Unlimited access >

Does horse riding have to be dangerous?

Hi, I’m a newbie, I never rode a horse before. I got interested in riding not so long ago. I’m looking forward to start English-style riding in the summer.

I understand that horseback riding is a very dangerous sport. However, is it so dangerous in every form? I read/saw that most severe injuries occur when trying to jump over obstacles, or during races.

I’m not interested in any of those activities, I just want to master the different gaits, and do field riding (or what it’s called, going into the nature with the horse), doing it safely, by walking and trotting, perhaps with occasional caters or gallops if the terrain is safe. No fancy jumping, maybe jumping over a log in the woods…

Now, I understand that you can never rule out injuries, as after all it’s an animal you’re riding. But by not going to the “extreme” side of the sport, paying attention to avoid kicks, and wearing protective gear (helmet and back protector), can the probability of suffering severe injuries be minimised? By severe I mean which causes irreparable damage, or an injury that lasts more than let’s say a month. Minor injuries are okay I guess, I’m willing to take smaller risks, I just don’t want to be playing with my life.

If taking these measures into account, can it be said that riding is not any more dangerous than other, non-extreme sports? If not, how bad is it?

Any comment is appreciated :slight_smile: Please forgive any technical/conceptual mistakes, I’m new to this sport.

No, the risk is not confined to small injuries if you don’t jump or race. Accidents happen and they can be severe even just handling a horse.

We we do what we can to be as safe as possible but even then, things happen. At the same time, you can be killed in a car or a plane could crash into your house or you could get fatal botulism eating a salad. Life is not safe.

horse sports of any type are more dangerous than your average sport though, since a 1,000 lb animal with its own mind is involved.

9 Likes

Riding will always have risk and danger to it. You’re climbing aboard a 1000+ lb reactive prey animal and even the most well-trained horses and riders can have a serious accident. Trail riding comes with the possibility of many unexpected things that can spook a horse (wildlife, loud vehicles, people popping out of the woods) and other possible dangers (holes in the ground, steep slopes, etc) but also the fun and enjoyment of exploring the countryside from the back of horse!

That said, most of us do all we can to mitigate the risk - wearing safety equipment, getting instruction to learn to ride correctly and with skill, and riding appropriate horses/attempting appropriate tasks for our current level. But there are no guarantees.

4 Likes

I would say riding has a risk that’s on order driving a car. That is to say, yes, bad things can happen, any time, even if you’re just stopped at a light, and you can be badly hurt even if you were smart and never did anything wrong.

On the other hand, you can drive your car for years and years and years and never be hurt at all, and that is how most of us experience driving cars.

I consider riding safe enough and valuable enough that I encourage my daughter to do it. I also volunteer with a group that does therapeutic riding with significantly disabled individuals of all ages.

Wear your helmet, get a good instructor with safe, seasoned lesson horses who teach beginners to ride every day, and I expect your experience will be positive and fun and health-positive.

9 Likes

Had a friend who had a heart attack while play chess, he lived.

As mention risk and the management of the risk is a key. Just learn slow moves usually are better than lightening blot moves.Also some breeds are just better at being around humans, just as some dogs .

1 Like

Welcome to the world of horses and horse people! :slight_smile:

I like that you said you want to master the different gaits. To me that says you want to take lessons, and that is the best way to go about it. I don’t know if any horse person ever actually “masters” riding – we’re always learning, always taking lessons (or going back to a trainer to take more lessons) – you never stop learning. If you want to concentrate on trail riding/hacking for pleasure, that’s great, getting out into nature with a horse.

Ask about lesson barns/yards in your area (COTH is a good place to ask because COTHers are so widespread you may hear about barns/yards and trainers in different areas). Visit barns/yards, talk to the trainers, watch some lessons, join the lesson program.

P.S. I just saw you’re in Sheffield. There are some COTHers who live in England. Goeslikestink is a very knowledgeable COTH English horsewoman (English as in she lives in England, not just rides “English.”)

Have fun!

1 Like

Riding will always be more dangerous than other sports, simply because of the huge animal involved. Things happen.

I was tacking up my saintly pudgy QH, when a HUGE carpenter bumble bee decided to land on his face, right between the eyes. My boy reared up with a speed and height I had no idea he was capable of. Thankfully, the break-away crown piece on his halter did it’s job. If I had been standing near the front of my horse, his hooves could have easily caught my jaw going up or crash down on my skull. Huge animals, things happen. After the rear, my boy just stood there, like “Oops. Sorry.” :lol:

It sounds like you’re going into this sport in exactly the right way, asking questions and getting lessons. Good for you! Welcome to the horse world, and welcome to COTH. :yes:

3 Likes

Anytime you climb on top of a 1000 pound, one hp engine that has a mind of it’s own you’re going to assume some risk. If you do it intelligently the risk can be minimized. If you do it foolishly you’re literally riding for a fall. Find a good teacher who will require you to master basics and lay with you a good foundation. That’s the safest way to begin.

Good luck in your new venture.

G.

5 Likes

Yes, it will always be dangerous. Many bad injuries occur when doing “non risky” activities like simply walking on a trail, leading or grooming a horse. These are large unpredictable animals with a strong flight instinct.

That being said, I don’t believe it is any more risky (and probably less risky) than popular sports like skiing, rugby or American football. Certainly you take more of a risk every time you get in a car than when you get on a horse.

Minimize the risk by always wearing a helmet when riding and working around horses. Learn from a qualified, reputable instructor who has safe, well-trained horses. Don’t take unecessary risks and if it turns out to be a sport you love, the rewards will far outweigh the risks!

3 Likes

OP, it sounds like you are needing to make an argument about this to someone, like a parent or spouse, who is terrified on you behalf :slight_smile:

The dangers of riding and handling horses become more manageable as the person gains more skills and horse sense. If you develop a better sense of balance in the saddle, you will stay on through unexpected spooks and moves that will land a less skilled rider on the ground. If you learn to move thoughtfully and deliberately around horses, and internalize a good saftey protocol, you are less likely to get stepped on or run over on the ground. The catch of course is that experienced horse people who have good balance and good horse sense are also the ones usually sent to handle to unbroke, green, hot or mean horses, so while they might never have an accident with a saintly pony, they raise the risk factor by taking on less safe animals.

Your best bet to minimize injury is to start yourself in a good riding lesson program, preferably one that also pays attention to handling horses on the ground, and to progress slowly at the speed you gain skill.

Some things you shouldn’t do, as a beginner: don’t buy a young horse or an unbroke horse. Don’t buy a hot or dangerous horse thinking you will be the one to gentle him. Don’t let anyone push you past your skill and comfort level. Stay away from fools and people who are acting obviously dangerously on their horses. Don’t mess around with strange horses that loose in a field, especially groups of strange horses. Don’t get on a horse that you can’t handle on the ground, or that seems to be having an emotional melt down. Don’t wear earbuds around horses, wehther that is phone or music. Don’t text and ride. Don’t ever mentally check out or doze off in the saddle. Don’t ride if you are feeling particularly tired or distracted.

Always check your equipment before you mount, girth, stirrups, reins, etc. Always wear a helmet and proper gear. Always pay attention to everything around you, and to your horse’s attitude and emotions. Always try to be present in the moment.

6 Likes

Driving a car is insanely dangerous ,much more than any other activity except war. 35,000 people die in US alone a year in cars maybe 1 million ,at least worldwide in year!
The most dangerous thing you do is get in a car, if you survive the crash the risk of devastating life changing injuries are very high.
Because we drive all the time we naturally get accustomed to it and forget the risks. We became habituated to repetitive behavior and mis-judge risks. Basic human behavior.

However to minimize risks drive the biggest ,safest car you can afford. Wear seal belts . I know orthopedics who wear helmets in their cars.LOL
Unfortunately the death rates in cars is rising back to before air bags, more ever year. The cause is cell phones, even talking hand free on a cell is equal to driving intoxicated.
If you like riding go for it you are already taking incredible risks everyday when you get in that car driving 60 MPH loaded with gasoline with others doing the same thing all around you, drunk ,stoned or texting…
enjoy your pony!

2 Likes

Not to sound scary, but I am disabled now (traumatic brain injury that led to epilepsy) from an on the ground accident. I was tacking up a horse in crossties, someone spooked it and he reared, busted the ties and fell on top of me, crushing my head with his jaw and screwing up my neck pretty badly as well. Anything can happen at any time. I recommend wearing a helmet during any type of horse handling.

1 Like

Like other parents, I hear a lot of this since I have a child who rides. I do what I can- make sure she has a well fitting helmet, remind her of dangers/being safe, and got her a vest to ride in to offer a little protection when she falls.

Right now my kid spends a fair bit of time at the barn riding and handling horses. It’s a weird balance- the more she is around horses, the more she learns and will hopefully be safer. On the other hand, the more she is around horses more chance of something happening!

A few months back after some one got a concussion from a fall at our barn, the same week a friends child got a concussion from ice skating (really they should be wearing helmets!) and another slipped and fell in the school bathroom and ended up with a concussion. And don’t even get me started on gymnastics, hockey and football. Go to a gymnastics center and you will see team members practicing even with casts on their arm or leg. My niece broke her leg playing soccer.

So… it’s a balance. I don’t care for my daughter to be jumping more than a couple feet or doing any of what we tend to see as higher risk horse activities, but for now, we are willing to deal with the risk. But follow the rules! They are there for a reason!

1 Like

Yes. It is dangerous. But again, if you never take any risk, you never live.

With that said, smart people take mediated risks. It sounds like you are asking all the right questions, and do the right things, so your risks will go down dramatically.

I think the biggest risks involving horses are the vigilance needed, which is where most beginners (and many more advanced horse people) fail. You are dealing with big animals, which can kill you without meaning to do so. The carpenter bumble bee example given to you earlier was a good example. Any good horse can do that. Cheap Trick mediated her risk with a breakaway halter, which probably saved her life. If she were holding fast to a lead rope to a non-breakaway halter, she could have easily been pulled under the horse, and be landed on top by it.

Most publicized accidents are jumping and racing related, but most accidents happen during “low-risk” activities, like walking and grooming. Even just sitting on top of a standing horse. Say, something unexpected happens. The horse jump side way. This is natural (you will do that too, jumping side way without thinking). Unless you are skilled enough, and have reflex enough, you most likely will end up on the ground. Now imagine you are five feet above the ground. Your helmet will probably save your brain, but it will not save you from breaking a bone, or tear a muscle.

Anyway, find a good lesson program, read a lot of books, get on only safe horses, and you should be well on your way to a seasoned horse woman.

2 Likes

I also think riding teaches you skills that are good for your long term safety and health.

For example, I am a better driver because I learned to ride horses in crowded arenas before I learned to drive. I learned to keep a respectful space from the horse in front of me (it might kick) and to be watching all of the traffic around me that had no lines to stay inside and no traffic signals, and predict its behavior. I have never been kicked by a Honda Accord … and I have not rear-ended one either. :wink:

I learned to move slowly and quietly in my life, which benefits me not just around horses but around other animals and even frightened people.

I have an athletic activity I enjoy that keeps me fit and makes me want to stay fit, an activity that I can and plan to practice my entire life, even into my senior years. My friends who run or play soccer or volleyball will probably not be able to continue in their 70’s due to joint injuries, risk of falls, etc.

It is a thinking athletic activity that is good for developing your brain and keeping your neurons active, and for developing very good balance, and being sharp of mind is probably the most important thing for your health and safety when you are elderly.

5 Likes

What poltroon said. :slight_smile: Every activity has its risks and its benefits. In my case, if I weren’t riding, I’d probably still be smoking a pack a day and drinking to excess. :lol: Considering I ride a very well-mannered kind quarter horse, I think I’m much safer riding than not. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Anything is dangerous. If we aren’t putting ourselves at risk, we are at risk by others.

The thing that I have learned is to know my horses and their moods. So often we don’t listen and don’t see when our horses are behaving out of character. They are feeling really, really good today but we get in a hurry and don’t get the excess energy out BEFORE riding, because we don’t have the time.

They are really resisting at something and we push them through anyways because we must always have the upper hand. So many times an injury can be prevented if we just get off , or wait another day, or don’t push the issue today but wait until our horse in in the right frame of mind.

Most horses are pretty honest and willing if we give them the chance to tell us.

1 Like

With the Queen still riding at 90 I guess it is really, really dangerous, except she has the right pony.

Copy of an abstract of a study in “Journal of Family Practice”: BACKGROUND:

[I]Horseback riding injuries are responsible for an estimated 2300 hospital admissions annually among persons younger than 25 years of age in the United States, but injury rates, patterns of injury, and risk factors for this population have not been well studied.
METHODS:

Study participants were selected from a list provided by a national mail-order company that sells riding equipment. A total of 557 persons younger than 25 years of age who rode horses at least six times a year completed survey questionnaires.
RESULTS:

Among the study participants, 34 (6.1%) had been hospitalized at least once because of a riding injury and 153 (27.5%) had been treated by a physician within the previous 2 years for such an injury. The overall injury rate was 0.6 per 1000 riding hours. Among those injured, sprains or strains (41.8%), lacerations or bruises (40.0%), and fractures or dislocations (33.3%) were the most common types of injury. A total of 27.5% of those injured sustained concussions or other head injuries. Riding 15 to 24 hours per month (odds ratio [OR] = 2.04), being female (OR = 1.81), and riding English style (OR = 1.77) were the characteristics most strongly correlated with injury.[/I]

I tend to think of it in terms of risk management vs danger. You can usually avoid serious injury most of tte time if you consciously manage all the risks that are within your control. Helmets; boots, gloves; body position; correct handling of leadropes; proper tying techniques; equipment in good repair; constant awareness of surroundings and of where your horse’s attention is focused; training the horse; and most of all, NO SHORTCUTS. These are examples of good risk management. Not following these kinds of rules is dangerous behavior.

But, even after you do all that stuff, it’s possible to get hurt. But it’s much, much less likely.

Now, the really big challenge is how do you gain the experience that you need to do and know all of the above? Take lessons from a reputable stable / trainer. Pay close attention to “near misses”–where something kinda scary or surprising happens to you or others around you–those near misses are a BIG signal to stop, ask more questions, ask someone experienced what could you have done differently to avoid that. They’re a helpful warning that conditions are right for a real accident to happen. If the barn seems to always be having near misses, it may not be a good place for you to learn. If you haven’t done something before, stop and ask. Never, even after 20 years of riding, assume you know all there is to know.

Good luck and welcome to this awesome community!

5 Likes

Good advice already given in the above posts. The right instruction, the right horse, and the right safety equipment.

The other side of it is: once you get the hang of it, and/or find a way to connect with a horse whether on the ground or in the saddle, it’s really, really, really wonderful.

3 Likes