Unlimited access >

Dressage at Thermal in Oct 2021

Has anyone been to this show as a spectator in October in Thermal, California? Any tips?

Thinking it might be a fun couple of days to visit my bff in SD and take my two daughters (in their late 20s)

Unless the whole COVID situation is resolved, they likely will not allow spectators.

That said it’s a great facility.

Well I certainly hope the arrival of COVID19 doesn’t keep us locked down until 2025. Starting to get stupid now.

2 Likes

So what exactly about shutdowns due to a global pandemic that has killed over half a million Americans do you find to be “stupid?”

The OP was asking about a show this year.

9 Likes

No need to virtue signal in my direction. Using my advanced skills of risk management I have assessed that my risk is low and I will be going about my life. Do whatever you like with yours. I could care less.

3 Likes

It’s not a “virtue signal” it’s science. I asked a simple question which you’ve evaded. Perhaps, your “advanced skills” do not include general science, medicine or epidemiology.

BTW, I believe you intended your closing statement to be that you couldn’t care less.

9 Likes

This show takes place 8 months in the future. The OP asked about tips from people who have been to this show before, do you have any suggestions besides something Covid related? Do we have to only talk about sad things? Talking about horse shows doesn’t mean we’re ignoring Covid. If worse comes to worse and the show still doesn’t allow spectators, perhaps that can be addressed later?

4 Likes

Leave it to a certain crowd to look for typos and character flaws rather than substance after that crowd goes to the extra trouble to interject their viewpoint on a controversial topic to the conversation.

Thanks @enjoytheride - Exactly.

1 Like

Perhaps you missed the bit where I said it’s a great facility, however, you’re right that I could have said more, so here goes.

It’s a lovely facility with excellent footing so you don’t need to worry about cancellations because of rain which frequently does happen here in CA (the cancellations, not the rain so much, although it poured the last time I showed there, but I digress). I find the layout to be quite spectator friendly.

Hotels in Thermal proper aren’t plentiful, but there are plenty in Indio and Coachella which are both nearby. The drive between Thermal and San Diego isn’t horrible, although it’s about 150 miles or so.
Restaurants in the area are pretty good overall.

If you have time to spare, I’d recommend a visit to Shields Date Garden where they have an amazing variety of dates available and really great but incredibly sweet date shakes. How can you go wrong at a place that shows an educational film titled “The Romance and Sex Life of Dates?” It’s available online here https://shieldsdategarden.com/ And they are open with COVID protocols in place.

8 Likes

hot tips, thanks!

I have been both a spectator and participant and cannot say enough about this facility. It is a beautiful facility with vendors (good shopping), food, even a separate bar. Its the California version of Global in Florida but on a bit smaller scale. Though its still a very big facility and I highly recommend you reserve a golf cart to move around. There is a lot do around but plan on a 15-20 minute drive to most restaurants and hotels. There are a lot of very nice hotel options in LaQuinta. I just showed there again in February and wish they were able to host more shows.

1 Like