Unlimited access >

Dressage Pony Breed/Breeders Recommendations - Update Post 57

Thank you! Yes, that’s what I’m looking for. I’ve even given up my 6 year facebook embargo, since I think you’re right that this is a great way to connect and see what’s out there. If you have any specific groups that you recommend, I’m all ears!

In no particular order:
Connemaras & Connemara Crosses or at stud North America
Connemaras or Connemara crosses of NA group
Connemara breeders in North America
Connemaras and Irish sport horses USA
Connemaras and crosses in North America
Dressage Connemara ponies & crosses
N.A. Connemara & Connemara crosses news
American Connemara Pony Society (unofficial)

Connemaras and crosses in North America has the most members. That, the Dressage, and the unofficial ACPS are the ones I personally follow the most.

Trevelyan Farm breeds some lovely ponies…Lauren Chumley has a GP New Forrest one for sale on her FB page.

My colt is out of Topgun. I’m not certain you can go wrong with a Topgun foal, if you can find one for sale.

1 Like

They aren’t super easy to come by, but I have a couple I’m looking at. I like that he is a little finer than some of the Con stallions I’ve seen and everyone I’ve heard from with one of his offspring seems very happy with them. Would love to hear about and see your boy if you feel like sharing! :smiley:

I have updated pictures of him under the 2022 foal watch. He is super easy to handle, but his mother is the same way. I’m expecting him to be over 15 hands, so definitely oversized. Probably going to be stocky like his mom. He’s definitely not a very reactive horse. Not spooky at all.

I’m going to send you a pm.

1 Like

Thanks again to everyone for their shared information and wisdom on here! I’m putting down a deposit on the colt option for a TopGun baby this week and excited to see what happens. Crossing my fingers for a healthy baby boy.

Dam is not small (Holsteiner x TB) so this will probably be a leggy little thing! My dressage trainer still thinks I’m insane, but I’m optimistic about tractability/brain and think there is a good market for the youngster down the road if someday I decide it isn’t quite right for me. My event trainer supports the idea and is impressed by dam, sire and full siblings, so at least I’m 1 for 2 :wink:

2 Likes

Fingers crossed that all goes well and you get a healthy baby! As someone who has purchased in-utero before, I would strongly recommend getting insurance asap. Most companies will provide mortality coverage at 24 hours old after a vet/IGG check. Then you can add medical at 30 days.

Yes, thank you! I’m all for insuring ASAP.

The breeder recommended a company that would offer coverage after the first vet appt and then segueing into full/medical coverage at 30 days. I’d love suggestions for any companies/providers you all have been happy with, as this is uncharted territory for me!

I used Markel.
I insured the pregnancy, and then was insured upon birth. That’s a really big deal. DO NOT skip the birth to 30 days part, Even if you have to do it as a completely separate policy.

I end up losing that foal to C-Diff, which was contracted upon birth. The baby went straight to ICU and $12,000 and 10 days later was euthanized. It was absolute fucking nightmare.

It would’ve been much worse without insurance which fully covered the baby plus another $10,000. This was a high dollar baby, with verifiable price for selling as a healthy foal… you have to provide comps in order to ensure for various value amounts.

I used Broadstone as my agent and Hartford was the insurance company. Had excellent experience with them. My foal ended up passing at 2 weeks old and it was a bit of an emergency euthansia situation. Hartford was easy to deal with, no arguments about proceeding with euthanasia and paid out quickly.

I did not have to provide comps for my foal since I had a purchase agreement and could provide proof of value. I believe if you are insuring your own foal then you would likely have to provide comps to prove value.

Thank you! I’ve reached out to both for a quote for coverage beginning at 24-48 hours pending timing of the “well foal” check. I didn’t need comps since I’ll be able to document a purchase price. The reps I’ve spoken with have been delightfully horse-savvy (“unless you’re going to bubble wrap it and keep it in a padded stall, I’d recommend immediate coverage…”)

I’m sorry to hear about both of your losses. I live in fear of c-diff and actually NEEDING this insurance.

@VolteSomeday - I’ve been reading this post with great interest and want to say a huge congrats on your purchase!! I don’t think you’re crazy at all (lol!) and I’m sure you will have the most perfect and healthy colt. Please keep us informed and post lots of pictures when he arrives!

I was also wanting a small horse for myself (more for hunters or jumpers) and I leased a family bred 14h pony (BRP x Welsh) to a 17h Hanoverian last year. We had some issues but she took on the 2nd try at the clinic. He was born this past June and had some slight issues, but all has worked out and he’s a beautiful dark bay colt that I’ve always wanted. I was hoping for something around the 15h mark and I suspect he may finish around there or a bit bigger even. He was a huge foal with legs forever and is about 13.3h now at 7 months old. We shall see how he finishes!

2 Likes

Thanks for the kind words and another tally in the “not totally crazy” column, lol!

I checked out your boy on the 2022 Foal Watch thread and he is gorgeous :heart_eyes: I will definitely update if we get the boy I’m hoping for!

2 Likes

Speaking of dressage… My colt was running in the pasture this morning and his extended trot was absolutely floating. I was badly wishing for a camera but I was certain by the time I got one out he would probably stop. So no pictures.

I don’t think you will be disappointed. Congratulations! And fingers crossed for a colt.

2 Likes

@4horses - that always happens when we don’t have our cameras lol!!

Update! I had the colt option on a TopGun baby, so naturally it was a filly. Long story short, I decided I liked the cross enough to go ahead anyway and am now the proud owner of a little buckskin heap of knees and elbows. She’s 5 days old and still stretching out a bit (had some mildly contracted tendons at birth) but otherwise she’s pretty perfect :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Congrats!!! Post a picture if you have one :slight_smile: FWIW, I personally think fillies are better anyway :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Fillies are way better!! Congratulations. I can’t wait to see pictures.

I’m glad to hear that! I’ve only had colts, but couldn’t say no to this :slight_smile:!
image|666x500

11 Likes