Unlimited access >

Does anyone have a 'No Breed Contract' they could share?

I have been waiting for the breeder of my mare to allow me to register her for several years. He finally agreed but now I need to have a no-breed contract notarized so he’ll sign off on the paperwork…

I’ve never written one and don’t want to be naive about it. I want to make sure all the bases are covered.

Any examples would be greatly appreciated???

Grace

Contracts like that generally aren’t worth the paper they are written upon so I wouldn’t worry about the bases too much, just put whatever language he wants in it.

Most rescues that don’t sell, but lease, have some sort of language to this effect in their downloadable paperwork. I’ve got a vague remembrance of The Thoroughbred Foundation (??) contract in this respect, but I could be way off base.

If you don’t want (or can’t) breed her, why do you need to register her? Just curious, as I refused to transfer papers to the new owner when I gave away my mare. I had a no breed bill of sale without Hanoverian papers.

Well, she was given to me by the breeder a few years ago and I am 21 and don’t have much show experience under my belt, other than local schooling shows. Of course, I’ve always wanted a horse I could show at bigger badder shows but until now, I haven’t had any way to get there.

She is an Arabian mare and they wanted to get her off their property as soon as they could at 6 months because she is sabino. She has blue eyes and a wide blaze as well as 3 tall stockings. Some rabicano coloration is starting to come through now even… This all excited me very much but the breeder says, “these are bad breeding faults” and that I shouldn’t pass these genetics on.

Anyway, this horse has pretty awesome lineage as well as great conformation and movement. I really would just like to be recognized for the hard work I’ve put in considering when I got her 6 years ago (when I was 15) she was completely unhandled and wild while now, I’m riding her.

This is what my friend calls my ‘heart horse’ and it would tear me up to have her go anywhere or have anything happen to her… I just would like to be able to show her in Arabian rated shows.

Totally understand! I just assumed she was a warmblood, but obviously you need her papers to do breed shows. In that case the bill of sale I have would not be of any help to you, my mare had a genetic/soundness issue and it was tailored around that.

That’s completely crazy. Some people breed for those traits ALONE, without considering conformation, bloodlines, or performance! LOL!

I know, it is crazy. This horse is perfect (I may be somewhat biased) and she has an awesome temperament… I’m just happy I’ll finally be able to register her, if I can get a contract ironed out! I’ve been asking and trying various tactics for several years.

I don’t claim to know anything about arabs so I could be way off but generally speaking it gets cost prohibitive to register an older horse. I know it would be 2k if she were a TB. Have you looked into that?

Yeah, it definitely is more expensive than if she were a foal but the price stops increasing after 24 months. Its about $350 or so… Which is do-able and it will be worth it for me. I don’t spend my funds on much of anything else! :slight_smile:

That’s good. A newborn TB is more than that so no big deal I guess.

Why not put it with the registration that she is not allowed offspring? Would the Arab people put that on the papers?
I doubt an agreement would mean much without a ton of money and lawyers, and then it would just mean more money if anyone needed to use it.
I wonder if it is about the color or some other “thing” that is passed on genetically.

I have no info to offer, but I would LOVE to see pics!

Not only does she sound sabino, but splash as well! Two blue eyes is quite uncommon. Have you joined HGS, or the ABN forums? HGS especially, has a big colour community who love to talk about all colours and markings alike:).

Would you mind sharing her pedigree?

I’m fairly certain there are no negative traits associated with this coloration and the breeders have bred the sire and dam together before and after, I believe without any negative effects that I’ve heard of?

She is by Amunition out of Shahlica, they’re both on www.allbreedpedigree.com

not sure how to upload a photo…? But I would love to!

And, I’m unsure of what HGS stands for? I have heard of the Arabian Breeders Network :slight_smile: I think I’ve made a membership but haven’t used it.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k19/gracey_lou92/CAM00118.jpg a (not so great) photo…

Wow! I just love the blue eyes and flashy high whites that splash can throw! And with her bottom heavy blaze there’s no doubt she’s a splash. Can you post a full body shot and a front head shot? Pretty please?:smiley:

I think the breeders mean about breeding faults, is that a lot of white in the show ring is undesirable. Although the trend is changing and you are seeing more arabs in the ring with quite a bit of white(check out Khartoon Khlassic, sorry I cant post the link:(). He’s a fantastic example of a splash thats doin` it right lol.

(HGS: Horse Grooming Supplies. You will get a ton of info on your girl regarding her markings.

[QUOTE=gracey_k;7272701]
I’m fairly certain there are no negative traits associated with this coloration and the breeders have bred the sire and dam together before and after, I believe without any negative effects that I’ve heard of?

She is by Amunition out of Shahlica, they’re both on www.allbreedpedigree.com

not sure how to upload a photo…? But I would love to!

And, I’m unsure of what HGS stands for? I have heard of the Arabian Breeders Network :slight_smile: I think I’ve made a membership but haven’t used it.[/QUOTE]

The only reason I asked is that reaction to color seems a bit extreme but maybe that is a real no-no in Arabs? She looks very nice and it is too bad that they feel this way as any genetics that caused this in her can be carried by her siblings and for sure in her parents. Not breeding her, if the parents and siblings are breeding, isn’t going to stop anything. You would just breed her to a horse with that consideration. But the actual papers, if possible, might be the best place to start. this.

It really is just reaction to color. Its sad but these breeders are very classical etc. with the ‘dark eye’ of an arab in their mind being tainted…

Another annoying thing about this is that they’d bred this mare and stallion together previously and they’d already produced a colt with blue eyes two years prior to when my mare was born… So, they thought they’d try again? And the girl who purchased that colt had been told she could register him Half-Arab, even though he was full. When she contacted the breed registry, they didn’t like this idea and she got backing from a lawyer who helped her write the breeders a letter and they grudgingly registered him.

I’m working on putting pictures on a website so I can attach a link though my internet is being super slow today!

But yeah, I’ve looked into all sorts of arabs with these traits… even more extreme cases such as (like you mentioned) Khartoon Khlassic and WA Outrageous… I’m part of a sabino arab group on Facebook also where I like to enjoy the eye candy :slight_smile:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k19/gracey_lou92/My%20Mare/blueeyes.jpg

Some Arabian breeders ( like me) breed for these characteristics!! They are by no means a genetic fault or something making your mare not eligible to be registered.

If you look at the 2013 Arab final winners-most all have sabino/high white socks and rubanico is a wonderful coloration that is prized. So I think your mares breeder is a little coocooo!

Good on you for getting such a nice mare-keep up your fight to get her registered! Call the AHA, CAHR and send in a hair sample to any genetics lab to get a parental test(you may be able to register her without his consent). Animal genetics is fast and reasonably priced AND you can test for disorders that are really something to worry about like CA or SCIDS