Unlimited access >

Dressage Legal Tongue Relief Bit Options

Horse has made it very clear he needs tongue relief, what are my best options? I just ordered to try a Myler 33WL only to realize while it’s USDF legal, it’s not USEA Dressage. Currently using a Myler 04 Dee after initially trying single joint loose ring, eggbutt oval double joint, KK Ultra Loose Ring, Myler Loose Ring Comfort Snaffle, Myler Dee Comfort Snaffle. Mouth has been checked by vet who specializes in equine dentistry; horse is very slightly parrot mouthed, but nothing else out of the ordinary.

I just went through this with my green TB. We tried the Herm Sprenger Duo, but he chewed it up before long. They’re also pretty pricey. I found the Shires Blue Alloy Mullen Mouth and he’s much happier with that. It’s way more budget friendly and durable too.

1 Like

@RedRyderKy - resurrecting this thread because I have the same question. Did you find a usea dressage legal option?

This bit changed my mare’s life for the better.

1 Like

I thought most of the tongue relief bits were in fact legal?

Eg: the Bomber Happy Tongue mouth piece is pictured as #14 with a checkmark.

They are permitted so long as they are under 30mm. From pg. 12:

c. May have a slightly curved port, allowing more room for the tongue. The maximum height is 30mm from the lower part of the side of the tongue to the highest point of the deviation.

USDF’s rules are similar regarding ports; might be a slightly lower height limit for them. But I know I measured my mare’s beloved Shires bit and it was acceptable for both USEA and USDF.

Old topic, but wanting to check if this bit is indeed legal for Eventing dressage now. The 2022 updated annex looks like it may be, but just wanted to see if anyone was positive.