Unlimited access >

Dressage/Boarding/natural trimmer near Denver, Co

I might be moving up to the Denver/Aurora area in the next two months and was curious if there were any members who knew a little about the area.

I currently live in Florida on the east coast about an hour of Ocala (prime horse area!). I pay $350 a month for board…can I expect to pay about the same in Colorado? Can anyone recommend some places for me to check out? I don’t need a great deal of fancy amenities, just a clean place, an arena to train and ample turnout for my pretty lady :slight_smile: I realize I might pay a little more because you probably need inside arenas to ride in the winter (I’ve never lived up north! Winter Newbie :0 )

Also, does anyone know of any barefoot trimmers in this area?

I literally know nothing about the equestrian life in Colorado. Floridians don’t realize it exists where the temperature drops below 50 degrees :wink:

Any information would be highly useful!! Thank you!!

1. Expect to pay double or triple that amount depending on the amenities.
  2. Do not expect to find lots of grassy turnout
  3. When considering keeping your horse barefoot AND riding regularly, there is a reason the Rocky Mountains are called the Rocky Mountains. But yes there are ‘natural’ trimmers / shoers out here

Welcome to Colorado. For dressage things browse rmds.org and the calendar to see what is going on in this area

Ditto what mjhco said. It was a shocker for me too when I moved here from Chicago 13 years ago. Most turnout is in paddocks. True grass turnout is hard to come by unless you opt for pasture board. It is not, however, completely non-existent. For $350/mo you won’t get much more than pasture board or minimalist self-care. Sorry. :frowning: On the bright side, our weather is surprisingly mild for a 4 season climate. It does get to 100 degrees in the summer, but there’s no humidity, so if you’re out of the sun, it’s more comfortable than you might expect. In winter, most days the temp is around or above 40 degrees, again low humidity, so a light jacket will generally suffice. Depending upon the recent snowfall and how well drained the arena is, it is possible to ride outside many days throughout the winter. Having said that, if you’re on a regular training schedule, you will definitely need access to a decent indoor arena.

My 12 year old SWB has her mom’s great feet. She and her mom both have always been barefoot. You won’t have any problem finding a shoer who can do a barefoot trim.

This is where I board: http://meadowbrookec.com/

security cameras in every stall viewable over the internet?! I love it!! But I’d never sleep, and I’d lose my job for sure. I’d be watching him 24/7 :).

Very nice place!