Unlimited access >

Does anyone have a TSF Shoulder Relief Girth?

I ordered a Total Saddle Fit - Shoulder Relief Girth and could not get it to lie flat on my round mare. It was really tight on the back edge. Has anyone else had that problem and, if so, what did you do to correct it?

You can give the company a call and ask about your specific issue. Talk to Justin. They have a great customer service and are not trying to push the product, if it looks that the girth is unsuitable for some horse’s conformation (their 30 day 110% money back guarantee).

TSF or anatomical girths in general do not work for all horses.

I have the TSF. Our horse seems to like it. It keeps the saddle in place and off his shoulders. In his case, there is an equal pressure on the sides, but there is less pressure on the front bulge under his belly. No gaping, just less pressure.

My saddle fitter said it was OK and quite typical for this type of girth.

When I approached the company about it, they said, sometimes, people tighten the first billet more than the second one and it helps with the pressure. At least, that’s how I understood the idea.

I don’t do it, since I have that equal pressure on the sides and he moves great in his TSF.

TSF is known to have this uneven pressure by the sternum, whcih does not seem to be occuring in the County and other shaped girths.

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com/horse-forums/total-saddle-fit-girth-vs-county-logic-546129.html

I purchased two at the same time after reading great reviews and was disappointed. Both of the TSF girths I purchased gap at the front of the horse’s sternums noticeably (two different horses, with different saddles and rib cage sizes). The sweat patterns on the girth and their belly’s were not even so I gave one of the girths to a student to try and the other now lives in my tack box.

Thanks everyone. TSF did not have any idea what could cause it or how to remedy. I wish they would have suggested I try different billet holes before I spent money shipping it back. But since I’m already out over $25 in shipping, I probably should try County instead of taking a chance on another TSF. Mine was also tried on two different horses/saddles and had a big gap in front on both, making me think I just had a faulty one. Perhaps TSF is not for big round horses.

I also had the same problem. Due to being in Australia was going to try sell it second hand, but might try the tighter first billet idea as it wasn’t THAT bad.

I have a Fairfax and don’t have that problem. Just as another reference point.

I have the TSF and it works. perfectly for me. Like all equipment, some stuff works for some horses, others it won’t work for. I’m sure a county or prestige would also work, but I tried the TSF for the price difference and the guarantee. OTOH, for me, with a regular girth on my horse forever pulls the saddle slightly forward. I don’t go around telling people all straight girths are all crap.

OP, you should only be out about $12. With 110% MBG, you should get $137.50 back. The girth should fit in a medium flat rate box for a return for $12.35.

Sometimes if there’s gaping it can be that you have too long or short of a girth, your saddle is placed incorrectly or the balance of your saddle is off. Your billets should hang vertically. This is what I’ve found at least (not a saddle fitter though).
Regardless, the majority of pressure placed on the horse by a girth is not in this middle part of the chest, but on the"corners" of the barrel. The horse’s chest is shaped more rectangularly than you think. I have 3 of these girths and the horses go noticeably better in them. My most sensitive horse can’t move without his on! As a combo with a well fitted saddle they are unbeatable. And the price is right, coupled with amazing customer service.

YUP. I had this same experience with my standardbred gelding. With his BC Eloquence X that fits pretty near perfectly - the TSF girth lays flat with good distribution of pressure. Then onne day I tried putting my mare’s saddle on him, a PDS Showtime w/ corto panel and the TSF girth gaped. I havent tried the TSF on her with the PDS as it is much too long.

I had tried using the TSF girth on a couple of arabians who I was struggling to fit - had gaping issues so sent the smaller girth back. The mare who uses the PDS I go between a Fairfax narrow gauge and one of those cheapo ovation gel curved girths.

I think there is a lot that goes into the fit of these girths. Horse conformation, saddle fit, girth fit.

Unfortunately, it was 45 days before I contacted them since I had to wait for my saddle to arrive. The girth was still brand new, only tried on two horses, but they would not honor the 110% refund. I would have hurried if I had known about the 30 day refund limit, but it’s not on the website anywhere.

I have had a County Logic do exactly the same thing. And Fairfax actually capitalizes on the gaping thing. I think that these anatomical girths just do this on certain horses (mine included). TSF is working on one that addresses this fore/aft issue for the horses that have it.

[QUOTE=lifes2good;8170778]
Unfortunately, it was 45 days before I contacted them since I had to wait for my saddle to arrive. The girth was still brand new, only tried on two horses, but they would not honor the 110% refund. I would have hurried if I had known about the 30 day refund limit, but it’s not on the website anywhere.[/QUOTE]

“Everything we offer is covered by our 30 day, 110% money-back promise”

Is on the front page… is also in the description of the girths…

I bought one a while back, and am quite happy with it. Horsey seems to like it, it fits him well, and we no longer have an issue with his saddle sliding back.

OP, what size is your TSF? Someone at the barn is thinking about getting one, so maybe they could just buy yours.

Thanks Brydie. I just went back out to the website and finally saw it in pale yellow on the home page - barely visible on my screen. When I ordered mine, a big banner popped up on every screen (even on Facebook and pop-up ads) saying 110% money back guarantee with no mention of 30 days (I looked very carefully for it after I contacted them). Banner is now gone. It was only $12.50, so no big deal. But I’m not willing to pay it again unless someone knows a solution. From these posts, it appears to be a known issue, so I had best just look for another girth. I really wanted the TSF to work.

[QUOTE=lifes2good;8171663]
Thanks Brydie. I just went back out to the website and finally saw it in pale yellow on the home page - barely visible on my screen. When I ordered mine, a big banner popped up on every screen (even on Facebook and pop-up ads) saying 110% money back guarantee with no mention of 30 days (I looked very carefully for it after I contacted them). Banner is now gone. It was only $12.50, so no big deal. But I’m not willing to pay it again unless someone knows a solution. From these posts, it appears to be a known issue, so I had best just look for another girth. I really wanted the TSF to work.[/QUOTE]

I know how you feel! At the moment I can’t afford to try anything else… and there isn’t that much available in Australia unless I get it from overseas… which now after this fail isn’t really worth it if it might not even work!

The TSF girth gapped for me too. You’re not alone, but luckily I sent mine back soon enough to get a refund, so was only out $11 on the shipping.

I regret not sending mine back when I could.

I ended up waiting too long. The issue I have is not only the gapping, but it pulls so far forward into the girth groove that it rubs his armpits and he gets MAD.

It looks like a beautiful girth, but it doesn’t work for us. He’s a tall guy with a deep (but somewhat narrow) barrel and it just squeezes right into the crease. Whole saddle ends up on his shoulder :frowning:

I have three, two dressage and one jumping. I also have the county logic girths. I haven’t had the gapping problem and I like the TSF girths because they are more padded and softer than the County girths, as well as cheaper. With one pony I have an adjustable point billet (bates innova saddle) so it’s easy to customize the tension.

My TSF gaped as well, sent it back and got a County Logic…no gaping with the County.