Unlimited access >

Does horse riding have to be dangerous?

This is strictly my own opinion but I’ve found that dangerous endeavors are always more fun.

2 Likes

A simple answer…of course. Horseback riding can kill you, in a second no matter how careful you are. Sitting on 1,000 pounds of meat that fears the wolves eating him. He runs, he bucks, he kicks…and you can be in his way. I’ve had friends die riding in simple accidents. I’ve sure broken a lot of bones over the years…last was a humerus 2 years ago. I also drive carriages, which is even more dangerous than riding astride. It’s a dangerous sport (so don’t tell your insurance company you ride, you may find your insurance cancelled).

1 Like

Riding horses can be dangerous if:

You ride the wrong horse for your skill level. Don’t wear a helmet. Ride in a place where an accident is waiting to happen. like on a road with cars or out on a trail where there are all kinds of spooky things (deer, loose dogs, people on bicycles) – ride in an open area where horse might decide to gallop back to the barn. Ride without a professional instructor present. Ride a backyard horse that someone said is ‘safe’ to ride – usuallly ends up with, “He’s never done THAT before!” – after he’s bucked you off. ETC…

Riding horses is far LESS dangerous if: You don’t do any of the above. Common sense goes a long way! And… DO choose a very reputable lesson barn where you can ride seasoned ‘beginner’ horses in a ‘beginners’ atmosphere with a learned ‘beginner’ instructor.

Just my 2 cents in addition to the very good posts here that urge you to climb aboard – and have fun – with safety in mind – not FEAR.

2 Likes

First, welcome to the horse world!

Second, take lessons from reputable places.
*A friend of mine started at a barn where kids would fall off regularly… It was considered as “normal”, NOT!

Yes, it is a dangerous sport. SO safety should be your first concern.
Don’t put yourself at risk and don’t let anyone put you at risk either. Being challenged and overfaced is different. If you don’t feel comfortable… follow your guts.

Wear a helmet no matter whar, and there are safety vests too (rigid and inflatable ones)

1 Like

All of my worst injuries occurred while I was on the ground working around horses, not falling from the saddle, so keep that in mind–learning to ride is not the only priority. You also need to learn how to safely lead, groom, tie, and tack up horses. I consider myself to be fairly experienced, and I have still been injured in freak type accidents.

We all want to minimize our danger when riding and working around horses, and wearing a proper-fitting, certified helmet, boots with a heel, formfitting pants, no jewellery, etc are all things a good lesson barn will teach you. It is also important to learn in a safe atmosphere, so I urge you (like other posters have) to check out some local riding schools and take some lessons. Even if you don’t want to jump or compete, you need to learn how to signal the horse, hold the reins properly, etc.

It’s a fantastic sport that brings me daily joy, but it isn’t shuffleboard, and there is no way to make it shuffleboard. I often marvel that I truly do put my life in my horse’s hands (hooves) at times and even though you try to be as safe as possible, crap can happen.

2 Likes

Lots of good advice above. I like that you’re doing your research before take your first ride. Knowledge is power! Now, I have been riding for over 35 years. I wish I knew “then” what I know now about safety. So, make it a rule to NEVER get on a horse, even to just sit on one, without an approved helmet. I know a LOT of folks near where I live who “just trail ride” and never wear helmets. It makes me cringe. I’m usually the odd-ball out with a helmet even riding western. So, don’t fall to peer pressure if you ever end up with a group that doesn’t ride a safely as you wish to.

Good luck! Enjoy the ride.

2 Likes

It is called managing risk. You are either the type to ‘have a go’, take calculated risks, and live your life, or you hide behind all the ‘what if’s’ and never step outside your comfort zone. If that is the case, I suggest not crossing the road, or driving to the store!! (please don’t read this as a snark, not meant to be.)

1 Like