Unlimited access >

Does rider weight affect how you are judged in the hunter ring?

I’m a bit of a bigger girl (230 lbs) and have a horse now that I really want to start seriously showing on. However, I’ve heard that some judges do take into account a riders weight because a heavier girl doesn’t give the perfect “hunter picture” Does anyone have any experience with this. I’ve always been told I have a nice seat, and I have tried to lose weight.

I competed against a lady a few weeks ago that kicked my skinny butt! She was quite large and had some lovely rounds (at Thunderbird) and placed in the large hunter classes, against pros when she deserved to! Also, my barnmate, is not “hunter elegant” but is a terrific hunter rider on a gorgeous horse and placed 2nd in one of the Derbys!! So, to answer your question, yes you can place if you ride well and are appropriately mounted and your horse puts in a hunter quality round (just to add, TBird brings in top judges!)

4 Likes

As long as you are on a suitable horse, you should be fine. I would think the only time most judges would take rider weight into consideration during the hunters would be if it was a welfare issue.

It really depends on the judge, as do most things in hunters. I would encourage you to show, just work extra hard on your position so that it shines in the ring. Of course I give that advice to every hunter rider :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The horse I have is 15.3 but “thick” lol I normally would think I needed a taller horse, but since he’s built I think I look decent on him. I will continue to try and lose weight, but my thyroid not working makes it very difficult!

I’d say it depends on two things.

1. The judge. It’s a subjective sport, they may or may not have a preference for the “hunter picture”. You’ll never really know if your weight had a bearing on your placing anyway.
  2. We’ve all seen heavier riders with beautiful equitation. These riders are quiet, balanced, and aren’t distracting. We’ve also seen the heavier riders (and thin riders) who don’t have the strength to stay out of the horses way, who bounce and lean, etc. Be the first rider no matter your weight and the judge will have a hard time bumping your trip if it was indeed nice.
2 Likes

Agree with GoodTimes- great post.

The only other thing I’ll add is properly fitted attire (this is for everyone but I am specifically talking about this thread now).

I used to show against a larger rider. She was impeccably turned out, her horse was happy and she kicked butt, generally. Even though she was larger it was a good picture. Fast forward-

I, too, was at a schooling show (run like an A show) this weekend. A rider (about the size you described yourself- guesstimating) was there. Unfortunately, her clothes were ill-fitted. Jackets waved in the heat and the shirt was either too small but the button by her stomach wouldn’t button and she was wearing a white tshirt under it. But it was not a good, clean picture. And yes- her eq was decent (but it was a hunter round). There of course were other issues (horse did not look happy, chipped) and her trainer was like “You got robbed” (she got 2 lower ribbons). When she showed at the show last time, her jacket was very tight and open in some places. She did remark “My jacket almost fits me”. Her trainer if extremely proper so it is a little surprising…

Next day a lean rider showed same horse, horse looked happier, still had some minor bobbles but placed higher (so many factors could be different - I am just saying it was a better picture).

I’d encourage to buy sizes that fit properly, regardless of the size tag.

Signed- Pennywell Bay- If it wasn’t for margaritas and Oreos- I’d be a lean machine…

1 Like

Your mileage may vary, but I haven’t encountered any issues in my two seasons in the hunter ring. When I returned to showing as an adult (after eventing as a junior), I had some apprehension about the hunter ring and its subjectivity. I can honestly say, however, that I’ve pinned when I deserve to, and generally did not pin when I didn’t deserve it. If anything, I’ve gotten some ribbons that I felt were a bit generous, but its difficult to judge as I rarely get to see all the other rounds, and both horses are pretty nice and I think get some bonus points when I mess up. The mare I’m borrowing this year, in particular, is a super lovely hunter and it seems like the judges try to reward her on the flat if I’ve messed up over fences!

In short, I would not worry about it - ride to the best of your abilities. If you find eight jumps in a good rhythm and your horse is suitable, you will do well unless you are competing at ultra competitive shows/divisions.

The “Hunter picture” is good form from the horse and a rider that stays out if it’s way and does not create a negative effect on horses form. Sometimes build can figure in but not specifically because of size, because they interfere with the form of the horse.

Have a long time close friend whose a big, tall gal, heart of gold, very knowledgeable, really tries. But she doesn’t ride often enough to really get strong and tends to lay on the neck later in her courses. Not the worst on doing that but where a smaller, lighter built rider wouldn’t have much of an effect on that big horse, she tips him forward landing. She’ll tell you that too.

But it does effect her scores and people tend to incorrectly assume it’s the size, not the technique. She’ll tell you that as well.

So the answer is really the old " it depends".

Weeeel - who remembers the judge who wrote PL on his scores - meaning Panty Line - you could not expect an unbiased score from anyone who thinks like that, right?

1 Like