Unlimited access >

Dressage Lessons near Montclair, NJ

Hello all!

I posted almost a year ago looking for a place teaching dressage lessons in southern NJ. Unfortunately real life got in the way, and I was unable to go for lessons this past year. I’ll be transferring to a new college in the coming fall and I’ll be there for a few years. I was hoping to check out a few potential barns when I get up in the area in a few weeks time. I did a bit of googling, but a sometimes the best places are found by word of mouth, so I figured I would come back over to you lovely people!

I’ll be at Montclair State University, which is in Essex County, NJ. The school does not have a collegiate team, so I’m looking for a place where I can take 1-3 private one hour lessons per month on weekends. I’d like for it to be within about an hour driving distance, as renting cars for the day can get expensive.

As for experience, I rode for 10 years, then stopped about 3 years ago. so I know the basics, but it sure as heck would not be pretty. I’d like to have the opportunity to ride a schoolmaster-type lesson horse, so having available horses is a big must-have. An indoor facility would be nice, as September - May in northern NJ isn’t exactly the most weather friendly area. Showing opportunities would be nice, but really not necessary. I’d just be happy sitting on a horse at this point, I don’t need to show.

My last nitpick is that I would really like for it to be a dressage only trainer. I’ve done my time with local H/J types and I have zero interest in jumping anymore. There are lovely H/J types who teach “dressage,” but I would really rather someone who is going to be a little more classical (dare I say legitimate?) in their teaching, not just plain riding on the flat with long stirrups.

You all were so helpful last time, Thank you all in advance!

Look up Marion Georgiev and Chisamba Farm. She’s got a great program in NJ.

1 Like