Unlimited access >

does my thoroughbred need an ulcer supplement?

I have a 9 year old thoroughbred gelding, he’s never raced, I’ve had him for about 3 months.
I had an instructor come out to help with some flat work and she recommended I put him on something like Ulc-R-Aid. He doesn’t have symptoms of ulcers.

Is this something I should consider?

First, I would ask her what her reasoning is or if she saw any signs suggesting ulcers. Many people feed supplements for preventative maintenance. If you don’t mind trying it, it probably would not hurt (about like you taking tums every day even if you don’t have ulcers/GI issues.) However, If I did not see any changes after about 30 days, I would not continue to waste my money on an unnecessary supplement.

[QUOTE=quarterhorse4me;7217343]
First, I would ask her what her reasoning is or if she saw any signs suggesting ulcers. Many people feed supplements for preventative maintenance. If you don’t mind trying it, it probably would not hurt (about like you taking tums every day even if you don’t have ulcers/GI issues.) However, If I did not see any changes after about 30 days, I would not continue to waste my money on an unnecessary supplement.[/QUOTE]

This, or the best option (IMO) would be to PREVENT them by ensuring management is optimal for preventing ulcers: forage available at all times (hay or grass), limit stress, and using a proven preventative during times of stress (trailering, moving barns, showing,etc), and making sure if the horse is eating grain, that it’s a grain that isn’t conducive to ulcers (like a high starch feed).

[QUOTE=quarterhorse4me;7217343]
First, I would ask her what her reasoning is or if she saw any signs suggesting ulcers. Many people feed supplements for preventative maintenance. If you don’t mind trying it, it probably would not hurt (about like you taking tums every day even if you don’t have ulcers/GI issues.) However, If I did not see any changes after about 30 days, I would not continue to waste my money on an unnecessary supplement.[/QUOTE]

Well, she suggested it just for a preventative. But I wasn’t sure if that was something I could do. She had a lot of experience with thoroughbreds and she had all her guys on it

[QUOTE=SuckerForHorses;7219015]
This, or the best option (IMO) would be to PREVENT them by ensuring management is optimal for preventing ulcers: forage available at all times (hay or grass), limit stress, and using a proven preventative during times of stress (trailering, moving barns, showing,etc), and making sure if the horse is eating grain, that it’s a grain that isn’t conducive to ulcers (like a high starch feed).[/QUOTE]

I agree with this advice plus I would feed some alfalfa – hay, cubes or pellets. Alfalfa helps buffer stomach acid and it is has been shown to both prevent ulcers and help them heal. I believe the study was done by the U of Texas.

My own OTTB gets alfalfa pellets as part of his ration, free choice hay and 24/7 turnout.

I personally wouldn’t buy an extra supplement to prevent ulcers if a horse doesn’t have them when this is something that can be managed by feed.