Unlimited access >

Dog not sleeping well at night

My miniature Schnauzer / Jack Russell mix has some funky stuff going on right now. I took her to the vet last week and I’m actually going to call today and make another appointment.

It seems she’s got two things going on and both of them are interfering with sleep. There’s been a few nights where she didn’t seem to sleep at all. And neither did we!!

One night we noticed that she actually peed in her kennel! Which is obviously unusual especially since she’s 3 years old and potty trained… But I know she was spayed really early and she’s always been a little bit inclined if she got super excited she would pee a tiny bit. It didn’t happen very often though.

So when I went to the vet I was focus more on that. We don’t think it’s a UTI based on the symptoms. She’s fine during the day just having issues at night. So we got her some incontinence medicine but it hasn’t arrived yet. No accidents since then.

But she also is itchy so I think we have two things going on. She has this bump thing on her nose and last weekend she scratched it open. Can’t tell if it’s a scab from itching that’s on her nose or something else. But by the time we were at the vet it seemed like less of a priority although I didn’t mention it. I thought itching was gone The last night she was rubbing her face and also chewing her paws a lot.

They tried Benadryl and I think that made her just extremely restless…

So back to the vet again! Open to any ideas! I’m thinking a type of food allergy or something.

She’s pretty happy and normal seeming during the day but at night she just doesn’t seem right. :frowning:

Yeast?

Maybe? It seemed like it started with her nose… The last night she did seem like she was chewing her paws more.

It’s right above her nose. I can’t tell if it’s a scab from a bite or maybe some type of fungal infection or something? Hopefully the vet can identify it easily. Today I didn’t seem to bother her but man last night she just was restless.

Oh my goodness, she’s so cute though!

The looks of it though remind me of the kind of scurff that our GSD had when he was allergic to… something. I took him off of all chicken as a “what the heck” and he cleared up but I don’t know if that was coincidence or solution.

New bedding? New detergents/cleaners? New treat? Just brainstorming possible triggers.

Maybe a benadryl before bed? I’m not a vet but maybe run it past the vet to see?

1 Like

She is so adorable and has such a personality.

No new food. Maybe different treats but I wouldn’t think we give enough if them for this reaction but maybe.

We tried Benadryl but it seemed to make her so restless at least during the night. But I think the vet can give us different medications too. Fingers crossed!

1 Like

Poor pup!

1 Like

food sensitivity can develop anytime. My friend has a little dog that developed a chicken allergy. Thankfully the choices of different proteins are out there.

2 Likes

Yep that might be it. I’m hoping for yeast or fungal though… I just feel that might be easier to treat but maybe not. Hopefully the vet can figure it out

Food can make a yeast infection worse. I find chicken, lamb and venison to be triggers for yeast infections along with grains as well as outdoor allergies like grass and oak.

It won’t hurt her to do an elimation diet to see if its food related, just remember it can take a while.

I hope she feels better soon. She’s super cute!

1 Like