Unlimited access >

Doxy's Horse Recovery in Afton, New York sent horses to slaughter

Doxy’s Horse Recovery has sent three horses to the Unadilla Auction in New York since July 2014. All three were purchased by a kill buyer and were sent to Canada to be slaughtered. I personally spoke with the director, Mike Burns. He stated these horses were dangerous and since he couldn’t afford euthanasia, he sent them to auction. Doxy’s Horse Recovery is a 501c3. I asked Mike for the name of the other board members as I wanted to ask the other board members how they felt about their horses being slaughtered at the hands of the rescue. Mike’s response was it was none of my business. Both the Facebook page and website are shut down now. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204708632460687&set=a.1202607990339.2030352.1382781637&type=1&theaternow They are blocking and banning anyone who speaks the truth.

I will never understand why so many rescues are run dishonestly.

It seems to me, not having visited but just watching their website and seeing the horses listed on Craigslist, that many horses have been at the rescue for quite some time. I don’t see any updates on horses so I am not sure that anyone is attempting to add training that will make the horses more adoptable. I am very sorry that they resorted to slaughter.

[QUOTE=commandercody;7742349]
Doxy’s Horse Recovery has sent three horses to the Unadilla Auction in New York since July 2014. All three were purchased by a kill buyer and were sent to Canada to be slaughtered. I personally spoke with the director, Mike Burns. He stated these horses were dangerous and since he couldn’t afford euthanasia, he sent them to auction. Doxy’s Horse Recovery is a 501c3. I asked Mike for the name of the other board members as I wanted to ask the other board members how they felt about their horses being slaughtered at the hands of the rescue. Mike’s response was it was none of my business. Both the Facebook page and website are shut down now. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204708632460687&set=a.1202607990339.2030352.1382781637&type=1&theaternow They are blocking and banning anyone who speaks the truth.[/QUOTE]

Despicable and inexcusable. They obviously knew what they did was wrong, how else can you explain the fact the website is down the the FB page is gone? Apparently Dave was not prepared for the fall out from his actions.

I would like to think perhaps he learned something from his egregious error.

“Couldn’t afford euthanasia”? Why didn’t he try to raise funds? Asshat.

My only thought is that perhaps some people get into rescue not because the animals matter but because they think it’s an easy way to make a buck. This is not to be confused with the hoarder mentality.

From looking at their Facebook page and some comments there it appears they may be more ammie than they want to admit.
Not being a professional and capable of handling all variety of horses is not a bad thing. Not finding more experienced people to help out to handle those horses more advanced than your skill is not smart and in the end the horse suffer.

I dunno’ that this is the case in this situation, but that’s the sense I get from what I’ve read.

Being a ‘rescue’ and having the willingness to take an animal to a sale like Unadilla should never be one/same.

The on FB I found was one where the last post was March of 2013. It had 56 followers. If that’s any indication of how well known and like they are, that’s pretty sad.

I like that this page has actual conversations posted proving the fact, just in case someone tries to pull a Hail Mary in an effort to deny it.

https://www.facebook.com/doxysrecovery

Just about any vet I can think of would donate their time and probably offer the supplies at cost to take care of a situation like that.

Sounds to me like the typical scene of trying to milk the last $100.00 out of them.

Practically anyone can call themselves a “rescue” nowadays, and 501©3 is becoming synonymous with a particular type of human parasite. I would run any “rescue” through a filter like Charity Navigator before touching them with a ten-foot pole. Too many are hoarders with a license to steal money.

A bullet applied correctly is, IMHO, very humane. and dirt cheap.

Time for someone to call the IRS. They are required to divulge certain info. I think the names of board members and their financial statement are supposed to be public. It would not take too much time to find out that info.

[QUOTE=PeteyPie;7743950]
Time for someone to call the IRS. They are required to divulge certain info. I think the names of board members and their financial statement are supposed to be public. It would not take too much time to find out that info.[/QUOTE]

No need for a phone call, Guidstar has their 990s, per their 2013 one the BOD is available, all are located in NY, in that area-ish.
It shows expenses of approx. $28k, and income $500 less.
No paid employees/volunteers

Interesting that the Director was a person in NY NY for the first two 990s on Guidestar and then on the last it’s someone different, in Binghamton.