Unlimited access >

Dog nausea? What to ask vet?

I have a 4yo JRT who has been having more frequent episodes of what I am guessing is nausea? She will start to lick her lips/chomp (you know the pre-vomit look they get). But she’s not having any vomiting. At first I thought she maybe ate something outside, but this is continuing on, and she’s made me wake up during the middle of the night with the lip licking/comping (not every night, but more than a random thing).

She also had an episode of peeing all over the bed the other night (totally not her)…I got up to go and came back to a mess. She almost never gets up to go at night…and the door was open, so she could have jumped off and headed into the hallway while I was in the bathroom.

Now, her diet is already pretty restricted, as she is a sensitive stomach (only certain treats or she will throw stuff up) and she has allergies, so most of what she gets is limited ingredients.

I do have a vet appointment for her next week…anything I should specifically ask about? She currently seems okay (eating and drinking fine - she is always starving and a bit on the chunky side). No more accidents inside, so not sure if that was just a fluke or a symptom of something. The only thing I am still seeing is the intermittent lip licking/chomping/nausea behavior and that not all the time.

It would be pretty odd at this age, but renal disease can cause both inappropriate peeing and nausea. In your shoes, I’d want to look at bloodwork and urine, and go home with something for the nausea. You might consider putting her on famotidine now, and see if that helps.

Hope it’s something that’s easy to diagnose, and to treat!

1 Like

I would ask about reflux. Do you see any connection with time since her last meal? Sometimes if a dog has an empty stomach too long they can have too much stomach acid. An antacid/acid reducer can help, as can a small meal or treat mid-day.

1 Like

Hmmm…I will have to pay more attention to when it happens. So far later in the evening or overnight, but I will have think about the timing more. I was able to video the behavior yesterday, so I am hoping that will make it easier for the vet to sort it out. I was almost going to cancel the appointment yesterday as she seemed back to completely normal, then she had a bunch of lip licking/nausea look and I know she didn’t try and eat anything outside, as I was the one watching her outside that day (instead of an older family member who sometimes takes them out and is oblivious to what is going on).