Unlimited access >

Does anyone have this bridle?

I’ve been thinking of purchasing the In Gate Hunter Bridle as a cheaper alternative to a Richard Castelow (maybe one day!). If anyone has this bridle, how is the quality and would you recommend it? Also how does it darken, compared to an Edgewood, for say? Also, if anyone knows of any other Richard Castelow alternatives, I’m open to them. Thanks! https://www.shoptheingate.com/products/the-in-gate-hunter-bridle-with-laced-reins

I believe there’s a whole thread on it:

2 Likes

I have it and I love it! Highly recommend.

1 Like

We do! It’s a lovely bridle and the quality is very nice. Our horse is a hard fit but Jimmy from The In Gate was great about working with me to put together one that fit well. I do need to take the noseband in to have the buckle moved but that’s a me problem!

5 Likes

I have one and really like it. Quality wise it’s lovely with the exception of some stitching irregularity on the back side of the reins, but I feel like for the price point it’s still a great value and it doesn’t bother me much. The proportions are pretty and Jimmy is great to work with.

Similar in styling but not as nice with the leather I have the Joseph Sterling from Schneiders to school in and while it took some more work to get soft, I would buy another: Joseph Sterling® Hartford Hunter Bridle | Schneiders (sstack.com)

I also saw this bridle in person and liked it though don’t own one to know how it softens up and breaks in: Sugarbrook Bridle Wide Noseband – BelleandBow (belleandbowequestrian.com)

1 Like

I have a Belle and Bow halter and if the leather is the same it’s a bit stiff and plasticy and didn’t fully soften and become supple. I don’t love it.

1 Like

I have both InGate bridles and Castelows. While there is no comparison in quality between the 2, the InGate bridle is great quality for the money. I generally buy them oiled already, which has them a little on the red side (not Edgewood orange). And then you can oil it darker from there. It still has a reddish hue to it- I like it better on a chestnut horse than a black horse. The only problem I have had with them is sometimes you’ll get one that leaks glue after you oil it. But after a couple uses and cleanings it’s fine.

The Castelow bridles are hands down my favorite piece of tack. The are a little darker on the brown side, no red- so I prefer it on a dark bay/black and looks really sharp on a grey horse. I do think recently they stopped making any new pieces of tack, but you are able to buy what they have in stock still. So if your thinking of it I would get one while you still can!

1 Like

I heard today his trailer is set up at Kentucky, which was a surprise given the health issues he has had!! But I definitely agree no one should count on them being readily available going forward.