Unlimited access >

Does anyone know if the Westminister dog show is going to happen?

I don’t see it listed anywhere. Looks like something in December maybe.

As of the latest update from the Westminster Kennel Club back in January- it is still going on in June but in Tarrytown. The AKC has been leaving it up to the individual clubs to cancel shows and while I only pay attention to performance and obedience events, it’s been a mixed bag on the east coast of who cancels and who pushes ahead but I imagine they’re going to try to hold it afterall.

1 Like

WKC has chosen to hold the show in June at Lyndhurst Estate in Tarrytown, NY. This is a beautiful venue. Show is slated for June 11-13. which is a Friday - Sunday event. I assume only daylight hrs. since it would be outside.

4 Likes

Yep! I am considering entering my dog only because of the location! He’s a competitive dog but I would never drag him into Manhattan for WKC. But for Lyndhurst Estate…maybe. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Please let us know if you do enter and share your impressions of the event and the results when June finally arrives.

2 Likes

I will. He needs to lose 3 lbs and get a few serious haircuts in between now and then…but I’m tempted. I haven’t had him in the show ring in over a year, so I might have to do some practice. The better option would be to get his breeder to show him, but I think he might have a few other dogs that are more likely to win. But…they may not send them from CA for WKC this year, so maybe.

I just want to go to Lyndhurst Estate. Who cares about the dog show. LOL.

WKC tends to be a pro handler exhibition. I have no issue with that, really. There are very few big upsets at WKC…if my dog won the breed it would be a huge upset because I have not been showing him. (He’s actually sterile, that’s why). But I would normally never enter WKC anyway. I can’t think of a worse experience for a dog that is not shown often - the over-crowded, multi-day Manhattan affair…ugh. My dog would be the one that gets dismissed just like in Best in Show.

2 Likes

Christopher Guest’s “Best in Show.” One of the funniest movies, at least for dog fanciers! I find it to be very accurate in many ways! Yes, I believe it takes a seasoned show dog to cope with the WKC experience. Altho I have attended as a spectator, the one time I had a dog entered I was at home. He was shown by co-owner and with no competition did get the BOS ribbon. I have the photo on the wall still, from some yrs. ago. Needless to say, he was a rare breed with few entries!

3 Likes