Unlimited access >

Dog lameness getting worse

About two months ago, I posted about my dog’s undiagnosed lameness. Although I got some great recommendations and tried some of them, she has only gotten worse. She’s now been to three vets, is getting professional rehabbing (including laser therapy), has tried almost all the NSAIDs, is on the max dose of Galliprant and Gabapentin. She gets joint supplements, too. I keep her relatively quiet, which is easy, because she has trouble getting around. We tried the water treadmill, but it scared her to death. The vet said it would do more harm than good in that situation. I plan to try acupuncture next to see if that makes a difference. I’m not willing to try chiro right now because she is so frail.

I’m now questioning her quality of life. I’ve done surgery, rehabbing, all manner of pain management, to no avail. Sometimes it seems like she’s still enjoying life, but most of the time she seems in tremendous pain. Just walking around the house is difficult. Getting out to potty is a great effort. Her walk is barely better than a hobble right now.

I know many people don’t choose euthanasia until the pet is on death’s door. My dog is not on death’s door. Other than her lameness, she’s healthy. I just hate seeing my baby suffer, getting slowly worse and worse. It seems like the life is draining out of her.

I’m at a loss right now.

I don’t think most people wait to consider euthanizing until they’re on death’s door. I think most of us consider quality of life and make the call when it’s clear there’s suffering with no hope of improvement.

It sounds like you’ve explored all the options and it’s not making enough of a difference. I’m really sorry, that sucks :frowning: It’s not at all unreasonable to think about putting her down.

I faced something kind of similar years ago. My dog had a neck issue that occasionally made it incredibly painful for her to rise from sleeping. It didn’t happen all the time, but often enough. When it shifted from a rare occurrence to several times a week, I made the call. She mostly felt okay, but it sure wasn’t fair to keep her going with something that caused her such distress and was only going to get worse.

As owners, we have the incredible gift of foresight. Letting them go before things are so bad that they want to die is an amazing kindness.

Bug hugs for you and your pup. :heart:

9 Likes

I certainly wouldn’t judge you for choosing to euthanize over a painful lameness. Quality over quantity. I work with elderly people (cardiac patients) and I regularly think to myself “I hope I don’t end up like that”, people who are in so much pain that they’re never comfortable.

My only advice would be to make sure that you’re clear with the vet if you do choose to euthanize. I only say this because years ago my mom made the same decision as you. Her elderly lab was struggling with arthritis and we were headed into another icy, snowy winter. She made the appt and took her in. Unfortunately her regular vet got called out and the other vet in the practice took the appt and refused to euthanize until my mom tried another supplement. My mom was very upset so she took the dog home and rebooked with her regular vet once she had composed herself again. She had been on the fence about getting another dog but that really traumatized her so she just borrows and spoils my sisters and I’s dogs.

9 Likes

I bet most of us have been where you are if we have been fortunate enough to have dogs. One of my dogs was slowly having problems getting around. She was my shadow for 13 years and I noticed suddenly she was falling behind and having trouble just keeping up with me.

I could see she was in discomfort and the vet said it was just wear and tear and old age and we tried to keep her comfortable but I think she hurt a lot of the time.

She still had a good appetite and bright eyes so we just kept on. She no longer followed me to do chores but I could see she wanted to :cry: ( that was hard) and then she had difficulty with the steps going outside and then one day she couldn’t get up and I immediately took her in.

If you ( who know her best) feel like she is truly suffering then it is always the right time.

It is never an easy decision for us to make. We are losing a part of us.

3 Likes

Yes, so hard. My girl tries to follow me around, but she just can’t. She walks a few steps and then lies down. It’s heartbreaking.

1 Like

Writing that out brought it all back and she has been gone 3+ years now. It is heartbreaking.

2 Likes

Hugs for you and your dog.

1 Like

I’m sorry she’s hurting. It’s heartbreaking to see them be in pain and it’s never an easy decision.

(((hugs)))

If this was your horse, in this much pain & discomfort daily, what would you do?
Sounds like you’ve been quite diligent in trying to find a solution to help her.
Sometimes it comes down to quality of daily life.
When bad days/hours outweigh the good.

(((Hugs))) to you & your pooch.

1 Like

I wouldn’t judge you for choosing to peacefully end her pain, maybe you would be relieved trying another vet as last option? Then you would have no doubt that something was missing in the dyagnosis.
How old is your pup? My old dog has severe arthritis but is doing very good on Lybrela, Gabapentin and CBD Oil.
Hugs to you and your furry friend, it is always a painful decision to take

Tramadol comes to mind. I had a shepherd with severe hip dysplasia that did well on (a lot) of tramadol towards the end of life. He was stoic and adamant about living, however.

What is the official diagnosis?

Have you repeated radiographs since the onset? I had a patient with an unresolving front limb lameness and it ended up being bone cancer that we couldnt see at the onset.
I’ve also seen some front limb lameness be related to the neck and nerve impingement. Unfortunately those are pretty impossible to diagnose without MRI and surgical correction would be needed.

What is the working theory on where she is lame? Back end, front end, overll?

1 Like

This is so hard. You’ve tried so many things! If it was one troublesome leg, amputation would be possible, like with my brother’s dog. However, this case sounds like hips or more than one leg. I’m so sorry. It’s so hard when our pets can’t get around anymore. Hugs and best wishes.

This is what I was wondering. So many times, it seems, lameness in dogs ends up being diagnosed as bone cancer. With everything else the OP has tried, I’m sure they’ve done recent radiographs - but maybe not?

OP, no one here is going to judge you if you decide your dog’s quality of life is such that letting her go peacefully is the best option. We’ve all been there. We’ve all had to make that call, and we know how difficult it is. You know her best. Have you spoken about this with your vet?

1 Like

Thanks to you and everyone else who responded.

We did take another set of radiographs about 6-8 weeks ago, but I should probably ask for them to be repeated now, as she has gotten quite a bit worse. I had another dog with bone cancer and it looked very similar to this as it progressed (except this dog has been going downhill for 9 months, and Osteosarcoma is usually pretty fast-moving).

She had ACL surgery four months ago. She is still lame on that RH leg. Somewhat to be expected, but her mobility on that leg hasn’t improved much at all since the day of the surgery itself. In addition to that, there’s the mystery RF lameness. So with two bad legs on the same side, she’s really struggling.

1 Like

If you have access to Lybrela, you must be outside the US? We are trying to get her on that, but it’s not available here yet. Plus, I know it’s super effective against arthritis, but I’m not convinced that’s what my dog is suffering from. Arthritis gets better with movement…hers gets worse. But still, I’m trying anything at this point.

I thought it was available also in the US, usually products come first in US than here in Europe (more medical research I think). Yes it is effective for arthritis but as far as I understand it somehow cuts the painful impulse. My dog has arthritis plus back pain (long and big dog, maybe spinal stenosis maybe former injury ) and he’s a bit ataxic - he also had a bada stroke one year and a half ago). Lybrela really gave him a new quality of life,I hope it’ll become soon available also in your country.
Reading again your post I second anyway the advice of new XRays, with all you’ve tried you should have seen a minimal improvement in my opinion

1 Like

Wanted to update this post with some great news. @cilla1, my vet was able to get access to Librela and we gave my dog her first shot on September 11. For now, the results are nearly miraculous. It has given my dog her life back. Absolutely incredible results. Thank you everyone for your moral support!

14 Likes

I’m so happy for you and your furry baby!
Yes, it is nearly miraculous, as my vet says we don’t know long term contraindications but since we use it to improve older dogs’ quality of life…who cares. Better a couple of months less of life but a good life!

1 Like

I was going to say something very similar. My 13 year old lab cross has been slowing down over the last 3 years or so but this summer she had some very miserable days here and there, then had a truly miserable week. At this point she was on gabapentin and meloxicam along with a cosequin and omega supplement. We had tried laser last winter and she was much too worried an anxious throughout the appointments so we discontinued.

After her miserable week I got her in to the vet (Sunday was the first day of the chain of miserable days, Friday she had her vet appointment - we got in very quickly). Thursday she was actually starting to do better and by her Friday appointment she was back to her bright and cheerful self. At the vet’s recommendation we gave her a shot of Lybrella and weaned her off of the meloxicam. It is a monthly shot and we are doing the third shot this weekend so it’s still relatively new for us but she is doing much better. I do find that she starts hobbling around a bit more as we near the next appointment for her shot (yesterday she was not moving around so well) but it’s not consistent for days on end.

I went to that vet appointment fully expecting a recommendation to euthanize (I speak with my vet frequently… the clinic is at the farm where I board) and he told me “It’s not her time yet. I’ll tell you when it’s her time.”

I see your most recent update that you were able to try it - I’m so happy for you!! Just be aware that near the end of the month you may see some lameness coming back in. Your vet may be able to prescribe something for that “gap” time if you need it :slight_smile: