Unlimited access >

Dog's reaction to canine adequan

Posting to share my story in case anyone runs into something similar. My 5 (?) year old Boxer has some instability in her knees. I have done lots of knee repairs on previous Boxers and am holding off on her for now for lots of reasons. At any rate, during her recent annual exam, I suggested we get her started on canine adequan. Vet administered the adequan and completed her annual physical. That was at 5PM. By 4AM the next morning poor pup got up and vomited her entire dinner on the carpet. Proceeded to be nauseous throughout the morning with some grass eating and vomiting. I went to work for a few hours hoping if she was allowed to rest quietly in the house the issue would resolve. Came home at lunch to more vomit so I called in and got her right to the vet. Doctor attributes the nausea to a reaction to adequan. Gave her some Cerenia, dex, sub q fluids and famotidine. Dog was groggy the entire night, ate a small meal and kept it down. The next morning kept down her breakfast and was back to normal 24 hours later.

I generally think of adequan as a fairly benign supportive measure. Not any more! This dog will not see an adequan injection again, that’s for sure. Has anyone else had similar responses in their dogs? The literature does say that nausea can be a side effect but I sure didn’t think it was going to happen to us after using it uneventfully on lots of other dogs.

She could have also picked up a GI virus at the clinic. Correlation does not imply causation.

9 Likes

We just started our 11 year old dog on Adequan this week and have not had an issue. I am really hoping it helps make him more comfortable as he has been getting more and more stiff…

It is hard to know if it was a reaction to the Adequan or if your dog picked up something at the clinic.

1 Like

My girl was on it for years with great results

I would definitely attribute the vomiting to the shot; just because you can’t prove causation isn’t enough reason to discount a potentially dangerous side effect!

All medications can have side effects and different dogs react differently. I would not necessarily eliminate the potential use of this drug in your dog’s case without further discussion with your vet (is there a preventative measure, is there another similar drug, and do the pros outweigh the cons); and I wouldn’t hesitate to use it on other dogs in the future.

One of my dogs is just sensitive. He’s extremely healthy, but reacts more to a lot of things than other dogs – tapeworm meds, topical flea treatment, and once to sedation and anesthesia when he had minor surgery (not sure to which, or the combo) It’s marked in his file at the vet. We now discuss everything before administering to him and double check the fine print.

My vet told me her dog had the same reaction, which is why we opted not to use it with our very sensitive dog.

One of my favorite patients at the hospital where I work is on Adequan because he cannot tolerate oral joint supplements or meds. Personally I would try it again- what if you gave pepcid or something ahead of time?

This is my experience too, and my old girl was very sensitive.

Sorry your dog was sick.

There are other PSGAG’s such as cartrophen and polyglycan which are similar to adequan. Maybe try one of those instead? Ive never known a dog to have a reactiion to adequan, but anything can happen - and also it could have been total coincidence. I had the horrible pukes after eating a microwave chinese dinner. NEVER touched it again, but Im pretty sure it was just fluke and that if I ate it again I would probably be fine :wink: Im not risking it though LOL

2 Likes

I realize this post was started over 10 years ago but I wanted to share my experience that I just had with adequan.
my 13 year old English Setter has arthritis but gets around well. my vet who my trust, suggested Adequan… So we tried it on Friday. Within 20 minutes I knew my dog was not the same. he was lethargic, and looked at me as if he was sad. I chalked it up to, he just didn’t appreciate having gone to the vet and getting a shot or two :slight_smile: we got home and he vomited, the vomiting continued until 8 a.m. the next morning. I gave him a dosage of cerenia that I have on hand, and made him some organic chicken and rice, boiled. I called the vet and reported the symptoms because it was not just vomit it was projectile vomit. they agreed with the cerenia and the mild diet, and said to hold off on the next dose of adequan. they called to do a follow-up on Saturday afternoon, and I said he had eaten a little bit but not had any water. Finally at 6 p.m. he had water. Two hours later he was having massive bouts of diarrhea. thankfully I have cerenia and metronidazole on hand, so I just gave him that. if this doesn’t clear up by tomorrow morning, I will take him to the emergency vet. Every dog is different, every pet is different, But I will never give this drug to my sweet puppy again. To note, aside from the vomiting, the biggest thing that I noticed was his mood was depressed. I have searched other sites, and found that depressed mood is something that other pet owners have noticed as well.
hope this info is helpful

1 Like

Yes, I am the OP. The post is only a year old, not ten. My girl is prone to hives and other odd reactions to things. I think some dogs are simply sensitive to something in this med. It was such an odd reaction I have elected not to use it again with that dog. I am an adequan fan - for canines and equines, just not for this particular Boxer.

I have a 4 yr old Sealyham Terrier. Same exact reaction. He got his first shot late afternoon yesterday and vomit started in the middle of the night. The vet gave him a shot of cerenia but he was still super depressed all afternoon and kept looking at me like he needed my help and was all sad… He ate a bit of chicken and drank a little chicken broth but no more. I gave him a little coconut oil and he was happy to have it. Stool was looking watery before bedtime but not that bad. It’s just been like 30 hours since the adequan so I hope this is the end of the side-effects and not the start…… he’s definitely super depressed unfortunately.

The vet recommends that I try giving him the second dose next week anyway and see if he tolerates it better and try some Benadryl in case it’s an allergic reaction but I’m a bit hesitant tbh….

My old man did his full series of Adaquan and while he is a bit sad and down the day after, he is super happy he can run easier, go up the stairs better, and have more mobility for the rest of the month.

He gets a plate of scrabbled eggs and some sardines the day after his shot to make him feel better.

My old man is a 13 yr old boxer cross and is a sensitive baby for example, he can’t take Trifexis