Unlimited access >

Dressage after TKR?

Hi, all. I’m a former eventer who is now focusing on dressage (showing first, schooling second), and I’m just now starting to understand how my seat and legs can work together to help my horse…and I’m scheduled to get a Total Knee Replacement (TKR) in January (and the second knee done soon after). I just want to hear if anyone has come back and been able to be competitive in dressage after one or both knees being replaced. I’d really love to come back and continue working on my Bronze medal. I’m doing exercises, riding every day, rowing machine, walking and stationary bike, and I plan to work hard after surgery–but it would be comforting to know if anyone else has been able to ride dressage post-TKR. TIA!

I have not personally, but I do know of several other people who have had one or both knees replaced and are completing mid level dressage successfully. I also know one person who has had both hips replaced and is competing again. Just follow the PT carefully and you should be ok! Good luck.

3 Likes

I had my left knee replaced in 2016. After 3 months off the horse, I started back up and haven’t quit since. Rode my purebred for two years in sport horse under saddle and English trail, bought a 3 yo part Arab, showed him sport horse under saddle in 2019, went to sport horse nationals in 2019. The plan was always to take him straight dressage after that. I started lessons with him in 2019, of course 2020 wasn’t much of a competition year. In 2021 we qualified at training level for sport horse nationals and were 19th out of 43. We are schooling first now.

Knee has never given me a moment’s trouble during riding or anything else. VERY glad I had it done. My advice to you is to find a great surgeon and follow their instructions exactly. Do your PT and don’t rush getting back in the saddle. Don’t over exercise while you are rehabbing - too much exercise can also cause scar tissue just like too little can. You don’t want that!

Good luck!

1 Like

Not a TKR but a THR. I was back in the saddle 6 weeks post op and am riding better than I have in years.

Good Luck!

2 Likes

6 years out from a TKR on my right knee. At 6 weeks I was back in the saddle albeit at a walk. It was about a year for me until I forgot that I had the surgery. That was due to some residual swelling and numbness. Nagging stuff but it didn’t affect my riding except for how my half chaps fit. Now I am fitter than I was pre-surgery because I can work out without pain. As oldernewbie said, do exactly as you’re told. Find a good PT. Do exactly what they tell you to do. The exercise bike will be your best friend. And don’t forget your pain meds! Really, this is life changing surgery. I’ll be honest. It’s hell immediately after but soon you’ll look back and think why didn’t I do this sooner.

3 Likes

I got a titanium left knee in 2002. I have to stop and think which one was replaced! I put the surgery off for many years…so many that i was eventually walking with a cane.

2 Likes

Why not? Many others have. Do your pt and exercises!!

3 Likes

My knees are good, but I’ve had both hips replaced and I’m riding better than ever. Prosthetic joints, rock! I say go for it.

3 Likes

I had a TKR in early May. My riding ahead of the TKR was very compromised due to pain. I had a very experienced surgeon and I did follow advice including pre op exercise. I choose not to ride for 3 months after more as a break than anything else. I could have ridden at the 6 week point. When I did start up again I had no issues at all and returned to the level of riding I was at prior to the knee problem. Mentally I felt a bit cautious for awhile after but that has passed. The first couple of the weeks after the op are a bit challenging but are manageable with painkillers, ice, some good books and reliable help! I’m glad I had the op.

2 Likes