Unlimited access >

Dressage Saddle recommendation for WB/TB Cross with TB withers!

I’m primarily a jumper, but ride and flat with a dressage foundation (or at least try to!). Dabbling more in dressage now, and really want to buy a saddle. I have read several threads, but I’m looking for recommendations, as I do NOT know where to start! (It took me forever to find a jumping saddle I love!).

Here is a side view of my boy. He’s a Holsteiner/TB Cross. 16.2, and generally a medium tree. As you can see, he’s got the TB withers. Topline is coming along, and has changed a bit since this pic.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7za0p6jc9gesg9t/AAA2m-nrPm7jJmNiOajx_JU5a?dl=0

Please tell me what saddles you LOVE, and might fit my kid! I am considering Black Country, County, Kieffer Wein or Prestige 2000D, but open to suggestions! Would prefer to not spend over $1000 right now, so please keep that in mind! TIA!!!

I’d recently bought a medium Kieffer Wein for my mare - TB who thinks she’s a WB - she has withers, but not super curvy and a good topline. The Kieffer was fine in the shoulder area, but the channel was super narrow on her spine - did NOT work for us. A shame, as it was comfy, and cheap! I had a fitter out, and he recommended a Black Country Eloquence. You’ll likely see my various threads asking about similar fitting saddles - and many saddle fitters noted BCs are kind of unique, but Baines Elegance is similar to the Eloquence. I was patient, and looking around, found a BC Eloquence for ~$1300.

In my hunt, Jay at Trumbull was more than willing to help, and Colleen at advanced saddle fit was awesome - we emailed a bit and she was tremendous, but I was able to find the BC in my budget, so didn’t need her offered help after that point. But totally recommend contacting her! I found out about her from other threads on here. I also heard back from Pelham-Saddlery, and they have a good selection and great trial policy.

Good luck!

I have had great luck with Lovatt and Ricketts saddles for that type: wide gullet with lots of spine clearance, tons of shoulder room, and panels that work for significant withers.

Not as popular a brand, but I love mine.

Thank you both! Awesome advice, that helps!!

I have TBs who have table backs and TB withers.
I use a wide saddle with a home made gusset…since they need Wide for their backs and Medium for their withers.

Shoot me a pm with your email or number and ill send a pic of it.

1 Like

Frank Baines Reflex / Pirouette (former name) fits a high withered TB cross. It offers a wider seat area and a monoflap.

1 Like

Many of those crosses have the withers but a very broad midback and although they have withers, some are more broad in the withers or in the trapezius area. Therefore, a saddle that is too angular might dig into the back but too broad a saddle might sit down on the withers.

I would suggets sending tracings and info to a fitter or have someone come to you. Another photo such as this one:
One from the back, behind the tail on a mounting block looking down on the back, head straight
would help determine your horse’s needs more effectively.

1 Like

Many of those crosses have the withers but a very broad midback and although they have withers, some are more broad in the withers or in the trapezius area. Therefore, a saddle that is too angular might dig into the back but too broad a saddle might sit down on the withers.

I would suggets sending tracings and info to a fitter or have someone come to you. Another photo such as this one:
One from the back, behind the tail on a mounting block looking down on the back, head straight
would help determine your horse’s needs more effectively.

1 Like