Unlimited access >

Dressage and Tongues!

Currently I am riding my green Selle Fancais in eventing. She previously have neuropathy to the right side of her tongue causing her tongue to fall out and flap on the right side of her face.

Usually, she only sticks it out when we ride in our D-ring snaffle during dressage. Her tongue does not stick out when we use a Myler combination bit in jumping, but of course it’s not allowed in dressage. The flash also does nothing to keep her tongue in.

She is still green when it comes to showing, so she gets very nervous at shows. In order to keep her in control and her neck to become less tense, I have to do a many half halts on the outside rein, which is what I think is throwing her off. Maybe when she gets more relaxed and shows more self-carriage at the shows, I can do less half-halts, but I’m sure it will be a consistent problem. However, it is not only a problem when I am half-halting because she will do it with little to no pressure on the reins.

I know that the judges have to say something in dressage because it could be related to the horse resisting submission. At the last show I got a 1-2 points off of every maneuver that her tongue was sticking out. Is there some way a judge could know that her tongue is a medical problem, not one dealing with submission?

Also, are there any snaffle bits in particular that I could try that may help? At this point, I am open for anything!

I wish she wouldn’t stick her tongue out at the judge :wink:

There are many snaffle bits made out of different metals, different thickness, french link, Dr. Bristol, flat and “pillow” middle pieces, moving parts - like rollers. You could def. try a few and see if she has a preference.

If this only happens at shows, then take her lots of places and do not even bother getting on until she is comfortable at the new place (like bored asleep comfortable).

Good luck!

Is your D-ring a regular snaffle? Myler makes the comfort snaffles, and since you mention that she does better with her tongue in the Myler combo bit, maybe the Myler comfort snaffle would work for dressage? I use one, and my horse loves it.

If that’s what you’re already using then, hmmm…I’ll have to think more.

USDF rule changes now allow the use of “tongue relief” snaffle bits. In other words there are ported bits which are allowed. I have owned two different horses that just could not tolerate having a bit sit onto their tongues, whether it was a single joint of double jointed snaffle. the swivel type joints of the Myler Comfort Snaffle was an improvement but the tongue wagging didn’t stop entirely until I tried a Myler ported mouthpiece.

“As of February 1st, the United States Equestrian Federation (USEF) officially legalized the 04, 06 and 36 Myler Bits mouth pieces for riding dressage.”

I see that Myler is now producing ported snaffle mouthpieces with dressage legal rings.

chicamuxen

I’m not sure what your horse’s tongue problem means medically, etc., but Philipe Karl school of riding riders have their hands higher and the bit applies to the lips, more than the tongue…it is not something I know about, tho, so sorry if it is a dumb idea.

[QUOTE=Foxtrot’s;7632749]
I’m not sure what your horse’s tongue problem means medically, etc., but Philipe Karl school of riding riders have their hands higher and the bit applies to the lips, more than the tongue…it is not something I know about, tho, so sorry if it is a dumb idea.[/QUOTE]

Only as a transitional stage, ultimate goal is low hands, watch PK ride a finished horse (though I don’t know of any online video)

Check to be sure that the bit is not hanging too low in your horse’s mouth.

You have a PM

Good luck! :slight_smile: