Unlimited access >

Dog with cancer in the spleen | pay it forward

Dear COTH’ers, my sweet Beerhound (Scottish Deerhound/Borzoi) crossed the rainbow bridge yesterday. He was diagnosed with cancer in his spleen on December 15, 2022 and given 6 months to live. As you can tell by the dates, he far surpassed 6 months and ultimately did not die of the cancer. He was a very large (34" at his shoulder) dog and lost the use of one of his hind hips and was experiencing upper respiratory distress (possibly due the tumor? who knows).

When he was diagnosed with cancer the treating vet recommended that we give him Yunnan Baiyao pills to slow the cancer down and it seems to have really made a difference considering he lasted much longer than expected. If you have a dog with the same/similar cancer I highly recommend these pills. They aren’t terribly expensive. This is what I’ve been buying for the past year: https://bestchinesemedicines.com/products/yunnan-baiyao-capsules-jiaonang/

To that end, I have a few boxes of his pills remaining that I would like to pay forward to someone dealing with a similar/same issue. I’ll pay to ship it to anyone in the US. Please PM me and first to get in touch gets the pills.

17 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss! Isn’t that product amazing? We had a similar situation, oral osteosarcoma in a GSD, and had him for a year or so longer than anyone expected. That was ultimately the cause of us sending him on his way, but between the YB stopping that mess from bleeding all the time, to actively shrinking it at one point, it sure gave him much longer QoL than anyone expected. Thank you for offering this up to the poster in the other thread I saw you post in, and to anyone else here as well :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

No pet in need, just wanted to thank you for the generous offer & send sympathy for your loss.
If no takers here, maybe your vet has another client who can use them.
Or perhaps a shelter?
Suggesting the shelter as I volunteered for many years at a pantry for HIV+.
Unused meds were often donated to be made available to clients with the same script but short of funds.

3 Likes

Will def explore that option if I don’t find a taker soon! Thanks for the kind words and suggestion. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am so sorry to hear your sweet Beerhound crossed over the rainbow bridge.

I have never heard of a Beerhound before, would you care to share a little bit about your boy with us. I would love to hear more about him.

1 Like

Sterling was from an oopsy litter of very well bred purebred dogs. His mom was a Scottish Deerhound and his dad was a Borzoi (also known as a Russian Wolfhound). The breeder called them Beerhounds as a mashup of the breed names of the parents. He was 34" tall at his shoulder, so very tall, which made him a VERY good counter surfer! LOL! He also jumped a lot of 5’ fences, much to our dismay and this probably led to the degeneration of his hips.
Both parent breeds are sighthounds and sighthounds are a very particular kind of dog that you have to be prepared to contain, especially when they are this big. However, my husband and I adore sighthounds and have had many (Italian Greyhounds, whippets, other Deerhound crosses).

2 Likes

Beerhound has me :laughing: That’s a big doggie! He sounds like he was one of those dogs you had to laugh or cry over, so you just laughed :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing with us Dynamite!

I love the name Beerhound and that he countersurfed… he is looking for BEER!! I adore sighthounds. I have always dreamed of having a dozen or so greyhounds and lurchers.

I hope your heart heals quickly.

1 Like

The most frequent random description that people always gave of him was that he looked like he was from middle earth! He had a large imposing look, but if you know sighthounds you know that they are NOT dangerous or intimidating at all so we always giggled a bit when ppl were intimidated by him.

2 Likes

Ironically the food he seemed to love most was fruit and veggies. Particularly apples and carrots. But nothing was safe on the counter and my air fryer has the damage to show for it. LOL!

3 Likes

I’d always wanted an Irish Wolfhound for that very reason! But, after having to end up doing some manual lifting and carrying of our 75lb GSD due to DM, I decided I really didn’t want a dog who weighed more than me :frowning:

1 Like