Unlimited access >

Dog boots

We will have “crunchy snow” for the next couple weeks around here, and crunchy snow makes my dog’s feet bleed.

I have boots for her, but they slip down. The boot “sole” is the right size for her paw. I have tried low socks. High socks. Socks with grips on them. Socks made specifically for this problem. Putting them on tighter than sin.

My latest attempt was to saw a standard size roll of vetwrap in half and put a round or two on all 4 legs to give the boots something to stick to. That seemed to do the trick for the front paws, but the rears still slip down. It’s also time consuming and a bit wasteful.

Tips?

Here are the boots I have: https://ruffwear.com/products/grip-trex-dog-boot-pairs

I’ve never found dog boots that work. :frowning:

The icy snow is tough on puppies, for sure. I might try a vet wrap duct tape combo like my farrier does for horses when they lose a shoe. Not sure it would stay on better?

Or, maybe a round of vetwrap and then duct tape on the boots?

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing - make a horse wrap/boot. I don’t know if it will stay on, but it’s worth a try.

The duct tape is worth a shot, too.

Maybe cut the tube off one of the socks, then vet wrap over that so the boot has something to “squish” into?

I can get them to stay ON, but they’re all the way down by her pads and REALLY tight which can’t be comfortable for her.

I hate hate hate crunchy snow, and especially when it’s going to last for a week or better.

For some reason the boots that are shaped like boots don’t tend to stay put. I feel like the dog’s feet have a lot more gripping and moving around than our feet do, so it twists and turns the boot sole shaped area out of place and winds up popping off. Have you tried something like these?

https://www.mtnridge.com/SLED-PET-DOG-BOOTIES_c_20.html

I feel like since it doesn’t have a specific shape for the bottom of the foot, maybe it wouldn’t get pulled off.

That looks really interesting.

If it works for sled dog people, it’s gotta work for our fetch sessions!

I’m going to order a few. Thank you!

1 Like

Interesting… just found on the Iditarod site that each musher must carry 2 sets of dog boots per dog with them on the trail. Looking at pics of the Iditarod, I don’t see a specific brand but they are all that style, no foot shaped boots, they’re all just kind of a plain sack with some velcro or strap at the top. It said they go through thousands while training, so I don’t imagine they’re made to last very long, just do the job while they’re running miles and miles.

That’s crazy that you see all these really engineered almost “dog sneakers” type boots in the pet stores, and the people that basically do a “dog marathon” over the course of a few days prefer the basic sack. There must be a reason though.

2 Likes

I ordered two sets of the basic ones, and a couple sets of the “grippy” type in different styles.

At that price I don’t care if they only last a few fetch sessions. I don’t need them for long, but when I do I need them to stay the F on!

1 Like

I was very happy with these when my old lady dog started having traction issues. Turns out she had lupus and was getting foot funk so she ended up with inside shoes and outside shoes to keep the outside wet off her feet. https://www.petsmart.com/dog/clothing-and-shoes/shoes-and-socks/arcadia-trailandtrade-year-round-all-terrain-dog-boots-70214.html?cgid=100217&fmethod=Browse

1 Like

I have a set of muttluks and a set of woof hoofs, and have been happy with both. The woof hoofs have two straps that wrap around multiple times and i think that works best.

1 Like

I was just looking into these, thank you!

Late to the party here but I thought I’d share my dog boot hack. This may not work for your exact circumstances but it’s cheap to try. My Doberman is having mobility issues and needs front boots but she drags her toes so naturally nothing will stay on her. I eventually paired rubber covered outdoor “socks” with a toddler sized adjustable elastic mitten strap. The grips on the strap are tough and grasp the sock material at the top of the boot very tightly. I run the strap over her back under the handle of her harness and clip it to sock top number two. This has accomplished three things: the socks stay on 95% of the time for walks instead if 10%, if they do pop off they stay with her for refitting and the surprising third benefit is the tug of the elastic is providing her some assistance walking. Toddler mitten straps are a few dollars online per pack.

3 Likes

I second the suggestion for just using booties like the sled dogs wear. I have a pair for my dog. We use them when skijoring on icy trails, or when we get fresh snow since she has a tendency to get snowballs between her toes.
They work great. They’ve never come off by accident.

1 Like

This sounds like a great work around, but I don’t know if it would be so effective at full-out running speeds.

Keep the ideas coming! I’ve ordered the sled dog booties and will report back when I receive them.

1 Like

Sled dog booties review:

They stay on. They prevent the worst of damage from crunchy snow. I still ended up having to vetwrap her fronts, because of her dewclaws. The strap worked its way down, then jammed up under the claw which made her limp. I don’t think this would work well with wet snow over long periods, but crunchy snow it’s a yes!

Side note - the boots I had before cracked one of her nails, so they’re a “never ever again” for hard/fast work. I’m guessing her foot rammed the front of the boot, which is formed rubber like a shoe sole.

1 Like

I so want to skijor or scooterjor. I just need a yard and a dog now.

Awesome! They’re certainly cheap enough to just keep a couple pairs on hand if one ever does go missing too.

It’s so much fun! My dog is pretty lazy, she doesn’t pull very much, just runs fast enough to stay ahead of me. But my sister’s dog is an absolute blast to skijor with. Really gets the adrenaline going.

My next dog will be a GSP. I live right beside 30km of trails that are wide and flat, perfect for bikejoring and skijoring when the snow isn’t too deep. When the ice is good we can also go out on the bay. The snowmobiles pack it down and you could go all day.

Huskies are ideal for winter sports, as this video testifies to.

1 Like

:rofl:
My dog isn’t quite that lazy!

1 Like

I LOVE skijoring but only get like 1 day a year where I can do it. I have “a” place to go with a loop of about 3 miles, but the conditions around the loop vary greatly (big icy patches in places). This year that also coincided with sub-20 degree weather, so the dogs had very limited interest for the first mile!

I know skate skis are preferred for racing, and I am very impressed by this. There’s no way to skate on the trail I use.

1 Like

That’s why I haven’t done much racing with this dog. Most of the races are hosted with the sled dog races and the trails aren’t wide enough for proper skate skiing. It’s fine if you have a dog who really pulls, but mine doesn’t.

1 Like