Unlimited access >

Dressage - Michael Barisone

Hesitate to ask… but what is happening with Michael Barisone and the trial? I have not been able to find any information.

Still waiting. Trying to find the “lauren tapes”

allegedly.

she or the duchess will screed and extoll in turn.

beware what you ask for

18 Likes

@Haybert - do you mean the proceedings are stalled b/c they are looking for the tapes LK/GG made at the barn?

2 Likes

Thanks, was just curious since there are no updates. Agree, best not to provoke, we will hear when there is something to hear about. thanks again.

2 Likes

I believe part of the delay is the whole Covid thing.

4 Likes

yes, significant impact on courts. Varies obviously by state/region but for certain there is a backlog.

3 Likes

[Wave]

4 Likes

Aaaaaaannnd they’re off!

13 Likes

NJ courts are still doing virtual hearings, but trials have not started yet. There have been a few hearings regarding MB’s case, but no real news yet.

15 Likes

TTGT, were those hearings regarding the civil suit(s) or the criminal case?

2 Likes

The criminal case.

1 Like

I’m curious. What does this do to the accused right to a speedy trial? Isn’t he being held? Or is he out?

2 Likes

He is being held.

From what I learned in the other threads, he is in a no bail state so you are either let out or held. This is an attempted murder trial so he is held.

1 Like

Correct NJ has “bail reform” so you are either in or out. The judge decided to keep MB in, not all accused of attempted murder are kept in, but because this is a high profile case it swayed the judge’s decision. The “right to a speedy trial” is a joke and a catch phrase to make people that have never been in jail happy.

12 Likes

I was thinking about the people caught up in the delays in the court system due to COVID. Not necessarily just Michael. I am sure there are a lot of people in jail that are waiting for their trials that have had their dates pushed back.

Any updated on when the trial will start?

2 Likes

I was wondering the same - seems a very long time…

1 Like

Yes, certainly not speedy!

4 Likes

I’m not a fan of Michel Barisone, but I’m glad that he will probably get the vaccine soon.

1 Like

It’s typical for a murder trial to take a long time to actually come to fruition.

The speedy trial right is something your lawyer can force for you, but it may not be in your best interest versus exercising your full right of discovery to find and organize potentially exculpatory evidence/witnesses. When the balance of your life in prison is on the line, a mistake can be made. If you are found guilty of a lesser crime, generally your time spent in prison awaiting trial will be credited towards any sentence received (“sentenced to time served”)

The longer both sides have to prepare, the more arguments you can be prepared to answer in your defense.

8 Likes