Unlimited access >

Dressage newbie needs help with show attire! - Also, what else should I know?

About to start my first season showing dressage! I’m terribly excited but also a bit concerned… The only English showing I’ve done so far was IHSA, so I’m a bit clueless as to what’s appropriate for a formal dressage show (I’ll be showing training-first at RMDS and USDF shows - and riding my leased horse, an eight-year-old pure black 18 hand PercheronXFriesian mare!). I’m a port college kid, and entry fees alone are a big chunk out of my budget so I can’t spend much on show clothes for the time being.

My standard show attire for the Hunter classes I’ve been doing is:
-black gloves (not fancy, just schooling gloves)
-tan breeches with knee patches (I’m guessing I’ll need to get some white ones? Maybe full seat?)
-white collared show shirt
-dark navy jacket
-basic black boots
-black helmet (should I get a cover and make it look nice?)

Can I get away with using this gear? Or do I really need a black dressage coat to be taken seriously? Basically what are the requirements and expectations?

Also interested in hearing how the expectations change based on your level. I.e., will I need new gear if/when I advance to second? Third? What about if I’m riding I1? PSG? Even Gp? (I know Im years away from that but if I get new show gear I’d like it to be useful for higher levels as well. Like I said, poor college kid.)

Any other tips regarding horse or rider turnout or advice for someone who hasn’t shown before would also be awesome!

thanks very much!

EDIT: in case it’s relevant, I’m going for my Bronze medal. Eventually. And no I’m not sure what I have to submit/ where I need to register to do that.

www.usef.org

the rule book is here.

If you are going to show you need to look at the dressage rules. Even if you don’t show, look at them, they are well written

your outfit is fine. Basic hunter turnout if fine for the beginning of your show career. In dressage it is about the horse and the training, not your turn out. Often judges dont really notice.

If you change one thing in the future, you can move on to a dressage frock coat. Right now your hunt coat is fine. You can wear a black frock coat through the FEI levels at national shows.

You need to double check your neck wear. A choker is fine, a stock tie is usual.

If I was going to invest in anything right now it would be black show gloves. Just for a touch of refinement. Have a practice ride or two in them.

I think your attire will be fine for Training and First Level. I wouldn’t recommend blowing your starving student budget on new show clothes, especially as you’re just starting out. If your helmet looks rough, maybe dress it up with a black velvet cover. If you’re afraid to stand out, buy some white breeches (no need to bust the bank, I actually show FEI levels in Tuff Rider breeches which are stretchy and way more comfortable than the pricey brands, and your coat and boots hide everything but your thighs and knees anyway). If you have field boots, down the road you’ll want to get dress boots.

You’ll be better off spending more energy/money on your riding/lessons and less on blinged out rhinestone browbands, Pikeur breeches, whatever. I’ve never been a particularly stylish dresser and I’ve done just fine at all levels. I don’t think the judges really notice with all the other stuff they have to look at.

I really like these nets for containing long hair: https://www.dressageextensions.com/ProductDetail.asp?KEY=6369. (Not that brand in particular, just the first photo I found. You can often buy them from vendors at the shows.)

Braid your horse’s mane but not the tail.

Re: the Bronze Medal, you don’t have to register in advance or anything. After you earn the required scores, you just fill out a form. Very easy!

Good luck and have fun!!

[QUOTE=zaparaquah;8113929]
About to start my first season showing dressage! I’m terribly excited but also a bit concerned… The only English showing I’ve done so far was IHSA, so I’m a bit clueless as to what’s appropriate for a formal dressage show (I’ll be showing training-first at RMDS and USDF shows - and riding my leased horse, an eight-year-old pure black 18 hand PercheronXFriesian mare!). I’m a port college kid, and entry fees alone are a big chunk out of my budget so I can’t spend much on show clothes for the time being.

My standard show attire for the Hunter classes I’ve been doing is:
-black gloves (not fancy, just schooling gloves)
-tan breeches with knee patches (I’m guessing I’ll need to get some white ones? Maybe full seat?)
-white collared show shirt
-dark navy jacket
-basic black boots
-black helmet (should I get a cover and make it look nice?)

Can I get away with using this gear? Or do I really need a black dressage coat to be taken seriously? Basically what are the requirements and expectations?

Also interested in hearing how the expectations change based on your level. I.e., will I need new gear if/when I advance to second? Third? What about if I’m riding I1? PSG? Even Gp? (I know Im years away from that but if I get new show gear I’d like it to be useful for higher levels as well. Like I said, poor college kid.)

Any other tips regarding horse or rider turnout or advice for someone who hasn’t shown before would also be awesome!

thanks very much!

EDIT: in case it’s relevant, I’m going for my Bronze medal. Eventually. And no I’m not sure what I have to submit/ where I need to register to do that.[/QUOTE]

If you’re going to spend the money to do recognized shows I would cancel one and spend the money on a proper helmet that you keep nice only for shows (no plastic schooling helmet, though you do see people in them, something nice like a one-k or Gr8, like most people will wear) and white breeches. I’d spend the money on the helmet before breeches, personally, if you’re worried about “fitting in” since there will be hunter converts at local level shows, but a plastic helmet in a velvet cover will stand out.

You’ll need white gloves at the higher levels and a proper black frock coat but navy is fine for training level.

Here’s another take. What you have now will do.

As your finances improve , if your hands are good, you may want to buy some white gloves, Your next purchase would be white breeches. Make sure they fit, and are comfortable. The more expensive ones are frequently worth it in durability. Field boots are fine. Just be clean, neat and comfortable.

It is about the horse. Make sure his turnout is spotless, his tack fits correctly, and I’m of the mind that bling is silly, fun maybe, but silly.

One of the nice things about showing dressage is that there is a FAR smaller “fashion factor” than at hunter shows. Everything you have right now will work for recognized dressage shows.

Make the horse the focus. The quality of the training, the quality of the riding, and the health of the horse is what the judge Notices. A glowing, healthy, well trimmed and braided horse is the best turnout you can have.

Tips:
Read the rule book!

As far as clothing goes:
Make sure everything is CLEAN and fits correctly. Get your hunt coat tailored unless it’s already perfect. A $50 used hunt coat, tailored looks better than an untailored $350 pikuer with sleeves too long and a baggy waist.

If you want to upgrade, keep your eyes on used tack. eBay and Facebook are wonderful resources. Last year I found a pair of show-ready Petries on eBay for $72.00. Including shipping (really). I know my measurements in various brands, and also have found pikuer and Eurostar show breeches for under $100.

Possibly the first upgrade to your outfit would be white breeches.
I’ve recently seen people showing in the recently introduced very inexpensive Ovation helmets that look surprisingly good. One of those may be another upgrade if your helmet is really scuffed .

If you want to improve your scores, Spend your money on lessons, not “stuff”.

I agree your current attire is adequate.

USDF Member Guide see pg. 20 for requirements for the Bronze Medal Award.

I’d be spending some time now making sure that you have all your paperwork lined up for your shows. There’s nothing like trying to complete your entry and submit it on the competition opening date, only to discover that you are missing something. Will your horse need a current Coggins? I think for USDF/USEF competitions, horses need either a USDF lifetime horse registration number or a USDF horse ID number. Your RMDS group membership # is enough for your scores to count towards a Bronze Medal. Be sure you don’t want to try to qualify for Regionals or a USDF year-end horse award; you need to have a Participating Membership (more $) before your scores count for that. Talk to your coach and clarify goals for this year. Read through the RMDS Omnibus and see if you want to aim for any RMDS awards.

Good luck and have fun!

OP, also make sure that your bit is legal. Some of the things that people use in H/J aren’t legal in dressage and they do check for this!

Since you will be showing some RMDS shows. The RMDS are considered “Level 1” shows so you have more relaxed requirements for attire.

And WELCOME!

[QUOTE=SnicklefritzG;8114209]
OP, also make sure that your bit is legal. Some of the things that people use in H/J aren’t legal in dressage and they do check for this![/QUOTE]

The horse I’m riding is dressage only and ridden in a french link snaffle.

[QUOTE=Scarlet Gilia;8114152]
I agree your current attire is adequate.

USDF Member Guide see pg. 20 for requirements for the Bronze Medal Award.

I’d be spending some time now making sure that you have all your paperwork lined up for your shows. There’s nothing like trying to complete your entry and submit it on the competition opening date, only to discover that you are missing something. Will your horse need a current Coggins? I think for USDF/USEF competitions, horses need either a USDF lifetime horse registration number or a USDF horse ID number. Your RMDS group membership # is enough for your scores to count towards a Bronze Medal. Be sure you don’t want to try to qualify for Regionals or a USDF year-end horse award; you need to have a Participating Membership (more $) before your scores count for that. Talk to your coach and clarify goals for this year. Read through the RMDS Omnibus and see if you want to aim for any RMDS awards.

Good luck and have fun![/QUOTE]

I’m pretty sure the horse is USDF lifetime registered and UTD on everything. I, however do not have any registry memberships of any kind. What do I need to get??

Your attire sounds absolutely fine. As far as memberships - you will need a USDF participating membership and a USEF membership. You can still show without them but you’ll have to pay the non-member fees and you will not be eligible to qualify for regional championships or for year end awards. If you’re going to do more than a show or two you might as well purchase the memberships because you’ll spend more money on the non-member fees.

OP - there is a growing movement away from black coats. Many navy, some gray and some brown showing up in the dressage ring.
I just bought a stretchy soft shell RD Classics coat; love it for here in the south, it is much cooler and more comfortable. It is Navy.

Also when you buy new breeches, it is not NECESSARY to have full seats, though most of the white ones seem to have that. I’m about to spring for a pair of white w/ the dark gray seat area.

Also re the horse: most people show in a white pad - keep one or two “special” for showing. That said, I show a gray, almost white horse, and he looks better in a black pad, so that’s what I use.

Also note that I showed for almost two years before buying a “dressage” coat; my navy (pinstripe) coat worked just fine, even when I went to regionals.

We may be DQ’s but are much less neurotic than the hunter world when it comes to this stuff, lol.

When I was in the north we had some shows in not-so-warm weather; I used a white turtleneck under my show coat. No problem.

The basic wardrobe is fine really until you get to PSG, when you will WANT (but not need) to wear a shadbelly; they also can be found in multiple dark colors.

Definitely don’t need a shadbelly for FEI (unless you are at a CDI).

Last weekend I was at a show where both Open riders wore short coats at PSG. One, because she was on a younger horse who had freaked out at the tails at home before the show, and the other was a last-minute catch ride who didn’t bring her tailcoat because she wasn’t expecting to ride (I was recovering from the stomach flu, but wanted my horse to see the ring before I tried to show, and my shadbelly was way too big for her).

Your attire is fine BUT, you might feel more comfortable at a recognized dressage show in WHITE breeches. You can wear inexpensive white ones, no one can tell how much you spent.

You will see lots of navy show coats, and even some grey coats, but at a USDF recognized show, there will not be too many riders in tan breeches. So I’m just looking out for you fashion-wise. The judge won’t care that your breeches are tan, but you might.

I second Libby2563 re the Tuff Rider pants. I had a pair of Romphs and needed a second pair of white breeches. I decided it was crazy to spend a lot of money on the breeches so I went with Tuff Riders for the second pair. They clean up better and look just as nice. With regard to buying a frock. Unless you are 5’10" and weigh 110 lbs, it will just make you look dumpy. I have one and have always hated it. If you are going to buy a jacket, get one of the shorter techno ones. So much more stylish and comfortable to wear.

All that being said, what you have is fine. You may look slightly different from most folks at the show, but your money is better spent on other things such as lessons and necessities for your horse. The clothes can wait.