Unlimited access >

Dressage Business Name and Concept

Hello =)

I am in the process of starting my own equestrian business called “Wunderkind Equestrian Sports”. It is centered around combining and cross referencing concepts from classical dressage (german school) and Yoga. Yes, yoga! I found that equestrian yoga can really improve dressage through limbering exercises for horse and rider.

Because this is a fairly novel concept, I am facing difficulties to find a business tagline that explains it all while being interisting and logical. How can I combine and make plausible the concept of dressage in combination with yoga in just a short tagline? Any input and opinions are highlky welcome. So far I came up with these two ideas for taglines:

1) “Wunderkind Equestrian Sports” - where Dressage meets Yoga
2) “…” - German Riding/Dressage meets Yoga
3) “…” where Riding meets Yoga

my problem with all of these is: are they plausible? Do they make sense? Do they require more detailed info?

Any input welcome, I appreciate your help.

Thank you :):):slight_smile:

Is your focus teaching clinics or developing long term clients?
Is your focus more the Yoga or the riding?

I think you need a different word than “meets”

3 Likes

What are you trying to achieve by emphasizing the german-ness of your technique?
In my opinion, you will only pigeonhole yourself and limit business growth.
Let me explain.

I am an amateur rider. I love yoga. I’m always intrigued by things that combine yoga principles with horsemanship. So maybe I’m part of your target demographic.

I’m aware of two training philosophies. French and German.
My perception of German is that it’s forward, forward, forward, first.
My perception of French is that it’s lightness and balance, first.

I’ve ridden with and audited clinics with trainers and coaches who subscribe to both schools.
I’ve seen both schools work.
I’ve found that my current horse responds better to a French technique.

Therefore, I would likely not be attracted to any business that bills itself as “German this” or “German that”.

My advice, keep your business name simple and neutral, and let your method speak through its results.

(And to anyone who would start a discussion: let’s not make this a thread about definitions of German or French, unless the OP wants it to go that direction. I’m simply sharing (a greatly simplified version of) my perceptions and understanding in order to explain how it would inform my decisions to engage with a business or not.)

7 Likes

First, Wunderkind translates as wonder child or child genius so I see that name and immediately think it’s a kids program and scroll past. Get rid of the kindergarten connotations.

Second there is a huge market for equestrian exercise programs but you want to market it broader than just dressage or classical German dressage or whatever. You need to make it accessible sounding to all the rather stiff middle aged re riders who are desperate for something like that but might be intimidated by the dressage component. They also won’t think of themselves as Wonder Children, quite the opposite!

Finally have you researched the competition? Your idea is not that original and you may find ideas in how others approach equestrian fitness.

For instance in my region we have a good dressage coach and Pilates instructor who does excellent seat and fitness clinics. There is also that online dressage fitness program that is always emailing me about their 12 week you tube program.

What do you do in either the fitness or the riding component that is better than what is available in your area? Do you have credentials in training and showing? What is your yoga training? In other words if I lived 5 miles from you why would I go to you and not just do yoga at the community center and continue lessons with my coach?

I’ve had some exposure to poorly taught riding instructor and yoga teachers, so I am very picky about both!

8 Likes

This was my first reaction as well

1 Like

OP, I think the tag line “Where dressage meets yoga” is fine. You use the inclusive word, “dressage” (but more specific and high-end than riding); the Wunderkind words lets anyone know that you have German roots somewhere in the riding half of things. I think “meets” sounds welcoming and/or like a cool combination of two schools.

1 Like

Incorporating yoga in progressive training for horse and rider.

3 Likes

Get rid of the wunderkind name, very unprofessional… I wouldn’t ride with you.

1 Like

Is “Wunderkind” a placeholder for your name (i.e. company name would be “Jane Smith Equestrian Sports”) or is Wunderkind the actual word you’re planning to use within the company name?

If the former, no issues with it. If the latter…erm…I’d keep brainstorming for above PP’s reasons.

Agree with MVP that “Where dressage meets yoga” is an informative, easy-to-understand, but simple tag line that works well.

2 Likes

I think the Wunderkind name might cause some of your clients to say, “Oh yeah? Who do she thinks she is?” FWIW, that might be a bit on your clients’ side of the street and not yours. It would be rude to say more, so I won’t. Just consider the possibility that this would be the effect you are creating with that name. I could be wrong.

Speaking for myself, it wouldn’t offend me. But there are lots of miraculously talented trainers out there who can ride… but can’t teach. I’d be loath to take lessons from someone who didn’t know how to communicate their gifts to the non-gifted rider. And so I’d ask myself, “Well, how awesome for that pro that she’s a ‘child genius,’ but what does that mean about what I can get out of our lessons together?”

3 Likes

I took Wunderkind to be describing the clientele, and seriously if you asked me what the company was I’d say “an after school math tutoring program for elementary school children run out of a strip mall in the suburbs.” (very popular with our large upwardly mobile immigrant communities) I can even see the logo in big bubbly red and yellow letters. In other words nothing about it says yoga, horses, or adults.

If Wonderkind to refer to the teacher that would indeed be laughable. It is like calling your company Child Genius.

Really if you want to attract dressage riders and feel like you need a German word the one that comes to mind is schadenfreude. :slight_smile:

But seriously, a name in English that describes what you do is far better at communicating your core message without having to read the tagline.

Play around with names that combine both yoga and horses. The only one that comes to mind right now is Downward Facing Rider, which really isn’t the right message.

Yoga4Riding. Balanced Rider Yoga. Etc. I googled yoga studios and they all seem to say yoga in the company name.

We should be able to just see the company name and know what you do.

The only sector this isn’t true is tech world apps where things get silly names that kind of apply once you know what the app does. Or maybe trendy restaurants or bars where you see the name on the building and figure out its food service.

Every other service out there has a name that actually describes what they do.

4 Likes

So true!! LOL

I like ‘where riding meets yoga’ because I feel that it would appeal to riders of all disciplines. Unless you specifically want to stick to dressage riders, in which case I’d go with ‘where dressage meets yoga’.

Sounds like a good business idea, I find yoga hard myself but I’ll do anything that people tell me will improve my riding!

As it hasn’t been said, this actually isn’t a novel concept :wink: but that doesn’t mean there’s not room for more.

1 Like

If you intend to teach yoga to riders, you will have quite a lot of competition. It’s worth looking over a bunch of websites to see how your competitors describe this business.

If you intend to have horses/riders in training, and incorporate yoga as homework/warm-up - the other aspects of what you offer are as much if not more important.

1 Like

I think fitness for riding is a great idea. How ever I started amusing myself with thinking about what a yoga/dressage mash up would look like.

First, you’d have to wear white yoga pants. Then you’d be scored on a scale of 1 to 10 on every pose and transition. With overall bonus points for grace, poise, and length of stride. You need to score 60 % on the sun salutation (impulsion, balance. flow, shwung) to move up to the next level. But to keep it accessible there would be big rosettes for the Chair Yoga Champion.

For the horses, every horse would go at his own pace and listen to his body. The horse would be encouraged to breathe deep and meditate. No mirrors, and absolutely no comparing or competing with each other. At the end of the training session the horses would all lie down and play dead for 15 minutes.

2 Likes

Ha!!!:smiley: