Donating/free leasing your horse to a therapeutic riding center: your experiences?

Is this the right forum for a question like this? I will be happy to move this thread if necessary! Thanks!

I am considering free leasing a treasured partner to a therapeutic riding center. I’m interested to know what I should look for in a quality center. What kinds of experiences have you had? I’d be very interested in your knowledge! Thanks!

I run a therapeutic riding center and most of our horses are here on free lease. When done right (and I like to think we do it right) it can be a big win-win for both parties. For starters, go see the barn. Treat it like a potential boarding barn. How are the stalls kept? What is the turnout situation? What do they feed? What vet and farrier do they use? How do the horses look? Are you and the barn manager on the same page with your general philosophy about how horses should be kept?

If your horse has any special needs, look for a program that is already accommodating similar needs. In my case, we are set up to manage IR/Cushings and have several success stories standing in the dry lot. Some places are not (and hopefully will tell you that). Some places have never tried and you don’t want to be the guinea pig.

Then, when it comes to the work, find out how the horses are used. PATH International member programs should be tracking horse use and have policies in place. They should be able to tell you how many lessons per day/week their horses average, what the maximum is, what a typical lesson looks like, etc. My program’s horses get out on “trail rides” around the farm with students on a very regular basis, while other programs never leave the arena. The program should also be able to tell you the general intake process, how horses are initially trained and integrated into the program, and what sort of training/conditioning occurs on an ongoing basis.

As with any lease, get it all in writing. Be very specific about emergency situations. (Is your horse a surgical candidate? Is there insurance in place? Is the facility able to transport to a hospital? Who pays?) What are the terms for ending the lease on either side? Who pays for maintenance medications or supplements? What happens if the horse requires a long lay-up? Talk through your personal worst-case scenarios, make sure everyone is philosophically on-board, and get it in writing!

I have had clients donate, and I have sold a special pony to a local program. Make sure you have a contract, that spells out what you want long term for your horse. Keep in contact, at least every six months, to check on your horse. The burnout rate can be high, as in every 2/3 years…make sure if the horse gets sour, you can help rehome them, or you get them back. I prefer a program that has more independent riders, along with the 2 side walkers. That way the horses are not just used for side walker, pony type rides. If I have an older horses though that can not handle much physical work, and is super tolerant, the side walkers can be a big benefit, as those are primary walking rides. Also check to see how heavily the horses are used. There is a large difference in 3 sessions per week, to being used in 9 sessions per week. A good program, also offers maintenance if needed…but do not expect them to take a lame horse. Check out the program throughly, as well as the barn manager and the lead riding instructor. It can be WONDERFUL to donate or lease to a therapy barn, I look at it as giving back in a way that is a huge benefit to their programs. Therapy barns, and their riders deserve nice, quality horses, that are well trained. Between myself, and my friends/clients, we have placed six horses in our local program. They have been so appreciated, and I really enjoy seeing how they are helping others.

Our therapeutic horseback program used leased horses.

We had three of our old ranch horses in their program.
They were rotated, one went there for two to three months, then they returned it and took another, then returned and took the other and so on.

The group had always several horses stabled in a riding center with an indoor, that they rented two days a week for their handicapped lessons.

The horses were used once or twice those two days and another day or two their trainer and/or exercise rider would ride them lightly.

Our horses seemed to like to go there and then be ready to come back after so many weeks.

The lessons were part of the local hospital therapy system, with two of their therapist running the non-profit group.
It was run with state grant for insurance for such groups and local donations.
It closed three years ago when the state budget was cut and their grant was eliminated.

If it opens again, we will again see about providing them with some horses, they were a very well run organization.

See if you can find one in your area and if you like how it is managed, why not?

I am associated and work with a therapeutic organization as well.

It really does depend on the program. There are some that make me anxious because of the quality of tack, people running the program, and lack of maintenance on the horses.

There are some that are much better! Examine the turnout situation. Does it match what makes the horse happiest? I know facilities that have horses out 24/7 and some stalled 24/7. As another poster said, dry lots available? Grain choices compatible with the horse?

Special shoeing needed? Is horse cooperative with multiple handlers and excessive stimuli?

Sound is a must, even if the horse is just walking and a bit of trotting. No one wants the unpleasant surprise of a past history of a horse being unsound.

Most of our horses serve dual purpose between therapeutic lessons and doing a free veterans program, or ground work with some other individuals. It seems to reduce burnout and is a good fit for most horses, but not all, obviously.

Biggest thing would be who covers what expenses. A facility may not be able to afford every SmartPak the horse had previously and there shouldn’t be hurt feelings and should be discussed up front. Surgical or not? History of colic? Abscesses?

It is very rewarding of course, and thank you to the people that help make therapeutic programs possible.

It’s just like dating…shop around until you find the right one that matches your values.

So I donated my older gelding on a free lease many moons ago. He was sound at a walk only, but I was very upfront about his issues. The woman who ran it wanted him because his personality was perfect, and he’s a large, sturdy pony. She understood his limitations, and was fine with them.

My mistake? We did everything through e-mail, with no formal contract. I was young and stupid, and I learned the hard way. The program was relatively far away from me, so I never visited the facility. I don’t even know if the pictures she sent were real. But after he went, she sent me long emails with updates on how he was doing. And then they stopped.

Long story short, she contacted me eventually to tell me that since she had been unable to get ahold of me, she sold MY horse, who was on a free lease ONLY. Looking back, I think that was her goal from the beginning, and she was super shady. She never once tried to contact me (I had given her phone numbers, email, and my mailing address). I finally threatened with legal action, and she fessed up that he was at a “rescue” nearby (shockingly, the people she allegedly sold him to ended up not wanting an unsound horse).

I did get him back, and I did free lease him again (not to a therapeutic riding center), and I would lease to a center in the future. My advice? Make sure you have a fully detailed, WRITTEN contract. And, I would make sure I could check the facility beforehand, and be allowed to visit!

I was on the board of a large therapeutic riding organization, (and a lesson volunteer). Their process included a very thorough evaluation and trial for horses before they were accepted. Wanted to be sure the horse could cope with the moving mounting pad, which was motorized to go up and down, could handle the imbalance and often excessive movements of the kids, did not get out of sorts with the side walkers helping kids to stay in the saddle, etc.
They did not accept every horse, and often had more people looking to donate than they had need for.
In our case the horses were donated, but some people had agreements to take their horse back upon its retirement. They also had several land owning supporters who took retiring horses that did not go back to owners.

Every place I’ve ever known, and I’ve known a half dozen therapeutic riding centers around here, will sell or give away horses they do not want within weeks or months of donation.

Not a good idea to donate if you care about your horse’s future.

Agree with everything that’s been said here, and want to emphasize – visit, and visit often. If you SELL or donate the horse, then yes, you can step away like any other sale but if you lease and plan to provide a final home for the horse when he’s ready to return to you, stay involved. As a program, we love leasing horses because we have a safety net for them if they don’t work out; the horses we buy or take as donations are a harder decision for us because we still have to think about “what if” but we don’t always know the answer – what will we do with the 22-y-o Arab with Cushing’s when he can’t participate any more?

My other comment regarding visiting often is that nonprofits see a LOT of turnover in staff and volunteers. The person who seemed wonderful and knowledgeable and committed when you arranged to donate/lease your horse might not be replaced by someone as wonderful and knowledgeable and committed. This year’s beautiful hay might have been donated by someone who needed the write-off last year, but didn’t offer it this year. Stay involved. But if you do decide to take your horse back after 5 years, so your granddaughter can take him to the fair this summer, give us plenty of notice. We may not have another horse with his skill set, ready to step into his role, and losing the 14.2 haflinger who can carry a medium sized adult in hippotherapy, two weeks before the summer session, might mean we can’t serve that medium-sized adult in hippotherapy this summer.

Be very careful. I know of someone who “loaned” their horse to a theraputic riding program who then attempted to give away the horse without contacting the owner. The "free horse " ad was discovered by a third party and the old owner was notified and she did get the horse back.
Have everything in a contract including how the horse will be maintained after the program no longer needs it.
It was understood by the person loaning the above horse that the horse was to return to them if the placement at the theraputic program was not to be permanent.

Therapy riding (and hippotherapy) can be one of the most difficult jobs for any horse. I first met my b/o as a volunteer in her therapy program 17 years ago. She has had many offers of free horses over the years, but invariably turns most of them down because the horse is “just off a little.” I think most of us agree that unbalanced individuals, no matter what their weight, can be difficult for the horse to carry. Add to that various behavioral and other challenges that the horse must cope with and you’ll find that the number of suitable horses that can really make it in a therapy program is not that large. She had 2 Paint mares and an Appy gelding, all having gone over the bridge, that were wonderful therapy horses. But she bought them all when they were young and spry, trained them well and coddled them, and retired them when they still had plenty of good days to enjoy life.

By all means check out the center and be sure you have a solid contract in place. All I’m trying to say is that too many people hope to place an older, not quite 100% horse in a situation that can be extremely challenging. Therapy centers are not retirement homes.

[QUOTE=invinoveritas;8736916]
Every place I’ve ever known, and I’ve known a half dozen therapeutic riding centers around here, will sell or give away horses they do not want within weeks or months of donation.

Not a good idea to donate if you care about your horse’s future.[/QUOTE]

Wow. :no:

I am a registered therapeutic riding instructor and have been involved in therapeutic riding at a few different programs for over 25 years. I will use my current program as an example. A horse that goes through all the preliminary training and evaluation (that can last 2 months) and is accepted to the program and then for whatever reason is no longer comfortable doing that job is always placed according to the wishes of the donater. If the center bought the horse outright, they bend over backwards to find it a suitable home and keep tabs on that horse afterwards. The center currently has a small QH mare that was no longer comfortable with her job. They have made every effort to place her in a loving home and even took her back when a home proved not to be what was promised. She is still at the program and will never be just tossed aside as that quote implies. She joins a retired mounted police horse who can also no longer do mounted lessons - they do unmounted lessons and volunteer trainings.

This center cares very much about their horses’ futures - both past and present. They do not discard horses on a whim or because they have an injury. They bring them back carefully and work to quietly address any behavioral issues that may crop up. They get the best of care. Their hours are carefully scheduled and monitored so they do not get overworked. They are schooled by instructors and volunteers who are great riders to keep them fit and tuned up - the schoolings are also figured into their work schedules.

Some are free leases, some are care leases and about 50% have been purchased. No matter the situation, that horse’s safety and well-being is of the utmost importance.

They must be doing something right… there are currently three horses in the program who have been doing a great job for over 8 years and show no signs if discomfort or slowing down. Veterans who need to retire are placed very carefully - one owner took her aged TB gelding back and we thought he was going to live a happy life in grassy fields, having earned his retirement. Sadly, his owner turned around and leased him out to another program. They should not have accepted him - he deserved his rest - but that is another story. :no:

There was great sadness in the barn last week when we found out that one of our past four legged therapists had sustained an injury and had to be put down. That mare had not been in the program for over 3 years… but we were still in touch with her people and received happy updates about how she was doing…

We care about these horses - truly, madly, deeply. :wink: I rather resent the suggestion that we would not - and just see them as tools and the equivalent of sofas. Nothing could be farther from the truth… and yet we often have trouble getting horses as some out there seem to believe that therapeutic riding horses are abused and overworked… not in this center’s 40 years of existence.

So YES - it is a good idea. Check out the center. Talk to the barn staff and instructors. Watch some lessons. Meet the horses. And then you can decide if that center is a suitable place for your horse…

I donated a wonderful horse to a therapeutic riding program about 13 years ago. I volunteered with the program myself first to get to know the program and the people. It turned out very well. My contract included that when he was no longer appropriate for their program I had first right of refusal. When he finally got too old, I was contacted, and he came to live out the rest of his years with me. The program was very close to me, so every so often I would stop out and feed him carrots. I really need to go back and volunteer again! Good luck!!

I had a very poor experience with a well regarded facility. They did a 3 month trial and at the end I could donate him or they could free lease him. At the very end of those 90 days they called and said he’d kicked at a sidewalker. That made zero sense, and I hurried over to get him. he ‘looked’ fine but once I had him home after a few days I saddled him and stepped up and was literally afraid to try to get off- he was so stiff and body sore and posturally defensice that he couldn’t/wouldn’t bend anything laterally- it broke my heart. this was a BTDT horse who had taught lessons and helped me start babies and would do absolutely aything he was asked. My farrier found bruising in all four hooves after a couple of shoeings, how did they do that? What did they do to him??? I was sick at my decision to loan him to them. just sick. He got many massages, much bute, and loads of carrots.

never again, not with a horse I cherish - this was a good horse I wasn’t using so he wasn’t getting exercise and was losing tone standing around in my field. the next one will just have to stand around.

Please do not think that all centers would get a horse into this state… the large and well regarded one I volunteer and teach at would not do this. They would have concerns about kicking out but would also investigate why… horses at my center get chiro, massages, vet as needed… the best of care. They are also placed in jobs where they are comfortable. Not every horse likes 2 sidewalkers - or even one. Those horses then go with just a leader or in independent classes. Every horse finds his/her niche where they are comfortable.

Some thin, unfit and scruffy horses have come in the barn - and blossomed into dappled, shiny, happy horses. It is no wonder that we do not get called back when we have inquired about a horse when bad things like what happened with your horse have occurred.

:no:

It makes me very sad that our riders and hippotherapy patients are deprived of great horses (and the horses miss out on all that extra love) due to situations like that that have occurred…

My first horse is still at her original therapeutic riding center since donation 8 years ago. I am allowed to visit any time and even hop on and ride her if I would like. I don’t get to visit that much any more (moved a few states away since donation), but I don’t worry about her.

[QUOTE=smoofox;8740106]
Please do not think that all centers would get a horse into this state… the large and well regarded one I volunteer and teach at would not do this. They would have concerns about kicking out but would also investigate why… horses at my center get chiro, massages, vet as needed… the best of care. They are also placed in jobs where they are comfortable. Not every horse likes 2 sidewalkers - or even one. Those horses then go with just a leader or in independent classes. Every horse finds his/her niche where they are comfortable.

Some thin, unfit and scruffy horses have come in the barn - and blossomed into dappled, shiny, happy horses. It is no wonder that we do not get called back when we have inquired about a horse when bad things like what happened with your horse have occurred.

:no:

It makes me very sad that our riders and hippotherapy patients are deprived of great horses (and the horses miss out on all that extra love) due to situations like that that have occurred…[/QUOTE]

The body soreness didn’t come from two sidewalkers nor the bruised soles. I think…think…they didn’t ever turn him out as he wasn’t sunbleached at all and I think they rode the crapq out of him. He’d canter from a halt, for example .he was a really fun toy they broke and returned.

Therapeutic riding even in a very well run program can be tough on the horses. Mentally it is stressful to them and many do not do well. Physically the work is usually very light and not enough to keep them fit. Some horses cannot deal with multiple side walkers, strict rules with handlers etc.

It really depends on the specific conditions, some classes are not that different from regular riding programs (where the client responds to the horse and learns to ride).

Some classes have more compromised clients who may not be able to really interact with the horse or respond in a way the horse will understand, in this case the horse needs to learn to completely tune out his rider and respond only to the handler on the ground, even though they may be getting conflicting signals from the rider (and or sidewalks - unintentionally). This can be very stressful particularly to a sensitive horse.

It is not all sunshine and roses and helping people, nor is it an easy, light retirement job for a horse. Horses do burn out at a very high rate if the program isn’t careful.

A program I worked horses for years ago cycled them through some training only time (with training rides and trail rides but no lessons) and time off along with the lesson program to help keep them from getting sour.

Take a look at what the plans are for giving the horse time off, what happens if he doesn’t work out for the program and what additional exercise or training is given. Programs that do it right know how to monitor horses and take action before they become burnt out so that they can have long successful careers with the program.

[QUOTE=ChelseaR;8741062]
Therapeutic riding even in a very well run program can be tough on the horses. Mentally it is stressful to them and many do not do well. Physically the work is usually very light and not enough to keep them fit. Some horses cannot deal with multiple side walkers, strict rules with handlers etc.

It really depends on the specific conditions, some classes are not that different from regular riding programs (where the client responds to the horse and learns to ride).

Some classes have more compromised clients who may not be able to really interact with the horse or respond in a way the horse will understand, in this case the horse needs to learn to completely tune out his rider and respond only to the handler on the ground, even though they may be getting conflicting signals from the rider (and or sidewalks - unintentionally). This can be very stressful particularly to a sensitive horse.

It is not all sunshine and roses and helping people, nor is it an easy, light retirement job for a horse. Horses do burn out at a very high rate if the program isn’t careful.

A program I worked horses for years ago cycled them through some training only time (with training rides and trail rides but no lessons) and time off along with the lesson program to help keep them from getting sour.

Take a look at what the plans are for giving the horse time off, what happens if he doesn’t work out for the program and what additional exercise or training is given. Programs that do it right know how to monitor horses and take action before they become burnt out so that they can have long successful careers with the program.[/QUOTE]

We asked the therapist how did she determine when a horse needed a rest and she was returning it and getting another.

She said that you can tell because some get irritated, when before they loved to be getting all the attention.
Others would start getting dull and listless, that was time to bring them back.

We had the three older ranch horses in their lease program and they always were fine to go and happy back, no one sore or out of sorts from being there.

That program was not teaching handicapped people to ride, but patient’s therapy horseback, as designated by their doctors.
Horses had someone leading them, some times one or two side walkers, some times no one and the therapist and patient would interact, the horse and other humans mostly just stand there or walk around and around as the two would do different exercises.
Some of those patients were considerably handicapped, needed a belt and handlers helping hold the patient up there.

Patients would make great strides in their rehab in that program.
That was very rewarding for everyone involved.
It is a great program and many insurances were helping pay for the sessions.

I think our horses liked going there.

I have my retired horse on free lease to a local therapeutic riding program. We knew about the program and the woman that runs it beforehand, and he’s 10 minutes away from where I board my young horse, so I visit him weekly. We set it up so that he lives for free, but we pay for farrier/vet/dentist. We also buy his ration balancer. He works three days a week in the program and will give up-down lessons to kids once in a while. I still get on a few times per year to ride.

If you’re nervous, get everything in writing and pick a place nearby so you can stop in to visit.