dressage saddles

This is me researching for the future, when paying 3k is more justafiable lol.

Im wondering which saddles you found most comfortable and supporting?

I have a checkmate one now, works well for me now but if i go up more levels i will need something more fitted and padded as it hurts my hips a liitle already. Ive ridden in chelderic and thorse are lovely, barnsby all i can say is oww.

What about stubben juvuntus s? Im short so young riders saddles could work. how are stubbens? Ive only ridden in a flat cc stubben so i cant go off that

I like a Marcus Krehan (my favorite) Kieffers, Tudors, and COUNTIES!

It depends on our skeletal structure exactly which you will prefer. I despise Stubben. Can’ give me a brand new one!

I hate Barnsby’s, too. It DOES have to do with your structure, which saddles work for you.

I have a student who rides in a Duett Fidelio and a Thornhill Vienna. Both comfy saddles and reasonably deep seats. Not as deep as a Trilogy or some of the Lovatt & Ricketts. Reasonably priced, too. Nowhere near $3000.

What about prestiege? I saw one in a local shop and was drooling.

My coach’s schlesses look sooo frickin comfy

The Prestige saddles are also UBER comfy and the 2000D (the one I’ve had the most experience with) is very supportive.

There are some saddles calling themselves “Prestige” on eBay and other places. The Italian ones are what i’m talking about…

I like Passiers, Albions and Neidersuss saddles, too. Neidersuss models run around $2000, give or take a couple hundred, depending on the model. My albion Original comfort cost $700 used and another $200 to have it reflocked. Nice saddle for $900!

Used Passiers can be had, but they retain their value so bargains are hard to find.

What about excelle saddles? My friend has a cc one and loofffs it

Also i have a bit of a hip issue, would a narrrow twist be better than a wide?

For a dressage saddle, I would recommend a Schleese.
For a jumping saddle, I would recommend a Schleese.

The best part is that they are right down the road from you, and you’ll be able to get fitted quickly.
Yes, these saddles are expensive, if you buy one new. I have been lucky enough to buy both a jump and a dressage saddle used- they fit me beautifully- and have been repeatedly fit to my horse as he’s muscled and changed. The purchase price of BOTH my Schleese saddles total the investment in building/fitting/refitting/new tree/ more refitting I have in my original custom made saddle. (I won’t mention the saddle maker but he fits US Olympians.) That saddle was just never right for my horse, contantly causing wither pocket pressure, spine pressure, and discomfort. My Schleese saddles, I believe, have saved my horse’s back, and extended his life. And they are incredibly comfy! Go to a local saddle fitting when you can- people come and watch and learn at ones at our barn all the time. You may have a chance to sit in a number of saddles, and see which seat feels goof for you and what size you take. Then the e-bay search can begin…
Good luck!

I have just gotten a new Stubben Genesis D with Biomex seat. I have only had one ride in it so far but the Biomex sure is helping my back and sore hip. It is deep seated too and puts you close to the horse.

I second the Schleese. I have scoliosis and the Schleese I sat in was by far and away the most comfortable saddle I have sat in.

I had a Prestige 2000D and they are very comfy and supportive, but the twist can get a little wide if you move to a wider tree, and they have huge blocks, which can cause some pain in the hip flexors. I have an Albion SLK with the narrow seat option, short flaps, and extra padding in the seat bone area. I also got the blocks on velcro so I could move them around as needed. I’ve had it for three years and it’s been great.