Unlimited access >

Dog anxiety/restlessness

We have a 12 year old basset hound that is in excellent health. He visits the vet for senior bloodwork at least every 6 months and we’re proactive with noticing any changes that may need a sooner visit. He walks 1-2 miles per day on flat ground and visits the dog park frequently to bark and pee to his heart’s content. He takes a daily probiotic, joint supplement, eats Nulo limited ingredient kibble with extra veggies for fiber, and has a monthly Librella injection. He generally is a very happy guy, tail always wagging, and is well adjusted to all daily activities.
Around 10/2022, he began pacing the bed at night and we started Gabapentin after he was diagnosed with cognitive decline. We also implemented a thunder shirt, CBD, and pheromones. After his 2 housemates passed in Feb 2023 and May 2023, the cognitive decline symptoms resolved and he no longer needed the medication to sleep at night. We got a year old puppy in Oct. 2023 whim he gets along well with and seems to enjoy his company when we’re away at work. The puppy respects him when he’s had enough puppiness and they seem to be developing a nice bond.

We have noticed that he “false starts” at times where he’ll be lying down (awake or asleep), standing, sitting, whatever and will randomly jerk to attention or at worst will jolt up and walk a few steps. These episodes last for less than 5 seconds and does not bother him during the day. Yesterday he was false starting more than usual (3x in an hour period) during the day and then had a hard time falling back to sleep after waking up around 5:15 am. He would rest and then jolt awake prior to falling asleep. The jolting seems to be more disorienting (or annoying) at night which he will continue to pant and pace around the bed.

I would like to avoid Gaba if possible because he seems to be more stressed as he comes out of the sleepiness and does not seem to address the underlying issue (anxiety, restless legs,???). He’s too hot to wear the thundershirt at night. The vets were hesitant to place him on an anti anxiety medication the first time around.

Has anyone experienced this? Anyone have a calming supplement that they recommend?
Cute pic for making it this far :heart_eyes:
IMG_6269|375x500

I had an older dog who started with some cognitive decline in her later years that presented as anxiety. I had some luck with Composure Pro for a while.

1 Like

Thank you! This looks like a good ingredient list and the price is right.

1 Like

Lion’s Mane mushroom are great for memory loss on older animals (humans included!). Its not a calming supplement, but has been known to help with memory loss and even Alzheimer’s. I wish I had known this years ago with my 14 year old lab who would get “lost” almost every night. I think it would have helped him settle.

I purchase capsules off of Amazon and add them to my pups meal every morning (she’s just 2 years old but I do give her Defenders which has 7 different mushrooms in it, including Lion’s Mane). Just make sure you get a good quality one.

I put my older dog on Composure Pro.

We got a puppy this past fall and the squeaker in the stuffies sets her off and she gets super flighty and uncomfortable with the squeak. We put all stuffies away and the only thing that squeaks are the kong tennis balls which, after months of the Composure, she has realized is not going to hurt her and puppy can squeak the ball sitting right next to Buma. (all stuffed animals will remain behind closed doors just in case). She is no longer taking composure, but its here if she needs it. It kicks in, in about 30 mins.

I was giving her a dose every 6 hours during day time. Am and then mid day.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestions!

@DiamondJubilee do you find the mushrooms give them a sense of alertness? He has an excellent memory, we live in a very dog friendly city and he remembers all the places that have given him a treat in the past 4 months :laughing:

I’m not sure about alertness as I just give it to my 2 year old who is just full of energy and life itself ha ha! I also take 2 capsules a day myself, but haven’t noticed too much, though I haven’t been sick in years since I’ve started taking them (though I’m not usually a sickly person anyway)… I do use a defenders which has 7 different types of mushrooms in it, but it does contain Lion’s Mane, just at a lower dose. Its really not that expensive so you could always give it a try! once she gets a bit older, I may add in Lion’s Mane as well so she gets a higher dose of it.

This is a great brand (Real Mushroom) that I have used before and have been happy with. I did use their 5 Defenders but they have become unavailable so I had to change to a different brand:https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0B4ZFSP5T?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

The powder is bitter and my dog will not touch it in her food at all. So I do prefer the caps and I just melt some grated cheese and wrap the 2 capsules (she’s 115lb) and she gobbles it right up.

I would talk to your vet again, let them know how the behaviors are getting worse, and ask to reconsider starting an anti-anxiety medication. Something like fluoxetine long term, just to take the edge off the anxiety, without sedating like gabapentin.

Also could try zylkene, a natural calming product with milk proteins in it. Purina has a “calming care” line of probiotics, they come as a powder to sprinkle onto food. Purina also has a prescription diet for neurological health but it’s pretty pricy.