Unlimited access >

Dover Saddlery Store

I’m not sure how many exist, but I do know that there is one about two hours north of where I live. (Winter Park, FL) For those that have been to (either this one or) any Dover Store, what can I expect? What’s the in-store selection like vs the catalog/online? Is it worth a 2 hour drive to putz around and hopefully find a few items that I’d like to try on before buying (half chaps & a new helmet)? Thoughts, please!:smiley:

If you have specific stuff you would like to try, I would call in advance and ask if they have it. I’ve been in a couple and they had decent selection particularly of clothes/ saddlepads but less so tack and bits and nowhere near everything. But the one up here will order things and have them shipped to the store for you so no shipping charges.

Unless you just need to go and Smelllll the store (ahhh, leather), I wouldn’t drive 2 hours. HOWEVER, when their annual Tent Sale is announced, definitely go for that. The bargains are usually worth it.

The Winter Park store has a nice selection of breeches and jackets. I’ve not talked to them about boots but they do have Ariats, Mountain Horse and Middleburg for sure. The supplies section is ok as are the types/sizes of bridles.

You may also want to try the new store opening in Wellington as it’d be about 60-90 minutes south of you if you’re 2 hours south of Winter Park.

As Highflyer said if they don’t have it in the store they will order it.

LetItBe

[QUOTE=LetItBe;7845455]
The Winter Park store has a nice selection of breeches and jackets. I’ve not talked to them about boots but they do have Ariats, Mountain Horse and Middleburg for sure. The supplies section is ok as are the types/sizes of bridles.

You may also want to try the new store opening in Wellington as it’d be about 60-90 minutes south of you if you’re 2 hours south of Winter Park.

As Highflyer said if they don’t have it in the store they will order it.

LetItBe[/QUOTE]

It’s interesting because it’s about 2 1/2 hours from Winter Park to Wellington, but 3 1/2 hours from my location to Wellington. I live on the west coast, wellington is on the east coast, and winter park is smack dab in the middle of the state (northeast of my location); all confusing but basically the interstate that goes from Winter Park to Wellington is a direct shot, and the interstate that goes from my area (Tampa Bay) to Wellington is straight through Alligator Alley and somehow adds another hour to the trip, going around the Everglades.

I really just need to try on a helmet for sizing (mine isn’t marked) and look at some new half chaps and try on before I buy. But unfortunately there aren’t really any good English tack shops in my area that have much of a selection to check up on.

If you go, be sure to take the latest sale catalog with you. The last one I received had sticker on the front that said “take this with you to the store to get these sale prices.” WHHHAAAAT??? Dover is notorious for having multiple prices for the same item. The notion that any large retailer would operate like that astonishes me. If it’s marked down in the catalog it ought to be marked down in the store also.

The Chantilly store near us has a huge selection, especially things related to show hunters. Unfortunately, they don’t usually carry the odd sizes, even in their catalogue. My Irish Draught does not fit in most of their items. I have a large head, and their selection of helmets for me is limited. We do better getting things online from Adams Horse Supply. However, if you and your horse are an average size, Dover should have a great selection for you.

There are two within 45 minutes of me and I grew up near the original in Wellesley, MA (back when Jimmy and David Powers were in the store…long time ago ;)).

I actually do not make a special trip even the 45 minutes. They have a fair amount of stuff, but don’t usually have the off sizes I need to try on in stock in the stores (xslim, tall boots, long length coats, long oval helmets, etc…). The sale basements aren’t that great any more. If you are a normal size and want to try something on it, might be worth a visit. I go if I happen to be in the area for another reason, though I’ll choose Smarkpak over Dover if I’m in that Wellesley/Natick area as the Smarkpak sale loft sometimes DOES have good deals.