired by ___________ and out of _______ I, ________, hereby agree that I will not ever breed the mare and will have any future owner of this mare formally agree to the same.”

Put a signature line and then sign it in front of a notary and give it to him.

That should do it for you.

OP – I sent you a PM.

And before another lawyer gets on here and starts saying how this is TOO simple and how I’m leaving off venue issues and penalties and attorneys’ fees and arbitration clauses, etc, and then begins the debate about whether such an agreement is enforceable …

Yes, if someone came to me to draft a contract I’d put all that stuff in, but it sounds like the breeder just wants some assurance and keeping it simple is sometimes all you need.

[QUOTE=Sonesta;7274818]
And before another lawyer gets on here and starts saying how this is TOO simple and how I’m leaving off venue issues and penalties and attorneys’ fees and arbitration clauses, etc, and then begins the debate about whether such an agreement is enforceable …

Yes, if someone came to me to draft a contract I’d put all that stuff in, but it sounds like the breeder just wants some assurance and keeping it simple is sometimes all you need.[/QUOTE]

I think you are correct in saying that I think the breeder wants assurance. I am going to leave it simple but I would like to ask about the enforcement of such a contract? How could one enforce these things in the mare, if she is registered in my name, etc? Just curious.

Enforced?-No one can really enforce it at all. Same goes for most equine contracts-no sell, first right of refusal etc…not worth the paper they are written on in my mind