Unlimited access >

Dreadlocks on yearling

My yearling is shedding his winter coat which was quite spectalular thick and wooly, it is now a mass of dreadlocks handing from his belly and thighs.
I have been trying to brush, his back and ribs look pretty good, but these darn dreadlocks just don’t come out.
They remind me of knots in an ungroomed cat although they don’t seen that close to the skin.
Any ideas? Do I snip them off, thinking of getting the clippers out. TIA

I am not sure if they are still around, but back in the 70s they made those comb things with a razor balde in them. (My dad used them some to ‘pull’ manes…made the critters look like a punk at times, especially the old mare with the super thick hair)

Regardless, that might help you cut the dreads off without bloodshed.

1 Like

Those razor knives still pull, and I think any horse would resent their belly hair getting pulled on, let alone a yearling.

I’d just cut them off, personally.

1 Like

Same.
Trim as much off as you can with scissors, then finish with clippers < assuming yearling is okay with clippers :smirk:

3 Likes

I stole our kid’s old safety scissors and put them in the tack box (the cheap ones in school supplies section). Great for cutting dreads off our baby donkey. He was quite ticklish on his belly.

1 Like

lol, I got a box full of them. Fiskars, too, because every time they go on sale I grab another handful.

And by ‘box full’ I mean in theory, of course. If I actually had them all in a box I would not need to buy more every year!

2 Likes

Rub them all over with Cowboy Magic or Laser Sheen. Or, bathe them and rub them down with Mane and Tail or another good deep conditioner to get that hair to turn loose.

3 Likes

I took the clippers to her last night. She was so matted it actually came off more like a sheep’s wool. Her whole underbelly came off in one piece.
She looks so much better, :slight_smile:

4 Likes